• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,604 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2024 at 5:15 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/12/2024 at 4:10 PM, VintageComics said:

Or, I can see Kirby suggesting Thor, and Stan somehow realizing that using a swinging hammer for flight as the linchpin cementing their choice.

That's not how Kirby presented ideas, at any point in his 50+ years in the business. He did it in artwork, drawings, short 5 page stories, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence because it can be taken more than one way. Can you clarify?

Are you saying they never had conversations about characters or stories before creating published art?

And that Kirby just presented art to Stan to create ideas?

On 10/13/2024 at 7:22 AM, VintageComics said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence because it can be taken more than one way. Can you clarify?

Are you saying they never had conversations about characters or stories before creating published art?

Believe whatever you want.

On 10/12/2024 at 5:24 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/12/2024 at 5:22 PM, VintageComics said:

Believe whatever you want.

I'm asking you what you mean to further the discussion. 

On 10/12/2024 at 8:18 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/12/2024 at 7:29 PM, VintageComics said:

I wonder how many issues they had created in advance for each title, or before an issue hit the newsstands?

Month to month

They were typically 3 months ahead.... except for Neal. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friiend of jesus)(thumbsu

DITKO QUIT2f.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/12/2024 at 8:22 PM, Prince Namor said:

Oh yeah... the book (pamphlet) where he claims Martin Goodman created Captain America. Thanks for bringing that up. Lee was already stealing credits as far back as the 50's. I knew this, but thanks for showing an example of it.

Thank you for ignoring the comments about Radio advertisement. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

"Believe what you want to believe", hits here too. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/12/2024 at 5:23 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/12/2024 at 5:17 PM, Larryw7 said:

Stan wasn’t on the radio discussing Marvel as a mythology in 1961-63. C’mon!

I know, right?

The excuses are eye rolling.

So, does the argument rest on the use of the word mythology as being applied to Marvel in it's earliest stages?
-------------------------------------------
mythology /mĭ-thŏl′ə-jē/

noun

1. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.
  2. A body of myths associated with an event, individual, or institution.
  3. The field of scholarship dealing with the systematic collection and study of myths.
  4. The science which treats of myths; a treatise on myths.
  5. A body of myths; esp., the collective myths which describe the gods of a heathen people.
    "the mythology of the Greeks"
  6. The collection of myths of a people, concerning the origin of the people, history, deities, ancestors and heroes.
  7. A similar body of myths concerning an event, person or institution.
  8. Pervasive elements of a fictional universe that resemble a mythological universe.

On 10/12/2024 at 8:32 PM, Prince Namor said:

They worked month to month. The SCHEDULE was three months ahead so they could put the book out on time. 

That's what I just said. And actually, if we wish to be pedantic, they worked page to page. By the way, those were Ditko's words, provided by comicwiz. I had never read that interview and I applaud him for producing it in it's entirety. GOD BLESS ...

-jmbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/12/2024 at 5:28 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/12/2024 at 5:26 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm asking you what you mean to further the discussion. 

And I'm choosing not to.

Is this where I use your  "You got nothing. You LOST!" line? :baiting:

On 10/12/2024 at 5:17 PM, Prince Namor said:

They STILL use the golf game story as FACT, even though it was denied by both Donenfeld and Liebowitz.

And Jack went to his grave claiming he did Jimmy Olson for DC because it was their worst selling title and he wanted to show them how much he could inflate the sales. Not true.

The sad thing is that people are storytellers and sometimes they begin to believe their stories and at others they are so mad they don't give a dang.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby acknowledged each other's role as co-creators of the Marvel Universe in the 1960s.

The cranky old man "get off of my lawn" rhetoric where they were each claiming sole credit didn't really begin in earnest until after Kirby left Marvel. Frankly, I think they were both a bit embittered. I can speculate as to why, but I don't think we'll ever really know. I'm not sure it matters. But the change in rhetoric by the two of them about the other is a sad thing to see.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/12/2024 at 2:43 PM, Prince Namor said:

In my book, you'll find out who REALLY (most likely) influenced Kirby's look for Thor.

Jack Kirby did Thor TWICE before the version we now know. Lee never did. And Kirby never said he created Thor from out of thin air. He did say (from my book):

“I got a kick out of doing the Thor legend, which I researched.
I kind of did my version of it. They thought that Thor should have red hair and a beard, and that’s not my Thor. So I just went my own way.” 

