• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

587 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, sfcityduck said:

Re-read your thread. They were pointed out to you. One inaccuracy I found particularly amusing was the unfounded opinion you repeated that Stan Lee stole Kirby's "original" idea of the Living Eraser. That opinion originated not from you but someone at the Kirby Museum. Problem is, the idea wasn't "original" to Kirby and if Stan stole its much more likely he got it from the incredibly popular Captain Marvel superhero publication's cover not the cover of an obscure and failing Black Magic cover. Just an example we discussed somewhere in the depths of your, what?, five or six very lengthy threads on why Stan Lee lied here on this site?

Lee stole the idea. Kirby had repeated the idea and Lee claimed credit for 'writing' it.

On 9/20/2024 at 7:58 PM, Prince Namor said:

Yeah. What a comic book career Simon had without Kirby. LOL

Joe Simon was an institution who was editor of both Timely and Fox when Jack Kirby was a no one. Joe Simon could draw in diverse styles from Lou Fine to Jack Kirby. The man had career before Kirby did, and Jack recognized that. That's why Jack relied on Joe Simon to make the S&K career which was much much better than most comic artists but certainly not all. [Cue attacks on Joe Simon.]

On 9/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

It is hard for me to take seriously a statement such as "every artist

... in the Silver Age. Get it right.

Who didn't?

On 9/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Hard for me to take seriously such an overbroad assertion. Ditko, for example, has sided with Lee against Kirby on the claim Kirby created Spider-Man.

Another misintrepation of facts. Ditko DID create Spider-man. He didn't 'side with Lee'. He pointed out that the idea Kirby BROUGHT TO LEE (i.e. that Lee DIDN'T write), was taken by HIM (Ditko) and reworked into what it became - and then Lee signed his name as the writer, taking credit and pay for the process. 

Which is what Kirby said.

They changed the shape of his shield. 

Because CA was a rip-off of the Shield and his Shield (and the never changed Sentinels of Liberty badges) made that clear. Having said that, such rip-offs were common during the GA and most every artist plagiarized others or themselves.

On 9/21/2024 at 10:03 AM, sfcityduck said:

Joe Simon was an institution who was editor of both Timely and Fox when Jack Kirby was a no one. Joe Simon could draw in diverse styles from Lou Fine to Jack Kirby. The man had career before Kirby did, and Jack recognized that. That's why Jack relied on Joe Simon to make the S&K career which was much much better than most comic artists but certainly not all. [Cue attacks on Joe Simon.]

LOL. He had a career before Kirby. That's funny. He was good tracer of other people's work. That's for sure.

And as usual, TRUTH = attacks 

You're consistant. 

On 9/21/2024 at 10:05 AM, sfcityduck said:

Because CA was a rip-off of the Shield and his Shield (and the never changed Sentinels of Liberty badges) made that clear. Having said that, such rip-offs were common during the GA and most every artist plagiarized others or themselves.

They changed the shield. 

Name the artists in the Golden Age with the most multiple million copy selling comics.

I'll give you hint: Kirby and Simon. At FOUR different companies and in TWO different genre's. 

Source? I'm guess that's likely false. Siegel & Shuster may easily have had four different million selling comics just at DC.

Several Disney and Fawcett artists might also have had multiple million selling comics. (Are you counting Captain Marvel for S&K? Cause they weren't the reason).

It's a topic that needs research before I'd accept that claim. A number of surprising comics have sold a million copies.

On 9/20/2024 at 7:44 PM, Prince Namor said:

It wasn't a non-response because of what you said. I just don't consider you someone I generally want to have a conversation with so I blew it off.

For you to insinuate anything else is just... head shaking.

I don't blame you. If I had a super power it would be creating cognitive dissonance in those who cannot confront evidence contrary to their beliefs.

On 9/20/2024 at 8:05 PM, Prince Namor said:

LOL. He had a career before Kirby. That's funny. He was good tracer of other people's work. That's for sure.

You're consistant. 

That is an attack. I don't think its the truth. You are lucky you don't post on the GA forum where folks are fairly familiar with Joe Simon's work.

On 9/21/2024 at 10:09 AM, sfcityduck said:

Source? I'm guess that's likely false. Siegel & Shuster may easily have had four different million selling comics just at DC.

Several Disney and Fawcett artists might also have had multiple million selling comics. (Are you counting Captain Marvel for S&K? Cause they weren't the reason).

It's a topic that needs research before I'd accept that claim. A number of surprising comics have sold a million copies.

LOL

On 9/21/2024 at 10:16 AM, sfcityduck said:

I don't blame you. If I had a super power it would be creating cognitive dissonance in those who cannot confront evidence contrary to their beliefs.

You have no evidence. The word of Lee and Simon? LOL

You can see how important my book IS, True Believers!

Not a single post even addressing the topic or what I've written about it!

Instead... a steady stream of 'Lee was great' and veiled insults toward the book and author and value - ANYTHING to get you to NOT buy it. 

I need to start a new advertising campaign: The Book that Stan Lee fans DON'T want you to Read!!!

On 9/20/2024 at 9:05 PM, Prince Namor said:

You're consistant. 

Good tracer?  You're seriously dismissing Joe Simon as  a good tracer?

On 9/21/2024 at 10:39 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Lol. I'm a Stan Lee fan, to an extent. I just don't like that he lied.

And you know what? There's nothing wrong in seeing it that way. 

You can read the book and see the truth and still be a fan of Stan Lee. None of us perfect. 

On 9/20/2024 at 11:41 PM, Prince Namor said:

And you know what? There's nothing wrong in seeing it that way. 

You can read the book and see the truth and still be a fan of Stan Lee. None of us perfect. 

I still listen to vintage Bill Cosby comedy records and what he did was far far worse.