• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best symbolism in a WWII cover
3 3

112 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2024 at 10:49 AM, Limited66 said:

I love this book and cover. One of my grails, so I’ve studied it in a little more detail than necessary. 

Exactly the qualities that make it iconic.

An excellent cover that hits all the criteria: symbolic, because relies on an idea to make its point, not just action; iconic, because - *duh*; clean composition a 13 year old 'gets' immediately.

Love it!

On 8/22/2024 at 9:15 PM, Jayman said:

Not mine but I’ve always liked this cover.

IMG_4087.jpeg

I really like that cover.  I didn't show mine because I wasn't sure if it met the criteria...but here it is anyway...I'd love to see a high grade copy just to know how terrible mine is...hm lol

53339722517_b2f59f40f7_b.jpg

Edited by Tri-Color Brian

On 8/22/2024 at 11:18 PM, Krydel4 said:

Kind of hard to get more symbolic than this one...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImNlOTYzNTdiLTJkMjktNDE2MC1hNmJmLTU4MDA5ODhhZGY5MC5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.jpegNow that's an interesting point

Now that's an interesting point.  This is certainly iconic, but *I* see it as being more about an action scene, rather than a symbolic statement.  The is certainly a symbolic aspect to it, but I think it was more about the action.  Unlike the Green Lama cover which is all about the symbolism.

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2024 at 10:49 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

All Star 22 1945.jpg

All Winners 6 1942.jpg

Master Comics 30 1942.jpg

Master Comics 36 1942.jpg

National Comics 39 1944.jpg

Real Life 10.jpg

True Sport V3#4 H20 damage 1945.jpg

Uncle Sam 5 restored 1944.jpg

United States Marines 3.jpg

Worlds Finest 5 nbc 1942.jpg

Wow!  You're knocking it out of the park!  These are great covers.  Personally, I'm soft on the Master #36 and WF #5, but the rest of them ... (thumbsu

Interesting distinction between the Cap #1 and the National #39 - Cap #1 is iconic, but to me the action dilutes the symbolic aspect of the cover; whereas with National #39, since there is so little going on in the cover, the symbolic aspect is highlighted.  By that token, I would favor the National over the Cap.

This is great!  We're really getting the ball rolling now ... :whee:

Edited by kent allard
typo

On 8/22/2024 at 7:12 PM, Tri-Color Brian said:

Nah...I was just making a joke and forgot to put the laughing emoji on it.  :whatthe: :facepalm: lol  I pretty much get what you're looking for, but others already shared most of my covers I wanted to show...so, there's that...:cry:  But, here's a few more anyway...

26323995598_ebaaa7e3e6_b.jpg

53493862411_92238f7522_b.jpg

21581998559_0a71f484f9_b.jpg

31946073125_83c269a29d_b.jpg

21757196902_99d7b013ec_b.jpg

21742771846_de3e5ec86b_b.jpg

15925349733_c3499258a3_b.jpg

Those Targets are precious.  I need to check out the title for other gems.

On 8/23/2024 at 1:24 AM, kent allard said:

Now that's an interesting point.  This is certainly iconic, but *I* see it as being more about an action scene, rather than a symbolic statement.  The is certainly a symbolic aspect to it, but I think it was more about the action.  Unlike the Green Lama cover which is all about the symbolism.

Two Jewish-Americans rolling America's values at the time into a character, and then have said character punch the most noted, at the time and probably forever, anti-semite in the world in the face is not considered completely symbolic then I think you're definition of symbolism is much different than mine and many others. They knew exactly what they were doing when that issue was published and what they were trying to say.

On 8/22/2024 at 9:15 PM, Jayman said:

Not mine but I’ve always liked this cover.

IMG_4087.jpeg

Me too. Was one of the first “symbolic” as well as “iconic” books I thought of.

I didn’t post it because I didn’t own a copy. Thanks for posting!

On 8/23/2024 at 7:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Me too. Was one of the first “symbolic” as well as “iconic” books I thought of.

I didn’t post it because I didn’t own a copy. Thanks for posting!

The other Green Lama cover was also great.  Raboy did some great covers for Captain Marvel Jr too (eg Master #30 above)

Let's not be limited to only copies you personally own.  If you know it and it's iconic, shout it out.

On 8/23/2024 at 7:18 AM, Krydel4 said:

Kind of hard to get more symbolic than this one...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImNlOTYzNTdiLTJkMjktNDE2MC1hNmJmLTU4MDA5ODhhZGY5MC5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.jpeg

I agree.

Surprised it took so long to appear.

No arty abstractions, a powerful and straightforward statement of intent.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:15 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I agree.

Surprised it took so long to appear.

No arty abstractions, a powerful and straightforward statement of intent.

Hmmm .... Seems like I'm in the minority here as I respectfully disagree for the reasons I mentioned above.  I find the Green Lama covers to be stronger *symbolic* covers.  It is precisely the 'arty abstraction' that *I* am looking for.  If you will forgive me this: any insufficiently_thoughtful_person can draw a cover with Hitler being punched or Nazis being whooped.  I have tremendous respect for Simon/Kirby talents, and the cover is certainly iconic, but I feel the action aspect undermines the symbolism.

This is GREAT!

There is no right or wrong here.  Symbolism and iconic status is in the eye of the beholder and I'm glad to spark a discussion and hear what other people think.