• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay, i'm getting tired of bagging & boarding these books. A little advice?
3 3

43 posts in this topic

I buy cheap bags & boards every 2 years for my ASM and X-Men runs...around 450 books, and I think im ready to spend the money on some quality supplies.

Anyone have an idea what this could cost? ...along with some advice on which supplies to buy?

I just want to bag & board them for the last time, in my lifetime anyway.

On 8/30/2024 at 8:40 AM, Funnybooks said:

Man, looking at that website gives me anxiety :ohnoez:  I have no clue what to buy.

I buy my bags/boards at the mall.

If you were me...which specific bags and boards would you buy from there?

If this helps with sizing:

ASM #193 - 441

X-Men # 129 - 300

Id REALLY appreciate the advice!

On 8/30/2024 at 9:30 AM, ThothAmon said:

Probably not what you have in mind but very low maintenance. Seriously though if you NEVER want to change the bags and boards I’d put the books in Mylar with the boards separating them. 

image.jpg

Id like to take the day off from work and read that entire box.

On 8/30/2024 at 9:36 AM, lostboys said:

Man, looking at that website gives me anxiety :ohnoez:  I have no clue what to buy.

ASM #193 - 441

X-Men # 129 - 300

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-mylar-bag-2-mil

On 8/30/2024 at 9:36 AM, lostboys said:

ASM #193 - 441

X-Men # 129 - 300

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_mylites2.htm

On 8/30/2024 at 5:22 AM, lostboys said:

I buy cheap bags & boards every 2 years for my ASM and X-Men runs...around 450 books, and I think im ready to spend the money on some quality supplies.

Anyone have an idea what this could cost? ...along with some advice on which supplies to buy?

I just want to bag & board them for the last time, in my lifetime anyway.

I switched all my books to Mylar to avoid having to re-bag every 10-20 years let alone every two.  Mylar's more expensive upfront, but it'll last the rest of your life (and then some).  I'd rather buy and bag once, than have to do it ever 10 (or in your case TWO) years.  Like, why not spend $0.50 per bag/board just once, instead of spending $0.25 per bag/board every two years.  Financially, it just doesn't make any sense.

On 8/30/2024 at 10:13 AM, 0r0d said:

Why are you changing them every 2 years?  

They start out flat and smooth and develop a weird kind of bubbling/rippling over time.

Not sure how else to describe it...they go from looking great to looking like chit over time.

And im a guy who loves looking at his books!

mylites are excellent bags and boards...this is the brand I use

depending on how you store your books and the environment, these products will last many, many years without the need to change frequently

On 8/30/2024 at 12:53 PM, lostboys said:

They start out flat and smooth and develop a weird kind of bubbling/rippling over time.

Not sure how else to describe it...they go from looking great to looking like chit over time.

humid environment?

are they stored in a basement?

On 8/30/2024 at 1:01 PM, Funnybooks said:

humid environment?

are they stored in a basement?

NEVER ! ! !

In my bedroom and I keep it at around 70 degrees in the summer...a bit colder in the winter.

I live in Rhode Island so the winters are cold.

The cold doesnt bother me so I keep my heat pretty low.

On 8/30/2024 at 9:53 AM, lostboys said:

I know what you mean, but honestly I'd expect that for books that have been sitting in those bags for at least 10 years.  In any case, if they're looking like that after a couple of years... then I guess you can go with mylar bags.  I have a lot of my books in mylar, but there are of course downsides.  They are expensive, especially if you're bagging hundreds/thousands of books.  They will also take up more space in your boxes than regular bags.  But they do look nice especially if you're displaying them and not just keeping them in boxes.  But, really, if you have the comics in boxes and in a nice dry area... a regular bag will last you 10 years easy.  Before I re-bagged mine recently, I had some that had been in regular bags for nearly 40 years.  The bags had the ripples you're describing, but otherwise fine.  The backing boards had yellow images of whatever was on the back cover, but I'm guessing this is because they were cheap boards that were not acid-free.  I would not worry too much with a regular bad and acid-free boards, even if I'm storing the books for decades.  More important, at least IMO, is the environment where you're keeping them.