• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality pics taken with camera?

25 posts in this topic

I was looking online for a scanner for original art but everything in the $500.00 range or below seems to get less than stellar feedback,either due to less than optimal software or the scanner wasn't meant for art and I'd rather buy new if I did go that route. Since I haven't bought much in the way of OA, I can't see spending 2-5k on a scanner. I do have a decent camera and a tripod, which I plan on experimenting with but wanted to see if anyone met with good results that way. I'd like to take the pics as straight as possible so that all images are centered and standing straight up. I figure between lighting and not having the shadow of myself and the camera overhead, I'd place each piece on the wall, while being propped up to fit as closely to the wall as possible to avoid any shadows or slight bending that causes an optical illusion. If anyone happens to have a few camera pics and you don't mind talking a bit about how you prefer to set them up before taking your shots, any pics and setups would be appreciated. 

Edited by Timeless icons

If you need images of the artwork to post digitally online than I recommend getting the Epson WF 7820 For $230

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXHQ9F5/?coliid=I2W070WK79B2EG&colid=U4ZPJARBDTA6&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

If you need scans for book reproduction at 400-600dpi then you need a higher end scanner.

I haven't used it but there is the CamScanner phone app.  Also, do a search for the other scanner topics in this forum.

After my standalone scanner stopped working, I got the Epson WF-7840.  Got it on sale for $200 or so.  It's big.  It scans 11x17 and prints on 13x19.  Scans are good.  Have not yet tried printing on 13x19. 

On 8/13/2024 at 3:29 AM, Brian Peck said:

If you need images of the artwork to post digitally online than I recommend getting the Epson WF 7820 For $230

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXHQ9F5/?coliid=I2W070WK79B2EG&colid=U4ZPJARBDTA6&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

If you need scans for book reproduction at 400-600dpi then you need a higher end scanner.

Thanks for the link and suggestion. I had read that the scanner portion was poor quality in some reviews and it seems that was the case in the lower price bracket with most under 500 but since most art is black and white, I figure it can't be that bad. Might have to reconsider trying one. Thanks again. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2024 at 8:03 AM, Twanj said:

The scanner in Note on iPhones seems to do a decent job with shadows. It takes a couple tries to get something I like.

Android guy here but thanks for the suggestion. I was reading about an app that helped with comicart but unless I hoist it up against the wall, rather than top down view, I'd get my shadow while holding the camera. Tried a few with my phone but they didn't come out all that well. I also wanted something to take it without any distortion like the "fish eye" effect. I'll show the ones that I took with my phone here. Notice how my lens distorted the actual size of the paper from edge to edge/side to side. Also seemed to drown out the pencils a bit. I'm hoping the camera/tripod fares better than these. Thanks for the suggestion and also offering the results of your pics. :cheers:

skaar # 6 page 2 signed.jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

On 8/13/2024 at 9:21 AM, Will_K said:

I haven't used it but there is the CamScanner phone app.  Also, do a search for the other scanner topics in this forum.

After my standalone scanner stopped working, I got the Epson WF-7840.  Got it on sale for $200 or so.  It's big.  It scans 11x17 and prints on 13x19.  Scans are good.  Have not yet tried printing on 13x19. 

Ok cool. @Brian Peck also suggested a similar Epson (WF 7820) but since you have one and you seem to like it, maybe I'll give one of these Epsons a shot then. Do you like the software it comes with?

What I have done for getting decent pictures is set my phone on a tripod and use a wireless clicker to take the image.  Once I have things set up and adjusted to my liking I blow through everything I want to image.  I will say I use markers so I know the edge of the image and can center things easily

On 8/13/2024 at 12:27 PM, batman_fan said:

What I have done for getting decent pictures is set my phone on a tripod and use a wireless clicker to take the image.  Once I have things set up and adjusted to my liking I blow through everything I want to image.  I will say I use markers so I know the edge of the image and can center things easily

That's kind of what I was thinking too, except using my camera rather than my cell since my pics aren't great on this particular phone. Just bought one of the Epsons that were suggested a few posts above so I'll see how that works out. If it doesn't, then I'll opt to experiment with some camera work and a tripod. Thanks for the suggestion Batman_Fan. 

On 8/13/2024 at 12:15 PM, Timeless icons said:

Ok cool. @Brian Peck also suggested a similar Epson (WF 7820) but since you have one and you seem to like it, maybe I'll give one of these Epsons a shot then. Do you like the software it comes with?

The software works well enough for me.  But I didn't go crazy trying different options/configurations.  Also, it's wireless.  That comes in handy because of its size, you can put it some place out of the way and get things done.

