• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new avengers and bendis

27 posts in this topic

I just read all my back logs of new avengers, starting from issue 2. (yes i know... what can i say? i've being busy) and HOLY [embarrassing lack of self control] i am i glad i had kept on buying them without reading them. i knew bendis would never let me down...

but seriously i have to say, it's prob the best lot of comics i've read, i literaly could not put them down, i start just saying 2 issues each day, then it went to 5, then it went to 10, and i had to read all the way issue 13 in the end! now i want to read issue 14... the -script is simply awesome, hell, it's better then most films i've seen in the past god knows how long.

i mean when i was reading House of M back logs (from 1-8) i was wondering when this book was gonna end... (lets jsut say it wasn't one of bendis' best works) but with new avengers, i was so into the sotry i forgot that it was 3am in the morning...

well done bendis, keep it up, all we need now is some of that magic that made u famous back on YOUR books; ultimate spider-man smile.gif (what brought me to the comics book world)

I just read all my back logs of new avengers, starting from issue 2. (yes i know... what can i say? i've being busy) and HOLY [embarrassing lack of self control] i am i glad i had kept on buying them without reading them. i knew bendis would never let me down...

but seriously i have to say, it's prob the best lot of comics i've read, i literaly could not put them down, i start just saying 2 issues each day, then it went to 5, then it went to 10, and i had to read all the way issue 13 in the end! now i want to read issue 14... the -script is simply awesome, hell, it's better then most films i've seen in the past god knows how long.

i mean when i was reading House of M back logs (from 1-8) i was wondering when this book was gonna end... (lets jsut say it wasn't one of bendis' best works) but with new avengers, i was so into the sotry i forgot that it was 3am in the morning...

well done bendis, keep it up, all we need now is some of that magic that made u famous back on YOUR books; ultimate spider-man smile.gif (what brought me to the comics book world)

I know what you mean! Brian Michael Bendis is a master of plotting, pacing, and characterization. The fact that he was able to create a character like Spider-Man should be enough to earn him a Pulitzer Prize, I should think! What an imagination he has!

I just get so enthralled when I open the cover of Ultimate Spider-Man to find a robust two-page spread dedicated to the same two faces repeated over and over again, well... I get chills just thinking about it! The lack of dialogue is particularly gripping! "What could be going through the minds of these dishplate-eyed monstrosities," I find myself asking as I am forced not to read, but to come up with my OWN story so that I may "fill-in-the-blanks"! Very clever, Brian Michael Bendis! I tip my hat to you!

Truly, his creativity is boundless and I am helplessly compelled to behold the glory as I watch him invent all these new, fanciful characters and build this "Ultimate" universe around them!

"Spider-Man", indeed! Whatever will he come up with next???

I know what you mean! Brian Michael Bendis is a master of plotting, pacing, and characterization. The fact that he was able to create a character like Spider-Man should be enough to earn him a Pulitzer Prize, I should think! What an imagination he has!

I just get so enthralled when I open the cover of Ultimate Spider-Man to find a robust two-page spread dedicated to the same two faces repeated over and over again, well... I get chills just thinking about it! The lack of dialogue is particularly gripping! "What could be going through the minds of these dishplate-eyed monstrosities," I find myself asking as I am forced not to read, but to come up with my OWN story so that I may "fill-in-the-blanks"! Very clever, Brian Michael Bendis! I tip my hat to you!

Truly, his creativity is boundless and I am helplessly enthralled as I watch him invent all these new, fanciful characters and build this "Ultimate" universe around them!

"Spider-Man", indeed! Whatever will he come up with next???

yeahok.gif

yeahok.gif

Yeah, but you have to admit this line was pretty good: "What could be going through the minds of these dishplate-eyed monstrosities," I find myself asking as I am forced not to read, but to come up with my OWN story so that I may "fill-in-the-blanks"!

New Avengers is very good. I actually have zero interest in the Sentry (I mean, absolutely zero) but love the rest of it.

Marc

I mean no disrespect, but I don't see New Avengers as that great. For such powerhouses, they've shown little power (not that it should be all crazy battle scenes either). I guess I'm too used to Ultimates where there is good dialogue and great battle scenes too.

USM has hit a low for me. The last Hammerhead series was WAY too full of Marvel-Universe-to-Ultimate-Universe characters. The Hobgoblin series was really bad (IMHO). I really hope it returns to its former glory, but I doubt it. I just hope that Bendis is riding the series out until he breaks the former Marvel record of longest artist-writer on a book.

gossip.gifCheck out THE ULTIMATES....... BIGGER......BADDER.........BETTER!!!!!!

Agreed. New Avengers is average at best. USM is at an all time low. And Bendis is basically a guy who does NOT understand characterization on a team book. While he's had success writing solo books and doing them well... both House of M and New Avengers are basically chop jobs.

I mean no disrespect, but I don't see New Avengers as that great. For such powerhouses, they've shown little power (not that it should be all crazy battle scenes either). I guess I'm too used to Ultimates where there is good dialogue and great battle scenes too.

USM has hit a low for me. The last Hammerhead series was WAY too full of Marvel-Universe-to-Ultimate-Universe characters. The Hobgoblin series was really bad (IMHO). I really hope it returns to its former glory, but I doubt it. I just hope that Bendis is riding the series out until he breaks the former Marvel record of longest artist-writer on a book.

Agreed. New Avengers is average at best. USM is at an all time low. And Bendis is basically a guy who does NOT understand characterization on a team book. While he's had success writing solo books and doing them well... both House of M and New Avengers are basically chop jobs.

Ditto.

no way, the way he writes spider-man, nick cage, and spider-women is insane comepared the way they've been writen before! the are so much more down to earth, which is the way the avengers should be, rather then JLA, god-like heros basically... one of the most improtant things seprating JLA from the avengers.

fair enough he has hit a low on USM, but new avengers is only getting better IMO.

i dont understand what you mean when u say he doesn not understand characterixation on a team-book? surely in the new avengers that's pretty much all his done so far; building on eahc character, while the book is still relatively new.

Hmmm. I'm not that familiar with Bendis' work outside of the first 35-40 issues of USM, which I really like. Is that representative of his output - better, worse???

I did read HOM, which was only fair at best, but I attributed that less to Bendis than to my disliking those kinds of company-wide crossover epics. Most people I know love him, so I'm a bit surprised by the hatred expressed here. Maybe I've just missed the "bad" stuff.

Currently, that's representative of his better work. Most of Bendis's "good" work isn't that good to me...

But really, it's the poor quality of his Avengers work that really gets to me.

I wonder what the percentage is of people who say that New Avengers and Avengers: Disassembled sucks whom are simply angry that the original Avengers series is no more. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I personally was never an Avengers fan. Frankly, they bored me. But Avengers: Disassembled and New Avengers has peaked my interest in Marvel staples such as Cap and Iron Man.

I think this is a very point. New Avengers appeals to a different group of fans. But -- I have to say I still feel like the real problem is that the pacing and feel to the book is just not that well done. See, USM appealed to the older fans because it was well done -- New Avengers doesn't work cause I don't recognize the characters... and I'm not that old, I'm 30.

Overall, I like Bendis' work. I just feel like he's too overloaded and the quality has suffered because of it. I loved Powers Vol 1. I really liked USM through the Carnage series (though it was dragging for a bit even before). He's done a lot of good and definitely got some readership on a title that saw very little before him. His Daredevil series has only gotten better with each issue (1 of the best 2 books at Marvel). I'm just saying that he could do New Avengers even better and USM has definitely lagged compared to early issues. Bendis' skill seems better suited to focusing on the character themselves rather than intricate plot stories on a large magnitude. Unfortunately, the last stuff has moved toward the latter. Daredevil is an exception and that's because he focuses the story VERY well around Daredevil.

Pat

I think this is a very point. New Avengers appeals to a different group of fans. But -- I have to say I still feel like the real problem is that the pacing and feel to the book is just not that well done. See, USM appealed to the older fans because it was well done -- New Avengers doesn't work cause I don't recognize the characters... and I'm not that old, I'm 30.

I'm 27. I recognize the characters just fine, and I've been out of comics for 10 of the past 12 years. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are right though, Bendis does have a pacing issue. I think things will pick up.