• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine #1 and #2 1988
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Attached are issues 1 and 2. Have issues #1 thru 5 in this year (have dbl copies of 2-5) and all show age yellowing on pages.

In #1 is 'cleaner' but there is signs of aging in the paper and there are two pages (9/10-11/12) with little nicks at the bottom page.

In #2 three pages 11/12, 13/14 & 15/16 with tiny nicks on bottom edge.  

If these are of any value would you recommend "cleaning" or leaving as is?  Also, should I decide to slab, would you slab all 9 or just one of each issue?

Wolverine #1 FC and BC_0001.jpg

Wolverine #1 FC and BC_0002.jpg

Wolverine #1 nicks.jpg

Wolverine #1 center.jpg

Wolverine #2 FC and BC_0001.jpg

Wolverine #2 FC and BC_0002.jpg

Wolverine #2 pg 1.jpg

POSTING LIMITS
"2. Please post only one (1) book per thread and a maximum of three (3) books per person in a 24 hour period. It will make it more enjoyable for people to grade and will also encourage more people to grade your submission."

Lets pretend there is only 1 book, Wolverine #1...

Slight crunch with color break at lower left corner, slight edge wear with slight color rub/loss, multiple (4-5) small/color breaking spine ticks, small bindery tear at top, color rub on rear cover at top left area.

IMO...NM- 9.2 (NM 9.4?)

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal. A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases. Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable. Very minor foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. Paper is off-white to cream and supple. Very minor interior tears may be present.

FYI - it's not Wolverine #1 (or #2) - it's Marvel Comics Presents.  IMO, neither of these books are worth grading.  The first issue sells for around $100 in 9.8 and this copy won't grade at a 9.8.

Edited by GawkHawk

Thanks for the "suggestions" will do better in future.  I inherited over 1300 comics from my brother when he passed and none are graded or slabbed.  I can't see getting even half of them slabbed with the cost to do so and I don't know anyone near that I believe would give me an honest evaluation of each ones value.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:44 AM, Devonna said:

Thanks for the "suggestions" will do better in future.  I inherited over 1300 comics from my brother when he passed and none are graded or slabbed.  I can't see getting even half of them slabbed with the cost to do so and I don't know anyone near that I believe would give me an honest evaluation of each ones value.

Welcome to the boards.

So you inherited a lot of comics from your brother and I'm guessing you don't  know a lot about them.  I'm sorry about your brother's passing.  There's a lot for you to learn as this is a relatively complicated hobby.

In your examples above you refer to them as Wolverine #1 etc.  If you look at the indicia - text usually on the first page of this era of comics that indicates the title, date published, etc - the title of this comic is Marvel Comics Presents.  Always check the indicia for information to correctly identify a book.

Sending books to get graded is a fairly expensive proposition.  It's important that you carefully choose books that would be worth getting graded. It just doesn't make sense to spend $50 to get a book graded that'll sell for $30.  And it doesn't make sense to spend $50 to get a book graded that'll sell for $75 if you could sell it ungraded for $50.  Or in a mathematic formula (sales price graded - grading cost > sales price ungraded.

That means that you need to understand grading standards and learn how to value books.  This board is a great place to fine tune your grading.  Just keep starting grading threads and you'll learn a lot.  For valuing books from this era ebay is a good starting place.  So for your Marvel Comics Presents #1

This ebay search - note this is sold items, limited to Copper Age, sorted highest to lowest, and with a -weapon search string to remove most of the copies of #72 which has the first appearance of Weapon X - shows the book sells for around $100 in 9.8 and a high of about $60 in 9.6.  and other copies in 9.6 selling for $30. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Marvel+comics+presents+"%231"+-weapon&_sacat=259104&rt=nc&Era=Copper%20Age%20%281984%2D1991%29&_odkw=Marvel+comics+presents+"%231"&_osacat=259104&_dcat=259104&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1 

ebay is also very useful to identify books of value in a run of comics.  So this search searches for Marvel Comics Presents, comics category, Copper age, sold items, sorted highest to lowest.  You can quickly identify the issues in a run worth getting graded

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Marvel+comics+presents+"%231"+-weapon&_sacat=259104&rt=nc&Era=Copper%20Age%20%281984%2D1991%29&_odkw=Marvel+comics+presents+"%231"&_osacat=259104&_dcat=259104&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

And looking at the two examples you've posted neither looks high grade.  Just at a glance I see enough spine tics to drop them out of 9.8/9.6 and thus not worth getting graded.

It's important to understand that the print runs of comics from this era were large and the survival rate in high grade was high because many went into collections and were protected with bags and boards.  These books may be 30 to 40 years old but they aren't rare and they need to be extraordinary in some way to be worth much.  Generally high grade and featuring a first appearance of a popular character or an iconic cover to really demand attention and value.

But don't let me discourage you.  The books above are worth something and you'll likely have more value.  Look for New Mutants 98 and 87 - first Deadpool and Cable - and Wolverine Mini #1 - iconic cover that almost every collector from this era remembers

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=wolverine+%231+1982&_sacat=259104&rt=nc&Era=Copper%20Age%20%281984%2D1991%29&_odkw="Marvel+comics+presents"&_osacat=259104&_dcat=259104&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Appreciate the information and YES I have a lot to learn.  I have utilized ebay to see what many of these are selling for but I have a long way to go in learning grading requirements.  We are about to move and Husband doesn't want to haul the boxes around with us so was hoping to find a few that are in good enough condition to warrant taking time to get the best price for them.  

You should make an accurate list of them all, a lot of us can breeze over that list in like 5 minutes and tell you which ones you should ask us to estimate slab-worthiness on. 

Edited by Q.N.S.

I spent a couple of weeks cataloging the 1300+ comics I inherited (thank you - now I know I may have listed a few of them incorrectly on my catalog!)  

Would this forum be the best place to post my catalog and then I could pull and scan pictures?