• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 cover?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I’m interested in opinions about whether this is a genuine front cover of a Superman 1.

I bought it several years ago for about $100 with no guarantee that it was genuine. It measures 10 inches by 7 inches (25.2 centimetres by 17.6 centimetres). The left edge is jagged, like it has been removed from a bound volume. There is some writing under the logo that includes a date (11/12/53). The worst thing about it is that it is completely enclosed in a laminated clear plastic. If it was genuine, would CGC slab it?

Thanks.

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

Edited by yrag9591

On 9/5/2024 at 6:38 AM, yrag9591 said:

I’m interested in opinions about whether this is a genuine front cover of a Superman 1.

I bought it several years ago for about $100 with no guarantee that it was genuine. It measures 10 inches by 7 inches (25.2 centimetres by 17.6 centimetres). The left edge is jagged, like it has been removed from a bound volume. There is some writing under the logo that includes a date (11/12/53). The worst thing about it is that is completely enclosed in a laminated clear plastic. If it was genuine, would CGC slab it?

Thanks.

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

Looks real next to this FFE look at the whites in the top of the P and E are off on the reprint next to the original.

FAMOUS 1st EDITION TREASURY EDITION. REPRINTING SUPERMAN # 1 FROM 1939. SCARCE | eBay

It's obviously not an original cover. The paper looks like thicker cardstock paper, paper stock that covers were printed on does not crease like that. The printing is too good and looks nothing like inks and printing of the time. Looks like some reprint someone beat up and bent to look old.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:53 AM, yrag9591 said:

You might be right, but the paper is not thicker cardstock paper.

From my 40 plus years of collection it looks real to me. I would have to have it in my hands to confirm pictures are always hard to tell. 

On 9/6/2024 at 7:09 AM, woowoo said:

From my 40 plus years of collection it looks real to me. I would have to have it in my hands to confirm pictures are always hard to tell. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. Problem is it has been laminated. It is ruined forever. There is pretty minimal value at this point. Could maybe be cropped tight in a matt and framed. I doubt CGC would grade it. If they would, the only upside would be if they graded it as an original cover.

On 9/6/2024 at 12:01 AM, catman76 said:

It's obviously not an original cover. The paper looks like thicker cardstock paper, paper stock that covers were printed on does not crease like that. The printing is too good and looks nothing like inks and printing of the time. Looks like some reprint someone beat up and bent to look old.

Are you sure?

Old GA books do tend to crease like that. I'm leaning towards possibly real but the only way to tell is to physically inspect it in hand.