• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kelly Jones Batman Covers…still underrated and undervalued?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I would say yes to the undervalued as he had the misfortune of having his issues during the printmageddon of the early/mid 90’s. And as far as underrated I would still say yes, outside a few key issues many of his better covers have a very low census. Amazing talent and unique art style that should be held in higher regard IMO. In the cheese of the 90s he went another direction and brought pieces of Joe Kubert and Mike Mignola and smashed them together creating his own version of Batman. 

Where do you stand? 

Certainly very distinctive covers, Wrightson-influenced, with quite a dark, edgy, Gothic quality to them which suited the books very well.

One of the best and most memorable Batman artists. Moench’s stories were good as well, especially for the time period.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Well I have no special love for the covers but I definitely enjoyed the post knightfall batman, a Batman like we never seen before and we ll never see again, a beast hide in the shadow and ready to strike, the atmosphere was really cool, dark and gothic, with an exaggerated art highlighted by vibrant colors. My profile picture is from a book of this run, #539, one of the first comic book I read and made me fan of an artistic team.

Here few pics of my favourites pages

20240810_091249.thumb.jpg.12467478ed8a91c5611e7b6e75010e98.jpg20240810_091410.thumb.jpg.859e78d0399128f19e0108b219c0d6d0.jpg20240810_091457.thumb.jpg.1d146842c2abe9c2aaba0f831f4ee8fd.jpg

Edited by Coverdeath

On 8/28/2024 at 12:27 AM, Blastaar said:

I would say yes to the undervalued as he had the misfortune of having his issues during the printmageddon of the early/mid 90’s. And as far as underrated I would still say yes, outside a few key issues many of his better covers have a very low census. Amazing talent and unique art style that should be held in higher regard IMO. In the cheese of the 90s he went another direction and brought pieces of Joe Kubert and Mike Mignola and smashed them together creating his own version of Batman. 

Where do you stand? 

I don’t see any Kubert influence in his work, but there’s definitely a tip of the hat to Wrightson and some McFarlane (especially the over-exaggerated flowing cape)

On 8/28/2024 at 8:48 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t see any Kubert influence in his work, but there’s definitely a tip of the hat to Wrightson and some McFarlane (especially the over-exaggerated flowing cape)

Anytime I see folds and ripples on clothes my mind always goes to Joe. 

2955.jpg.602d786f443b9d7d32f2d7a88f87434f.jpg

On 8/28/2024 at 9:10 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Yuk. Over-valued, IMHO. Horrible artist. Blah.

I think of John Byrne, George Perez, Alex Ross, Dave Stevens, Mark Schultz, Kevin Maguire, Alan Davis...and it further cements what a hack this guy is.

giphy (6).gif