• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
7 7

324 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2024 at 10:45 PM, Ken Aldred said:

To CGC it’s just a signed comic for which they’re providiIdIdng a grading service. Clinical as that. Even if it’s something as ridiculous as a Batman 1 reprint signed by him.

I'd very much like to hear their opinion, rather than others second guessing and speaking for them.

I'm sure they would welcome a chance to declare their standpoint. It couldn't do any harm could it? Communication with the community is good after all.

If they don't want to that's fine.

NO COMMENT speaks volumes as well.

On 9/14/2024 at 12:32 AM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

I wonder if Stan's family will sue based on the title alone??

I 'd certainly pay to see that.

Surprised CGC allowed this thread to be honest. They are usually more cautious with legalities.

For context I once created a thread called 'Alex Baldwin kills...'

I was asked to change the name of the thread....which I did....even though he did kill someone.

Their decision was correct, so I find a thread which accuses Stan Lee of lying via way of a book self published by someone with an axe to grind, who is a member here, to be extremely surprising and uncautious given the financial muscle of the Lee family.

Nuff said.  

Proving Stan Lee Lied? :roflmao:

They wouldn't even call that 'Burden' of Proof. More like 'Where do I start?'

And it would NOT be a beneficial court case/circus for Lee's people/Marvel to be in, as... SO MUCH IS PROVABLE.

And once you start knocking down those dominos... it makes it easy to show... just who DIDN'T create those characters.

Even in a stalemate, or a drawn out court case... NONE of it benefits THEM... 

ALL of it benefits the truth. 

On 9/13/2024 at 7:41 PM, VintageComics said:

I think CGC should make a statement on whether they think OJ was guilty. The community needs to know.

CGC wouldn't touch this with my 10 foot pole. Disney has enough lawyers to sue God and will do it for far less. We do have our free speech, but there iis always the constraints of libel. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The cover to the book is certainly attractive enough. 

On 9/13/2024 at 7:32 PM, Prince Namor said:

SO MUCH IS PROVABLE. HEARSAY (fixed that)

I wouldn't wish that on you, as I find myself in agreement with you, more often than not... actually, just this one sticking point. I might be interested in scoring an autographed copy. Should that ever be an option. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/13/2024 at 8:00 PM, VintageComics said:

I was being facetious. lol

CGC doesn't owe anyone an opinion on anything except for the grade of your comic book. 

I knew you were joshing. You know, I remember a Baltimore Con, 2011?, and I ended up at several tables shortly after you left. I saw the small piles you had placed on hold at each booth, and thought, "DAYUM, This cat got GAME." GOD BLESS ... 

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/13/2024 at 2:44 AM, mrc said:

"Yesterday, Bleeding Cool reported on a new book by Chaz Gower called Stan Lee Lied. Full title, Stan Lee Lied: Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in The Origins of Marvel Comics.

As we reported, this is a case for the prosecution; there is no attempt to be even-handed, but we have been given an extract to reproduce to give you a flavour of the book. Bleeding Cool welcomes more perspectives from others on this issue"

Based on the Bleeding Cool review, the book sounds like a rant. 

On 9/13/2024 at 8:10 PM, VintageComics said:

Coming from an OG, that's quite a compliment. (worship)

I asked to have second shot if you passed, but not only did you have game, you were responsible :tonofbricks: You were one step ahead of me at the show, I never laid eyes on you, only humbled by the aftermath lol GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/13/2024 at 8:13 PM, jimjum12 said:

I asked to have second shot if you passed, but not only did you have game, you were responsible :tonofbricks: You were one step ahead of me at the show, II never layed eyes on you, only humbled by the aftermath lol

I'm behind someone all the time. You win some, you lose some. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/14/2024 at 7:03 AM, jimjum12 said:

I wouldn't wish that on you, as I find myself in agreement with you, more often than not... actually, just this one sticking point. I might be interested in scoring an autographed copy. Should that ever be an option. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I appreciate that. And just think how valuable it could be once I secure a publisher. You'd have an original signed copy!

And on the topic of provable... there are things that are more provable than others with Lee. From my book:

“Anyway, they had a contest at the Herald Tribune, an essay contest, which I won three weeks running, and whoever the editor was at the time called me and asked me to stop entering the contest. And he asked me what I intended to be. I was just out of high school, you know, and I said, well, I don’t know, an advertising man or an actor or a lawyer or something, and he said why don’t you be a writer?”

- Stan Lee, Comics Interview by Jay Maeder, (1974)

In Abraham Josephine Riesman’s 2021 biography of Lee, True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee, he fact checks Lee by going into the paper’s archives to find that Lee DID indeed compete in the contest and on May 7, 1938… and won seventh place. (Oh, and netted an honorable mention - as did ninety other kids on two subsequent weeks.)

I can’t think of a better scenario for the first fib in the book, to show exactly who Stan Lee is.

On 9/13/2024 at 8:26 PM, Prince Namor said:

You'd have an original signed copy!

Of course I would. I'll even be man enough to be honest, should you change my mind. Just remember, some folks don't want to discover that "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", so to speak. I still remember when you refused the Pujol bounty. My old lady was besties with him forever, still talks on the phone to this day. Thanks, again. :foryou: I have friends who love the color Orange, but just because I don't, it doesn't jeopardize the friendship. Unfortunately, we can no longer pick the brains of Kirby or Lee, and we might well find the "truth" to be somewhere in the middle. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

One thing I know, none of us are right enough to outsmart Eternity, so why waste the valuable time with TOO much squabbling. (shrug)

On 9/13/2024 at 5:56 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

I'd very much like to hear their opinion, rather than others second guessing and speaking for them.

I'm sure they would welcome a chance to declare their standpoint. It couldn't do any harm could it? Communication with the community is good after all.

If they don't want to that's fine.

NO COMMENT speaks volumes as well.

Please ask them, and post their reply here. 

On 9/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

where does the Company CGC stand on this issue?

CGC doesn't have much of a soul left, I would imagine they could care less. Unless, of course, Blackrock stumbles upon the ability to re-animate the dead for autographing purposes.