• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these board discussions have any effect on hammer prices?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2024 at 4:35 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 8/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, VintageComics said:

When someone hypes a new cover or something nobody has ever seen before, it brings awareness and people start to chase it. Lovers #49 is an example of that. Bakers were another. 

I hold @Ricksneatstuff personally responsible for my diversion to Bakerland

I was lucky enough to jump on Bakers before they became high profile. My ex Louise fell in love with the covers while at shows (she had a great eye for quality), so I started buying them up, and I was shocked at how gorgeous the art was but how cheap the books were. 

The most expensive Baker romance books, with the best covers could be had for a few $100 up until about the mid 2000-teens...even in grade.

I'm pretty sure I may have been part of the Baker trend as I was posting them in here and I may have even had a thread dedicated to our collection at one point, and that's really how it happens. A few people chase the same thing and the price goes up. Sadly, I sold them all around 2014 or 2015, on the way up as I needed the money (the comic market had taken a bit of a dip at that time) and figured I'd buy them back later. 

Did not expect the market to take off the way it did. I don't know that I'll ever own a run of Bakers again but it was fun. 

On 8/24/2024 at 3:02 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Anything I post in Comics General or Watercooler just disappears,  so forgive my impertinence in posting here.

There are often discussions about particular books, like the Marvel 1 discussion comparing the October copy to the November copy. 

I do not know if we Boardies represent 5% or 50% of the bidders out there. I’d like to know the thoughts of you folks. 

are our discussions no more than a tempest in a teacup, or are there real world effects on gavel prices?

When I read this my thoughts focused on big expensive books. Maybe it was the Marvel 1 example that made me focus on that. Like if there is a thread started or a discussion within a thread about a particular book coming/currently in auction (or even not in auction) will that affect the outcome. I thought no not really because how many of us are in the market for 100k+ books. At this point we either already have those or never will (I'm in the latter half). For example we discussed that Rocket Copy AC 1 a lot but I doubt we affected the hammer. 

But when someone posts a link or screenshot of a more obtainable for most book currently up for grabs I thought sure that can often times gives it a boost. Get it more bids, and affect future sale prices. Personally I avoid posting about a book until after the auction has ended. I think most of us do that.

After reading the responses I see it's a question that has a much broader aspect of answers than that. Quite a lot to consider. 

And I would say we probably represent about 20% of current bidders on GA books, much less on e bay. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, Jayman said:

All I can say is that on a number of occasions there is a topic or a question that I and other boardies are discussing. When I try to search for more research on said topic, 9 out of 10 times the search result is a link back to the original post on these boards!

Me too , many times. Probably how I found the board years back. Looking something up, "Oh check this place out". 

On 8/26/2024 at 7:33 AM, vaultkeeper said:

These boards have expanded my collecting focus a lot. I can't tell you how many books where I've been the under-bidder. :sorry:So yeah, I've effected hammer prices.

Indeed although most of my bidding has never “rocked the market”…:roflmao:

Expanded? Most certainly. If for no other reason, than to grab books I might not think about otherwise to flip to others for a little extra scratch to buy books I want for myself. :devil:

On 9/1/2024 at 8:02 PM, miraclemet said:

On 9/1/2024 at 8:02 PM, miraclemet said:

I blame myself for the spike in Okajima prices (see our Okajima thread). Sorry guys. My bad. 

That thread definitely made an impact on Okajima camp books. It made sense to create that thread if you had already acquired as many of them as you intended to acquire, otherwise you may have cost yourself many thousands of dollars. (I prefer the non-camp Okajimas myself.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/2/2024 at 10:57 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That thread definitely made an impact on Okajima camp books. It made sense to create that thread if you had already acquired as many of them as you intended to acquire, otherwise you may have cost yourself many thousands of dollars. (I prefer the non-camp Okajimas myself.)

I think at the time of the thread I already had 2, got a 3rd after the price spike (lucked into an unlabeled okajima in a CLink auction) got my 4th raw here on the boards, and then paid market for one on ebay this past year when it got listed with what I thought was a fair BIN price.

But I've had the same thought (why didn't I buy more BEFORE starting to talk about them?)

On 8/25/2024 at 1:35 PM, tth2 said:

I think these Boards are very influential when it comes to opening people's eyes to new genres, which can then very definitely drive up prices in previously undervalued books. 

PCH and GGA are two prime examples of genres where I think the Boards have had a huge impact in driving prices up. 

I think I did myself no favours at all in posting Australian GA books here. Prices have gone up about 400% in the past few years. :(

This particular discussion unquestionably led to a massive increase in realized hammer price.

The OA in question was originally going to auction as unpublished, and board sleuths @Unca Ben determined that it was not only published, but used for the fondly remembered 6 foot poster.  

On 9/2/2024 at 6:19 PM, AJD said:

I think I did myself no favours at all in posting Australian GA books here. Prices have gone up about 400% in the past few years. :(

It probably didn’t help any. I know your posts have caused me to purchase a few.

I have always made it a policy to keep my trap shut on stuff I am looking for. But, once I get it, the gloves can come off.

Problem is, unlike the old days, most of what I am looking for has now been “discovered” anyway.