• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you determine the worth of a comic prior to sending it?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Prior to sending a submission how do you determine the value so you can select the correct category to know how much to pay for the comic to be graded and slabbed?

On 8/12/2024 at 2:08 PM, chase7 said:

Prior to sending a submission how do you determine the value so you can select the correct category to know how much to pay for the comic to be graded and slabbed?

Buy a copy of Wizard from 1997 and then adjust for inflation. 

Totally kidding. For real:

1) Use the CGC grade descriptions on the website or the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade?" forum here to determine an approximate grade.

2) Look up sold (and only sold) listing's for your issue and grade on eBay.

3) Get a subscription to a service like GoCollect or GPA Comics to see what the recent sales are for your book.

Good luck!

I have also wondered this.  I am no trained expert, in fact when it comes to grading i am completely lost.  But I need to get some in for grading, i just have not, and one of the reasons is this.  I have no idea what they might grade, but looking at the sold listing on ebay is a good idea.  Thanks for that. 

On 8/14/2024 at 2:46 PM, dsnielson said:

I have also wondered this.  I am no trained expert, in fact when it comes to grading i am completely lost.  But I need to get some in for grading, i just have not, and one of the reasons is this.  I have no idea what they might grade, but looking at the sold listing on ebay is a good idea.  Thanks for that. 

Use this thread https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ to get some estimates on specific books.

There are some great websites out there with tips on grading and things to look for when assessing condition. Or, use the thread linked above to test yourself by comparing your own guesses to the grades that come back. 

Please understand if/when CGC loses, damages, or mails your book to another person the replacement cost will start at what you put for "fair market value". If you under value your book to try and grade it under a cheaper tier or you under value your book just in general they will at no point give you the benefit of the doubt.

It is easier to simply put the max value for the tier you are submitting under (or a very high estimated reasonable amount) and hash it out if the worst outcome occurs.

"Fair Market Value" is subjective and not a science, what you value is much different from what I value in the market, be safe and never under value what you are trusting another company with. If you just look up a "price" do you believe that includes the time it took to find it? what about the wrap? or color brightness? not every book graded the same looks the same. This doesn't include personal intrinsic value as a something you personally owned and entrusted to another company.