• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GCD and CGC labeling
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have a few books that aren't listed in the GCD (eg they're Canadian variants).

Do they need to be registered there if I request CGC to include "Canadian Edition" on the label?

Thanks

On 8/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, Mavrick76 said:

I have a few books that aren't listed in the GCD (eg they're Canadian variants).

Do they need to be registered there if I request CGC to include "Canadian Edition" on the label?

Thanks

You can always add the books to the GCD yourself and then make the request.

Probably better to contact cgc directly to get the most current and accurate information on this

good luck

@Mavrick76

If you have the time to put them into GCD, all us nerds of "foreign" books would be super excited and pleased to see it!  I have done a few (fully indexed), and it is time-consuming.  At the very least, if there are no pictures of the books you have - upload a scan (please).

CGC has their own methods of identifying comics.  There were/have-been many threads trying to inform/guide CGC of "best practices", but alas....  Poor Yorick will need to label his comics himself.  :cry:  lol

On 8/10/2024 at 9:14 PM, Yorick said:

@Mavrick76

If you have the time to put them into GCD, all us nerds of "foreign" books would be super excited and pleased to see it!  I have done a few (fully indexed), and it is time-consuming.  At the very least, if there are no pictures of the books you have - upload a scan (please).

CGC has their own methods of identifying comics.  There were/have-been many threads trying to inform/guide CGC of "best practices", but alas....  Poor Yorick will need to label his comics himself.  :cry:  lol

LOL yes sir I’ll give it a go…at first glance it does look like a bit of work 😝 

On 8/10/2024 at 6:18 PM, Mavrick76 said:

LOL yes sir I’ll give it a go…at first glance it does look like a bit of work 😝 

Is the series listed?  If you want OtherEric to add it, I'm going to volunteer his services.  :kidaround:

I have an account.  I can create whatever set you'd like to upload images of, but when you create your own account - you are assigned a "mentor" to assist in guiding you on data input.  I believe there are also some wiki pages of how-to info.  I'm not at "master" status yet, but I've been able to fumble through creating some UK series books that were not there.

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2024 at 9:24 PM, Yorick said:

Is the series listed?  If you want OtherEric to add it, I'm going to volunteer his services.  :kidaround:

I have an account.  I can create whatever set you'd like to upload images of, but when you create your own account - you are assigned a "mentor" to assist in guiding you on data input.  I believe there are also some wiki pages of how-to info.  I'm not at "master" status yet, but I've been able to fumble through creating some UK series books that were not there

It is listed (Lovelorn 1 ACG) I attempted to add it earlier today after I created an account but I think I messed it all up.  I’ll probably receive an email with “WTF” in the header.  

Both books look identical  ( the Canadian Version has blank pages on the inside front and back covers).  Believe it’s published through Export Publishing Enterprises. 

As you can tell, I have limited knowledge in this area…🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Mavrick76

On 8/10/2024 at 6:39 PM, Mavrick76 said:

Believe it’s published through Export Publishing Enterprises. 

There is indeed a listing for Lovelorn by Export.  While I'm not logged in, it shows only a #7.  There is no "skeleton" for the other issues.  First, try to add the prior issue numbers to that series.  Once it's approved, you'll be able to upload an image of the cover.  Once that's approved, go ahead with indexing the individual book (that's the really time-consuming part - page counts, artist/writing/lettering/coloring credits, etc).

On 8/10/2024 at 9:45 PM, Yorick said:

There is indeed a listing for Lovelorn by Export.  While I'm not logged in, it shows only a #7.  There is no "skeleton" for the other issues.  First, try to add the prior issue numbers to that series.  Once it's approved, you'll be able to upload an image of the cover.  Once that's approved, go ahead with indexing the individual book (that's the really time-consuming part - page counts, artist/writing/lettering/coloring credits, etc).

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.218e85ed2519fcde535a6b6ebd05e0ad.jpegIMG_1029.thumb.jpeg.28beee12172c733e8b09c5171a9cc03f.jpeg

52 page count 

On 8/10/2024 at 6:50 PM, Mavrick76 said:

52 page count 

That is so cool.  Blank interior covers...

From the see-thru of the front cover, it looks to match the US #1.  When the bosses approve the add of #1-6, you'll have to index it with a blank page.

Do you see any hint of a publisher anywhere?  Sometimes I'll find bits of info hidden in the spine gutter (don't press the book's spine too hard....)

You'll also note that whomever indexed the US version (looking at you Boris, Katy, Edgar, Jim and David :baiting: :devil:) failed to enter the advertisement info (which may be another printing difference).

On 8/10/2024 at 9:56 PM, Yorick said:

That is so cool.  Blank interior covers...

From the see-thru of the front cover, it looks to match the US #1.  When the bosses approve the add of #1-6, you'll have to index it with a blank page.

Do you see any hint of a publisher anywhere?  Sometimes I'll find bits of info hidden in the spine gutter (don't press the book's spine too hard....)

Bingo - info listed - barely visible on the back cover IMG_1030.thumb.jpeg.fdd68027b2c862f139fa48570aaf80eb.jpegIMG_1031.thumb.jpeg.5bf6cf3cc7933e41e6dae0e90b073355.jpegIMG_1032.thumb.jpeg.38c314964be978b0e566ff89f00f2751.jpeg

On 8/10/2024 at 7:02 PM, Mavrick76 said:

IMG_1031.thumb.jpeg.5bf6cf3cc7933e41e6dae0e90b073355.jpeg

That whole back cover will be different from the US version.  Too bad the indexer on the US copy didn't put the adds...

Export almost annihilated their company name by squeezing it so close to the Nite-Lite coupon.  At least they put a year of publication on it.  More than I get with my L Miller books.  :cry: