• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #97 5.0 Need help to understand this grade
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is a recent grading that as a newbie to the nuances of CGC grading has me puzzled, this front cover has a few minor tics and 2 corners blunted, back cover upper left has 2 decent creases where if there was color surely would have been broken. But thats it...im thinking crack and re-submit but truly not sure what to do? I was thinking in the 6.5-7.5 range or higher when I compare this to other similar books in 5.0 that frankly look pretty rough. I dunno? Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.53 PM.png

Edited by Billbic

The notes say also "large crease full right of back cover". Not defending the grade, but that alone could push it down at or near 7. Add a few other smaller creases, some spine tics, corner weather, etc. and the grade might seem plausible.

Hard to say without the raw book in hand. It certainly presents well, so it has that going for it. Maybe a different presser could work the creases out, or at least make them less noticeable. 

Ok...I can see that now, The full length crease is pretty light and does look like very faint color breaks along the line in a few spots upon close inspection. That one I think worth showing my local guy before cracking to see what he thinks. I really didn't think that one would drop it to the 7.0 range  being so light and back cover but thats why I asked the question...thanks!!!

My way of looking at creases, and everyone will have different opinions, is that a quarter inch to half inch crease can put you in the 8.5-9.2 range, depending on severity, location, etc. A full length crease is a much more serious detractor,  even being on the back. 

On 9/10/2024 at 7:49 PM, Billbic said:

Hi all, this is a recent grading that as a newbie to the nuances of CGC grading has me puzzled, this front cover has a few minor tics and 2 corners blunted, back cover upper left has 2 decent creases where if there was color surely would have been broken. But thats it...im thinking crack and re-submit but truly not sure what to do? I was thinking in the 6.5-7.5 range or higher when I compare this to other similar books in 5.0 that frankly look pretty rough. I dunno? Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.53.53 PM.png

Hi Bill.

It's a nice looking book and looks better than a 5.0 from the pictures you posted.  Your last picture shows a few sizable creases - top left back cover - and those will hurt the grade.  I can't see the full light crease you've mentioned but that would be a serious defect if it runs the length of the cover.

To be honest I don't always agree with CGC's grade.  I've had a few books come back much higher than I thought possible.  My philosophy is sometimes I just don't understand a grade and all I can do is try to learn from it and I accept that I paid for a professional opinion of a grade and that's what I got, a professional opinion of a grade.

And I think it's important to realize CGC is never gonna be perfect.  That no one person can grade perfectly consistent and no group of graders will ever grade the same

Just goes to prove how difficult grading can appear to be since there are any number of reasons why two completely different looking books can be the same grade. You could get a 5.0 for a book with all round light wear which will look classic 5.0: Better than VG but shy of Fine.

Then you could get a book which would otherwise be VF or close to it, but for the limited number of significant faults that drag it down to 5.0

All part of the challenge that is accurate grading! 

Yeah, I get it's a challenge for sure!...I know it's a personal preference thing but to ME I would rather have this 5.0 with these issues on the back any day over lets say a 6.0 book with multiple smaller issues on the cover, corners, etc...This long crease shows up much more prominently on the hi res scan, at viewing distance a few feet away there is only one area on the crease to grab your eye, that said, from what im gathering there is no real mechanism for grading a crease thats lighter vs heavy and more distracting? Ultimately I realize it is what it is and all variations can't be accounted for but hearing the thoughts of people who have been at this a long time does help, so I appreciate the input.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, Billbic said:

Yeah, I get it's a challenge for sure!...I know it's a personal preference thing but to ME I would rather have this 5.0 with these issues on the back any day over lets say a 6.0 book with multiple smaller issues on the cover, corners, etc...This long crease shows up much more prominently on the hi res scan, at viewing distance a few feet away there is only one area on the crease to grab your eye, that said, from what im gathering there is no real mechanism for grading a crease thats lighter vs heavy and more distracting? Ultimately I realize it is what it is and all variations can't be accounted for but hearing the thoughts of people who have been at this a long time does help, so I appreciate the input.

And you make a great point.  Some books just present better than others in the same grade range and typically sell for more because they appear prettier.  I love books that have a great looking front cover and a interior or back cover defect over a book with many eye jarring front cover defects.  And that goes for books with wonderful colour and print registration.

On 9/11/2024 at 3:17 AM, zzutak said:

The long color-breaking crease referenced in CGC's Grader Notes is immediately apparent from a quick glance at CGC's high-res back cover scan.  No magnifying glass needed.  This is a legit CGC 5.0.

x3.thumb.jpg.4ad726e5be90d7c6fdf06b2f4303297d.jpg

Good catch! Was impossible to see from the photos posted by the OP. Yeah I mean with that crease, which a pressing would never fix of course, definitely a 5.0 on top of the other defects. A nice presenting 5.0 though for sure, based off that front cover.

On 9/17/2024 at 12:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Good catch! Was impossible to see from the photos posted by the OP. Yeah I mean with that crease, which a pressing would never fix of course, definitely a 5.0 on top of the other defects. A nice presenting 5.0 though for sure, based off that front cover.

And yes, now I see the crease.  It isn't easy to see but it's there and it does break colour.  And a crease that runs the length of the boo is equal to many smaller colour breaking creases.