I usually use three lights (two positionable desk lamps on each side of my file cabinet) and an overhead light with my iPhone, and it gives me decent photos. I use a small step stool to elevate myself above it so I can get a straight-on photo that I don't need to deal with a lot of parallax. The iPhone has decent tools for taking out the skew of a photo, but if I end up with it, I tend to just use Photoshop to fix it. Adequate lighting is actually the key for getting a nice photo, not necessarily your camera.

But I agree with @Brian Peck that if you're looking for reproduceable art, invest in a bed scanner.

On 8/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I usually use three lights (two positionable desk lamps on each side of my file cabinet) and an overhead light with my iPhone, and it gives me decent photos. I use a small step stool to elevate myself above it so I can get a straight-on photo that I don't need to deal with a lot of parallax. The iPhone has decent tools for taking out the skew of a photo, but if I end up with it, I tend to just use Photoshop to fix it. Adequate lighting is actually the key for getting a nice photo, not necessarily your camera.

But I agree with @Brian Peck that if you're looking for reproduceable art, invest in a bed scanner.

Just purchased one of the Epsons that was suggested above. Hopefully, that should give me what I'm looking. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. 

On 8/13/2024 at 1:05 PM, Will_K said:

The software works well enough for me.  But I didn't go crazy trying different options/configurations.  Also, it's wireless.  That comes in handy because of its size, you can put it some place out of the way and get things done.

BTW, I dig the Cardy Aquaman 11 pages. (thumbsu

On 8/13/2024 at 12:10 PM, Timeless icons said:

Android guy here but thanks for the suggestion. I was reading about an app that helped with comicart but unless I hoist it up against the wall, rather than top down view, I'd get my shadow while holding the camera. Tried a few with my phone but they didn't come out all that well. I also wanted something to take it without any distortion like the "fish eye" effect. I'll show the ones that I took with my phone here. Notice how my lens distorted the actual size of the paper from edge to edge/side to side. Also seemed to drown out the pencils a bit. I'm hoping the camera/tripod fares better than these. Thanks for the suggestion and also offering the results of your pics. :cheers:

skaar # 6 page 2 signed.jpg

I use the CamScanner app frequently.  I use the free version. You can lay the artwork down flat to take the picture without shadow if you have enough natural light in the room.  Also, the app has a filter to take out shadows.

Here is your picture using CamScanner.  I'm not sure which filter to use to make it look most like the original, but I thought this looked good.

CamScanner08-13-202421.38_01.thumb.jpg.960b1546cda68405176b110f90891590.jpg

On 8/13/2024 at 10:08 PM, Marvelcap said:

I use the CamScanner app frequently.  I use the free version. You can lay the artwork down flat to take the picture without shadow if you have enough natural light in the room.  Also, the app has a filter to take out shadows.

Here is your picture using CamScanner.  I'm not sure which filter to use to make it look most like the original, but I thought this looked good.

CamScanner08-13-202421.38_01.thumb.jpg.960b1546cda68405176b110f90891590.jpg

Thanks for giving it a shot. Maybe I'll post a before and after once I get the Epson in this weekend. Could be helpful for anyone looking to improve their pics as I am if they stumble upon this thread. 

I have been using the Microsoft Lens app on my iPhone.  It is a free download and works really well.  You do not have to worry about a tripod or anything, since the software adjusts the angle of the scan.  You also have the opportunity to crop the shot.  Great for larger format pieces.  As other's have said, you have to be aware of the lighting to minimize shadows and glare.  I recently used it on this one: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=2044860

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. All of my art is photographed, with the rare exception of me getting a good scan from the previous owner. Pictures are taken with a Canon Powershot S410 (I know horribly outdated), outside in natural light and I try to lay it down on a brown, grey or black background. I do take shots directly overhead which does lead to some warping but I fix most of that using Photoshop. Besides I don't mind my pictures being a little off, makes it easier to identify if someone is using my pics.

My Gallery -  https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=332

On 8/14/2024 at 12:14 AM, Xatari said:

I use a program called VueScan through my Epson printer.  Seems to be a bit better for me.

Vuescan is the universal remote for scanners and has been for 25 years.  Many scanner OEMs will drop support for a model after a certain point, especially when there is a major OS upgrade that requires new drivers, but Vuescan will still support that HP, Epson, Mustek, even older high-end scanners like Heidelberg.  So if you have access to a working 11x17 or 12x18 scanner and software is your issue, then Vuescan is the answer. It also has far superior user controls and settings to most off the shelf OEM scanner software.  Mac, Windows, Linux, all are supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VueScan