• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

257 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2024 at 11:23 PM, Professor K said:

It's Golden and Atomic. Both words should be capitilized in a title. Both are adjectives to describe the age so golden and atomic are correct. Gold age would also be correct but no one says that. Atom age is always wrong. 

So when people ask "did you bring any Gold" when referring to comics, it's more like slang. 

And when people say "it's an Atom Age" comic, it's also like slang. 

Both are technically wrong?

Oy vey, did we ever open up a can of worms! lol

On 9/5/2024 at 7:17 PM, piper said:

Just noticed that the description of the thread is bothering me from a formatting perspective:

A forum for discussing golden & Atomic age comic books

I admit I have OCD, but doesn't the inconsistent use of capitalization bother anyone else?

Back to the original question, Atomic is just a subset of GA and didn't need to be broken out in my opinion.

Oh my god I saw the same thing and I admit to was really disturbed by it. Tought to be alone...

On 9/6/2024 at 5:23 AM, Professor K said:

It's Golden and Atomic. Both words should be capitilized in a title. Both are adjectives to describe the age so golden and atomic are correct. Gold age would also be correct but no one says that. Atom age is always wrong. 

100% Agree.

I don't know where they heard about "Gold Age"...

i just never saw it wrote this way before :whatev:

On 9/5/2024 at 10:32 PM, VintageComics said:

So when people ask "did you bring any Gold" when referring to comics, it's more like slang. 

You hang around strange people. lol.  jk.

Golden is the adjective form used to describe something.  For example "It was the golden age of radio".  No one (that I know of) says "It was the gold age of radio".  A golden age usually refers to the apex of of some period.  Of course, in comics, we threw in a Platinum, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Modern, and probably next we'll try some plywood, MDF, rubber, etc.

Atomic is the adjective form of "atom", so to describe an age, you'd use "atomic".  "Atomic Age" usually refers to the age around the time of the first nuclear bomb test or nuclear bomb drops.  "Atom Age" sounds like it could go back to the 1800s and John Dalton or back to the Ancient Greeks because it sounds like "the age of atoms".  Besides, "Atom Age" sounds just as weird as "Gold Age". :D

image.jpeg.4c8b714b0d44114833ce1985b87d143a.jpeg

Edited by Telegan

On 9/5/2024 at 11:32 PM, VintageComics said:

It's fine, no cans , no worms. I just like figuring out the correct way to say things and why they are said a certain way, and what better place to discuss that than on a public comic book forum . 

I wouldn't go as far as calling it slang as much as an abbreviated way to say those. Easier than "did you bring any golden age or atomic age comics?'. When it comes to names of things it's more about the customary way they are wriiten/spoken than the grammatically correct way. 

Atomic Age is easy because it's not referiing to atoms it's referring to the development of the atomic bomb. A time period with a specific starting point with a specific name.  Golden age is trickier because the word gold is an element and a color. Usually you use the word gold to descibe something made of actual gold and golden to describe something that has the appearance of either gold or the color gold, but sometimes including actual gold as well.  Time periods have neither of those so the term Golden Age of anything is just the common way to describe or to call the early days of something and/or a period of time in the past when things were considered better and purer than they are now. Correct grammer doesn't always matter. It's a nostaligic abstract idea really that I'm pretty sure was thought up by Greeks a few thousand years ago. They were good at that stuff. Thinking. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 9/6/2024 at 1:16 AM, Telegan said:

You hang around strange people.

Present company included. :wink:

"Atom Age" sounds like it could go back to the 1800s and John Dalton or back to the Ancient Greeks because it sounds like "the age of atoms".  Besides, "Atom Age" sounds just as weird as "Gold Age".

Agreed that Gold Age sounds strange, but "Atom Age" is the more common phrase for comics of that era. 

I think because saying Golden and Atomic Age Comics is longer and sounds strange, I just happen to like the shorter Gold and Atom Age Comics.

And frankly, "comics from the Age of Atoms" sounds pretty darn cool if you ask me. :cloud9:

On 9/6/2024 at 1:48 AM, Professor K said:

It's fine, no cans , no worms. I just like figuring out the correct way to say things and why they are said a certain way, and what better place to discuss that than on a public comic book forum . 

Ditto!

On 9/6/2024 at 1:48 AM, Professor K said:

Atomic Age is easy because it's not referiing to atoms it's referring to the development of the atomic bomb. A time period with a specific starting point with a specific name.  Golden age is trickier because the word gold is an element and a color. Usually you use the word gold to descibe something made of actual gold and golden to describe something that has the appearance of either gold or the color gold, but sometimes including actual gold ( eg gold earing, golden earing- same thing). Time periods have neither of those so the term Golden Age of anything is just the common way to describe or to call the early days of something and/or a period of time in the past when things were considered better and purer than they are now. Correct grammer doesn't always matter. It's a nostaligic abstract idea really that I'm pretty sure was thought up by Greeks. They were good at that stuff. Thinking.

Good way of explaining it. 

The English language is a difficult language to understand sometimes, as your extensive explanation of the word 'gold' shows. Many older languages don't have these problems (English is actually my 2nd language).

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/6/2024 at 1:56 AM, VintageComics said:

Good way of explaining it. 

The English language is a difficult language to understand sometimes, as your extensive explanation of the word 'gold' shows. Many older languages don't have these problems (English is actually my 2nd language).

Oh I had no idea by the way you write. Little tidbit for all about ol' Profe K- I taught English for many years in Colombia. Tough language to learn proficiently I know. Huge respect to those who can do it or come close. If I weren't a native speaker I don't think I could do it. 

On 9/5/2024 at 11:08 PM, Professor K said:

Oh I had no idea by the way you write. Little tidbit for all about ol' Profe K- I taught English for many years in Colombia. Tough language to learn proficiently I know. Huge respect to those who can do it or come close. If I weren't a native speaker I don't think I could do it. 

Columbia the university or the nation?

On 9/6/2024 at 2:08 AM, Professor K said:

Oh I had no idea by the way you write.

I was born in North America but my parents are Serbian and that was the only language I spoke until I hit school, so my mind thinks like a European's while my mouth speaks English. lol

On 9/6/2024 at 2:08 AM, Professor K said:

I taught English for many years in Colombia. Tough language to learn proficiently I know. Huge respect to those who can do it or come close. If I weren't a native speaker I don't think I could do it.

People who only speak English really don't realize how difficult it is compared to other languages. 

You hang around strange people. lol.  jk.

Golden is the adjective form used to describe something.  For example "It was the golden age of radio".  No one (that I know of) says "It was the gold age of radio".  A golden age usually refers to the apex of of some period.  Of course, in comics, we threw in a Platinum, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Modern, and probably next we'll try some plywood, MDF, rubber, etc.

Atomic is the adjective form of "atom", so to describe an age, you'd use "atomic".  "Atomic Age" usually refers to the age around the time of the first nuclear bomb test or nuclear bomb drops.  "Atom Age" sounds like it could go back to the 1800s and John Dalton or back to the Ancient Greeks because it sounds like "the age of atoms".  Besides, "Atom Age" sounds just as weird as "Gold Age". :D

Wow we wrote almost the same thing. :cheers:

On 9/6/2024 at 2:13 AM, kent allard said:

Columbia the university or the nation?

In Colombia not at Columbia. 

. now what I would argue- should it be Atom Age or Atomic age-  I feel the later is more grammatically correct.

In terms of capitalization of a section of a website: the proper way is: "Golden & atomic age comic books. It's not the title of a book. The other forums are capitalized like a title, so if the desire is to be consistent: It should be Golden & Atomic Age Comic Books.  Otherwise you need to update all the others.

Anywhere it's not appearing after the change(s) is purely a reflection of browser caching either server-side, but more likely client-side meaning your session cookie.  Open in incognito mode, and it will appear correctly. 

image.thumb.png.b55b4bb82d045c43522ea1feeb4f502e.png

I'm mildly shocked that there isn't a Platinum age forum. Bob Beerbohm has passed. It's safe now I suppose, but if there was one, I'd post a pic of Bob regardless because I miss the cantankerous coot. The world's a less interesting place. :angel:

On 9/6/2024 at 2:13 AM, VintageComics said:

I was born in North America but my parents are Serbian and that was the only language I spoke until I hit school, so my mind thinks like a European's while my mouth speaks English. lol

People who only speak English really don't realize how difficult it is compared to other languages. 

I always wondered how people learning English deal with all of the idioms.  I don't know if other languages are as flush with them, but we use them... a lot.  Just in this thread we have seen "devil in the details', "on the money", "carries the day", "fit neatly into a box", "tipped the scales", "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (not sure if this fully qualifies as an idiom?), and "open a can of worms".  For my money it must be as tough as nails for a new speaker to learn the ropes... but many do succeed with flying colors.  Anyway... just shooting the breeze and getting off-topic...

On 9/6/2024 at 8:12 AM, Bookery said:

I always wondered how people learning English deal with all of the idioms.  I don't know if other languages are as flush with them, but we use them... a lot.  Just in this thread we have seen "devil in the details', "on the money", "carries the day", "fit neatly into a box", "tipped the scales", "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (not sure if this fully qualifies as an idiom?), and "open a can of worms".  For my money it must be as tough as nails for a new speaker to learn the ropes... but many do succeed with flying colors.  Anyway... just shooting the breeze and getting off-topic...

image.jpeg.c1757fa41e904c54a004c17ee04637ae.jpeg

This forum is a pretty spectacular repository of knowledge. It is a place where knowledge is shared, mysteries are discussed and solved, and collectors exhibit the curiosity that led to the creation of this hobby.

So, yeah, the terminology and whys and wherefore matter. Hopefully we are honoring and teaching some history here.

I am good with going with the historic breakdown of Platinum, Gold, Silver, etc. developed by a consensus of fandom and used by OPG, eBay, andmost of us. Don’t see a need to recognize an Atomic Age sub-category but not the more often used PCH or WWII sub~categories. 

Change it back! Change it back! Change it back!

On 9/6/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bookery said:

I see what you did there. :baiting:

What's really interesting is how social media is changing how young people speak the language. 

The shortening of words and phrases (ur instead of you're or your for example) and the disappearance of idioms.

I once used the phrase "in your neck of the woods" and they didn't realize what it meant and thought it was a threat of some sort. doh!

I try to correct my kids all the time. 

One of my daughters always uses the word "gunna" and my follow up is always "going to" in our family group chats. 

On 9/6/2024 at 8:31 AM, VintageComics said:

What's really interesting is how social media is changing how young people speak the language. 

The shortening of words and phrases (ur instead of you're or your for example) and the disappearance of idioms.

I once used the phrase "in your neck of the woods" and they didn't realize what it meant and thought it was a threat of some sort. doh!

One of my daughters always uses the word "gunna" and my follow up is always "going to" in our family group chats. 

ion no bout dat

On 9/6/2024 at 10:31 AM, VintageComics said:

All of those beautiful descriptions from Bradbury, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Kesey, Chandler... all the exquisite metaphors and similes... all will be gone.  Not only will upcoming authors no longer write like that, but it wouldn't be understood by their readers if they did.

“Remember, the firemen are rarely necessary. The public itself stopped reading of its own accord.” - RB