• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,604 posts in this topic

Danny Fingeroth is hardly reliable, considering that he has a pathological bias for Stan Lee, somewhat understandable, due to childhood loyalty. Whether he worked at Marvel for 18 years or 38 years, he "wasn't there" to speak on what Lee did before he was, using the logic of Lee's defenders.

https://fourcolorsinners.com/2023/07/27/look-stans-relationship-to-the-truth-is-very-interesting-evaluating-the-exhausting-stan-lee-a-marvelous-life/

"I think that in the ‘60s or even the ‘70s, the idea that two people had come up with something was thought by reporters, and some editors, to be too complicated for a general interest story."

LOL! In the 60's and 70's?

Uh...Lennon and McCartney? Jagger and Richards? Simon and Garfunkel? Sonny and Cher? Ike and Tina Turner?

The idea that the media created Lee's persona as the creator of everything is ridiculous and I can show you just how untrue it is. 

From my book - Lee in 1963 claiming he created almost every character that Marvel published in his 20 years at the company:

From the Fanzine, Masquerade #5 (May-June 1963), Stan Lee sends a letter of thanks for the praise of Marvel in the previous issue. He also claims to have created almost every character that Marvel has published over the 20 years he's been there.

What???

This may be one of the first instances of Lee overstating his creative abilities as a do-all, be-all creator…

That what's called PROOF.

Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at 8.11.53 PM.png

On 9/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, Prince Namor said:

The idea that the media created Lee's persona as the creator of everything is ridiculous and I can show you just how untrue it is. 

I took the weak reasoning slight differently, where he may be suggesting the irrational and many times, inaccurate ways, the media portrays a quote or remark made. This still happens to this day, and even back then, they may have have run with whatever he told them because they didn't know better, the already slow news day aspects of covering the comic beat, or if the journalist was worth their salt, had heard differing views/opinions from others, and still ran with the words uttered for the controversy. Because, controversy sells!

On 9/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, Prince Namor said:

Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at 8.11.53 PM.png

I hadn't seen this before I began reading the book, I appreciate you including it in there. Definitely one of the many receipts the book contains to help connect the dots. 

Edited by comicwiz

On 9/29/2024 at 11:14 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

There is a difference between researching and "doing your homework" to reach an unbiased conclusion, and doing one's homework to support a conclusion you made, and want others to make, before you researched a single fact or quote, then excluding or deligitamizing any facts or statements that conflict with your preset conclusion 

I can see why folks might want to disagree whether Chaz did not did not do what's described in this quote. But I can't see why anyone would laugh at or be confused by the sentiment. It's correct. Which is why Chaz's posts on this thread, and Bleeding Cool's affirmation his book is a "one-sided prosecution" have deterred me from wanting to read it. I'll wait for the upcoming book he mentioned because it sounds like it might have more academic grounding given that the author elected to go visit Stan Lee's archives (which Chaz apparently did not do). 

On 9/30/2024 at 1:17 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

So a guy who says simply that while he acknowledges it's extreme to say Lee did everything, maybe it's also extreme to say he did nothing --

--That guy has a "pathological bias"?

And not the guy who seems to spend every waking moment digging for dirt against Lee while not just ignoring but refusing to acknowledge the existence of any evidence to the contrary?

Is that you, Ahab?

Peter Paul?

No one's claiming Lee did nothing.

On 9/30/2024 at 1:26 AM, sfcityduck said:

I can see why folks might want to disagree whether Chaz did not did not do what's described in this quote. But I can't see why anyone would laugh at or be confused by the sentiment. It's correct. Which is why Chaz's posts on this thread, and Bleeding Cool's affirmation his book is a "one-sided prosecution" have deterred me from wanting to read it. I'll wait for the upcoming book he mentioned because it sounds like it might have more academic grounding given that the author elected to go visit Stan Lee's archives (which Chaz apparently did not do). 

Rich Johnston hadn't read it. If he had, he'd have seen that, again, I quote Lee EXTENSIVELY. His VIEWPOINT in what happened is the basis for the BOOK. 

DUH.

Stan Lee LIED. To show Stan Lee LIED, I have to show what he SAID.

All of you experts who haven't read the freakin' book sure think you know something. 

On 9/29/2024 at 11:26 AM, sfcityduck said:

I will never have the energy or the desire to engage Chaz again, because I know what it will entail.  People in the comics industry, including most if not all the artists and co-workers he quotes, have made conflicting statements about Stan's work, just as Stan did himself.  So, it's not a problem for a person that obsessed to come up with quote after quote that looks bad.  It's possible to do that same, arguing the opposite. But that would require being as obsessively devoted to the issue as Chaz very apparently is, and dedicating as much of your life defending Lee as he spends trying to condemn him.