• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #112 Should I get this graded or did I just waste some money?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I found this FF #112 online and thought that it looked really good. I am relatively new to the "art" of collecting comics and their specifics. But, I had noticed some, what I now know as, distributor ink/markings on it but I believed it to be minor. I was initially going to send it in to be graded. After receiving the book I am not so sure. There is one small color breaking spine tick and I now notice a small color break on Hulk's knee. The distributor ink is much more than I thought but it does not really bleed into the pages of the book. I also just noticed a pink discoloration on the inside cover that matches up with the Hulk's pants. I am not sure what this is from. I have included pictures. Any help with this situation is much appreciated. I bought this comic for over $200, did I just waste money?

20240831_101358.jpg

20240831_101854.jpg

20240831_101414.jpg

20240831_101433.jpg

20240831_101505.jpg

20240831_101641.jpg

20240831_101705.jpg

20240831_101729.jpg

20240831_101828.jpg

I’m not really that interested in commenting on anyone’s investment choices and whether they did poorly or well. In fact, I don’t think that’s consistent with what happens in this forum generally speaking.

But I am more than happy to tell you what I think the grade on this book is and then you can do with that what you will.

I think it’s a lovely book. And I think it’s a 7.0 as it stands now.  The ink doesn’t bother me so much, and I don’t think it will affect the grade in this condition. There are a number of other small imperfections such as the one you point out at Hulk’s knee that land it at 7.0 for me.

Posted (edited)
On 8/31/2024 at 10:55 AM, flying_bison said:

I’m not really that interested in commenting on anyone’s investment choices and whether they did poorly or well. In fact, I don’t think that’s consistent with what happens in this forum generally speaking.

But I am more than happy to tell you what I think the grade on this book is and then you can do with that what you will.

I think it’s a lovely book. And I think it’s a 7.0 as it stands now.  The ink doesn’t bother me so much, and I don’t think it will affect the grade in this condition. There are a number of other small imperfections such as the one you point out at Hulk’s knee that land it at 7.0 for me.

Totally understandable about the investment part. It was just a little frustrating to see the extent of the ink. It doesn't bother me that much either if keeping as a raw copy but my initial thought was to grade it. I have seen people say that sometimes the ink alone can downgrade it 1.5-2 points.

Edited by Adulwulf

On 8/31/2024 at 1:56 PM, Adulwulf said:

Totally understandable about the investment part. It was just a little frustrating to see the extent of the ink. It doesn't bother me that much either if keeping as a raw copy but my initial thought was to grade it. I have seen people say that sometimes the ink alone can downgrade it 1.5-2 points.

It will not graded either.   Pink spots and distribution ink (overspray ink) will not affect the grade.

Question about how CGC handles things like distributor ink are easily answered with the Guide book. Unobtrusive amounts of distribution ink do not do anything short of keeping a grade out of the highest grades. Since this book has some other minor defects, no impact with the distribution ink.

7.0/7.5 Perhaps the higher b/c the black covers are hard to keep nice. I'd say $200 is market value or close enough to it for this condition.

On 8/31/2024 at 12:58 PM, scburdet said:

Question about how CGC handles things like distributor ink are easily answered with the Guide book. Unobtrusive amounts of distribution ink do not do anything short of keeping a grade out of the highest grades. Since this book has some other minor defects, no impact with the distribution ink.

7.0/7.5 Perhaps the higher b/c the black covers are hard to keep nice. I'd say $200 is market value or close enough to it for this condition.

Thank you. What Guide Book are you referring to and where can I find it? Also, would you consider the "highest grades" 9.0 and above or include the 8's?

Whether you get this gorgeous copy graded or not is purely your choice, but if the estimated grade makes any difference to your decision, (and only you know what grade you have decided upon as the tipping point for 'grade it vs leave raw',) I'd say the 7.0 camp is where I'm pitching my tent. Leaving aside how much you paid, you got a really nice copy! Congrats!!!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

When I first saw the lower left corner of the back cover my first thought was “yuck, that’s unfortunate”. Then I realized that all of your pictures have a shadow on the lower left. As there’s only one back cover picture it leaves me with some uncertainty, but I’m a bit more optimistic than the current consensus. I think it could get an 8.0.