- Jack Kirby, August 1–3, 1970: San Diego’s Golden State Comic Con (San Diego, California)

But here's the thing. Jack Kirby didn't "research" Thor. He just read juvenile level Norse mythology books. The kind a lot of kids in his day, and even into the days of my childhood, would read. They were adventure books. And for the Thor comic, Jack's ideas were just a pastiche of adventure book concepts. Here's Jack clarifying what his "research" was in the 1989 interview by Groth:

KIRBY: Yes. I loved Thor because I loved legends. I’ve always loved legends. Stan Lee was the type of guy who would never know about Balder and who would never know about the rest of the characters. I had to build up that legend of Thor in the comics.

GROTH: The whole Asgardian...

KIRBY: Yes. The whole Asgardian company, see? I built up Loki. I simply read Loki was the classic villain and, of course, all the rest of them. I even threw in the Three Musketeers. I drew them from Shakespearean figures. I combined Shakespearean figures with the Three Musketeers and came up with these three friends who supplemented Thor and his company, and this is the way I kept these strips going by creative little steps like that.

[End Quote]

He also stated in the Groth interview:

GROTH: Who came up with the name “Fantastic Four”?

KIRBY: I did. All right? I came up with all those names. I came up with Thor because I’ve always been a history buff. I know all about Thor and Balder and Mjolnir, the hammer. Nobody ever bothered with that stuff except me. I loved it in high school and I loved it in my pre-high school days. It was the thing that kept my mind off the general poverty in the area. When I went to school that’s what kept me in school — it wasn’t mathematics and it wasn’t geography; it was history.

[End Quote]

As you can see, Jack's research was just reading adventure stories when he was a kid ... just like, although he tries to spin himself as special, a lot of kids. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/13/2024 at 6:36 AM, Zonker said:

But for Stan's story to work, the radio host would have had to perceive Marvel as currently publishing a "twentieth-century mythology" (his words, not Stan's).  That radio host would have had no way to know what was in the planning stages at Marvel, just what had already been published at the time that pre-JIM #83 conversation took place.

Exactly.

If work began on Journey Into Mystery #83 in March of 1962, Marvel had just put out Hulk #1. The previous month, Fantastic Four #4 had come out. That was it. 

FF#5 and Hulk #2 had been completed or started and FF#6 would be what was part of the work load for that month.

On 10/13/2024 at 3:17 AM, Zonker said:

There were 2 things that defied belief: The first is not on that page, but a couple of pages back the story goes that Lee was being interviewed on the radio and the host remarked that Marvel was telling a new mythology for the 20th century, and that gave Stan Lee the idea to adapt some pre-existing mythology into Marvel Comics.  It is difficult for me to believe that anyone was interviewing Stan on the radio back in 1961 before the story in JIM #83 was even in the planning stages.  This is pre-ASM #15, Amazing Fantasy #15 and very likely pre-Hulk #1.  And even if some minor local radio show did seek out the relatively unknown Stan Lee back in 1961, the entire Marvel mythology at that point in time consisted of Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny, Sub-Mariner, and Ant Man. Not much of a pantheon yet.  It just doesn't ring true as a possible 1961 event.

Exactly.

Lee may have even sought some free radio time, but... no one was talking about a Marvel 'mythology' after 4 issues of the FF. 

On 10/13/2024 at 3:17 AM, Zonker said:

But then we get to the page I posted, and Stan has decided to adapt something from Norse mythology as a result of that radio interview.  But he doesn't know which Norse god to choose until he figures out that Thor's hammer can both be a) the weapon he's looking for his hero to wield, and b) the means for that hero to fly.  Just seems way bass-ackward to me.  The logical progression to me would be: 

Choose Thor as a heroic archetype => Define the characteristics of Thor's hammer in the Marvel U => Define how the hammer lets Thor fly

But in Stan's telling it is:

Looking for a weapon => Looking for a flight scenario => So Choose Thor (How many other Norse mythological candidates were there, realistically?) hm

EDIT:  I originally typed ASM #15 when I meant Amazing Fantasy #15.

Yep.

Liars always tangle their stories up the more they speak.