• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,604 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2024 at 12:59 PM, CGC Mike said:

You are all adults so please make sure you act like one.  

Not all, unfortunately, Mike.

Most, agreed, but there seems to be a minority whose level of invective has endangered the value of this thread.

It would be a great pity if any of them were prepared to sabotage this discussion and deliberately have it shut down simply because they cannot tolerate opposition to their point of view, whether mistaken or not.

If that point is ever reached, I hope that some way forward could be found which would not penalise the innocent along with the guilty.

On 10/11/2024 at 6:58 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

It would be a great pity if any of them were prepared to sabotage this discussion and deliberately have it shut down simply because they cannot tolerate opposition to their point of view, whether mistaken or not.

On 10/11/2024 at 6:58 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

If that point is ever reached, I hope that some way forward could be found which would not penalise the innocent along with the guilty.

UPDATE: for reasons uknown to me, before the thread got locked yesterday, one of the posts where I shared a link was using a malformed or incorrect hyperlink.

I wasn't able to edit it until now. The correct link in that post has been edited for anyone interested in reading more into that matter. 

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/11/2024 at 8:59 AM, KingOfRulers said:

In 2015, we sent a letter to Steve Ditko offering him $100,000 to appear at that year's Tampa Bay Comic Con.

He sent us this nice rejection letter:

398053015_10114621486914862_3493559083319678165_n.thumb.jpg.92802c3f0ab90061df9ed072a07a0d0b.jpg

What do you think Ditko's point was? 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/10/2024 at 6:15 AM, comicwiz said:

I tried responding to this, but for some reason my post vaporized when I hit submit reply. I won't retype that out again, but I would highly recommend doing some reading on the Martin Garbus led lawsuit, lots of pertinent details worth devling into. The Wiki news link I provided is just a starting point, lots more where that came from, if you choose to go down that rabbit hole. And one final point, anyone that tries to diminish Kirby, by bringing-up work after he left Marvel, should do themselves a favour and research how abborhent that entire sham that was SLM, but particularly the 7th Portal. There's no way anyone can come out of that crash course EVER thinking Lee was capable of doing things on his own, or without the talents of Kirby or Ditko.

It's worth noting that Martin Garbus v. Stan Lee Media was dismissed by the trial court at the motion to dismiss stage, meaning the mere allegations of the Complaint was fatally deficient such that the case was deemed not worthy of  being allowed to proceed to a motion for summary judgment (which is based on evidence generated during discovery), let alone trial. 

An earlier securities class action settled for a pittance (compared to securities actions generally) with no admissions of fault by Stan Lee or the other defendants, and payment was made by an insurer.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/11/2024 at 12:37 PM, D'oh! said:

He's gone by Chuck for years on this board, so I'm not sure why you put his name in quotes. I'd guess it's for the same reason Joe VH does it 🤔

He's gone by "Prince Namor" on these boards and he goes by "Chaz" on his book cover. 

Also, Mike is sensitive to "doxing" (an attitude I agree with) and I'm being respectful of his strict feelings on that. I want it clear that others on this thread are calling "Prince Namor"/"Chaz" by the name "Chuck," I'm not trying to "dox" him. I don't even know if "Gower" is his real name. 

On 10/11/2024 at 7:48 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've been working through the book and it does exactly what it says on the cover. It's not a biography, so I'm not sure why many are criticising it for being - for want of a better phrase - 'one sided'. As I see it, the starting point is Stan's book. That doesn't include any self criticism. It is a one sided attempt to present history as Stan would want the reader to see it. Chuck's book simply rebuts the content of Stan's book, citing sources. The reader can get the balanced view by reading both books and then making their minds up. That's what I'm doing. I knew Stan wasn't whiter than white, but I wasn't quite prepared for learning the extent to which that was the case.

Chuck, I'm secretly jealous of anyone who gets a comic related book into print. It remains one of my own goals, and when I finally get around to it, it will be based on facts and only facts. Well done for getting your book out there, and giving readers the opportunity to see Stan in a different, likely far more realistic light.  

Thank you!

On 10/7/2024 at 6:39 AM, comicwiz said:

Agreed.

Declaring a "mistatement" for Kirby describing it as "Victor Fox" is ridiculous. He owned multiple publications, including one not mentioned which is Bruns, and there was another Fox Publications in Colorado that existed at the time. Stating the name of the owner, whose family name was used as a convention of naming companies he owned, was the most efficient and concise way, particularly in the case of another company using the same name, there was no decietful or dishonest reason for him choosing to describe it the way he did.

It could also be argued that he was addressing him respectfully as the titan of publishers in his time - there's a reason he was described as "The King of Comics."

Nope. Kirby just couldn't remember the name of the publisher. The interview was conducted at a time (1989) that Kirby's memory was sufficiently untrustworthy that Roz was present for the stated reason of aiding Kirby's recollection. The reason why I made this point is that Kirby's supporters have a tendency to bend over backward with the most convoluted explanations to attempt to make everything Kirby says "the truth" even when its clear he got a basic fact wrong. As comicwiz does in his post I address here. Sure its not material to anything ... other than establishing that Kirby's memory was not perfect despite what Kirby supporters want to contend.

I'd agree with comicwiz that Kirby was not being deceitful or dishonest in his failure of recollection that he worked for Fox Publications -- that was my point. The author of "Stan Lied" takes the position that all misstatements by Stan Lee are "lies." That's an extreme view, not one taken by me with regard to Jack Kirby.

Finally, anything can be argued. But anyone who wants to argue that Jack Kirby was "addressing him [Victor Fox] respectfully as the titan of publishers in his time - there's a reason he was described as 'The King of Comics'" is making a big mistake. Victor Fox is the one person who described himself as the "King of Comics." His artists/writers made fun of Victor Fox for calling himself by that moniker. 

On 10/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, sfcityduck said:

Haha Iconic 1s.

If you think something in my post is funny or confusing, feel free to point out what it was and I'd be happy to respond to whatever your concern or point was.

Sure thing!  Will only say this and then stop because I don’t want to be the reason this gets locked.

I’ve been following this discussion… you’ve been nothing but combative and now swing back in acting holier than thou telling everyone how to react and debate.

You did the same to my reaction, which indeed IS hilarious. :roflmao: