• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2024 at 8:06 AM, VintageComics said:

This is a great side tangent that can illustrate how one poorly chosen word can affect the outcome of an entire discussion perpetually, and how that poorly chosen word can create a world of conflict and disagreement.

The dinosaur discussion in regards to the biblical narrative always causes a stir, mainly because I believe parts of the Bible has been mistranslated for centuries due to intellectual dishonesty. I believe it's a case where translators put their beliefs before the facts and interpreted, rather than translated passages not than letting the facts speak for themselves. 

People lead with a belief rather than form it by allowing the words to speak for themselves. 

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew originally, and it was translated out of Hebrew into all common languages.

1st verse of Genesis, as popularly translated and commonly accepted reads like this: 

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Note the use of the word "the" (see bold in verse 1) leads everyone reading to believe that this was THE actual beginning, with no previous existence making the creation story about 7000 years old chronologically, and removing any ability for there to be a fossil record. 

But a more correct translation, even though not well recognized, is that the verse should read like this:

1 In a beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Just correcting the worth "the" to "a" completely changes the meaning of the entire opening passage, and by extension, changes the entire biblical record, meaning that there WAS a previous existence, and that it was buried under water.

For biblical enthusiasts, they'll also note that this correction ALSO starts to align with later passages which talk about a 1st, 2nd and 3rd earth and heaven, a previous possible flood referenced in the time of Noah, etc. It completely changes EVERYTHING. 

But for this discussion, it also completely opens the existence for a fossil record before the Genesis 1 creation story, removing 'conflicts' with science and aligning the two. 

Did someone just make this up? Is there a precedent that supports the use of the word "a" rather than "the"?

There actually is. 

2000 years ago, Hebrew was almost a lost language in the Middle East. Because the Koine (ancient) Greek was the prominent language of the world due to the conquests of Alexander The Great, the situation was so dire that at the time Hebrew became a near lost language and lost to history. Because of this, the scholars of the time committed to translating the ancient Hebrew texts to Greek, using prominent Greek and Hebrew scholars of the time so the old texts could be understood by the average person because they no longer spoke Hebrew.

They chose 70 scholars to perform that translation and the translation came to be known as famously as "The Septuagint" or "The Seventy". 

How did the Septuagint translate the 1st first of the bible?

They chose to use the word "a" rather than "the", as I pointed out. 

You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions. :wink:

It's why proper, logic and reason are so important in any historical discussion. Words matter. Meanings matter. Context matters.

While I get your point, I am pretty sure that Mike has made it very clear he doesn't want anyone veering to religion as some people are very sensitive on that subject. Talking about the history of the Bible is very interesting, but the chances of offending someone are very high given that there are so many different versions of the Bible and who made what selections necessarily becomes a sensitive topic.

On 10/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, sfcityduck said:

While I get your point, I am pretty sure that Mike has made it very clear he doesn't want anyone veering to religion as some people are very sensitive on that subject. Talking about the history of the Bible is very interesting, but the chances of offending someone are very high given that there are so many different versions of the Bible and who made what selections necessarily becomes a sensitive topic.

I agree. There are many more suitable places than a comic book forum for Biblical exegesis.

The religiously minded have been pummelling each other since 18.00 GMT on October 23rd 4004 BC, and we in this thread have only just started, so let us sideline this topic.

And, as a parting shot, those dinosaurs which were too big to fit onto Noah's Ark became extinct.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

On 10/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

I agree. There are many more suitable places than a comic book forum for Biblical exegesis.

The religiously minded have been pummelling each other since 18.00 GMT on October 23rd 4004 BC, and we in this thread have only just started, so let us sideline this topic.

And, as a parting shot, those dinosaurs which were too big to fit onto Noah's Ark became extinct.

Good Omens is one of my favorite tv shows. I wasn't as fond of the book because I am much more a Terry Pratchett fan than a Neal Gaiman fan. But Neal's scripts for the two mini-series have been absolutely brilliant stuff starting from minute one - which I believe you just referenced (presumably from memory) - which included the notation that the Earth was created on October 21, 4004 BC at 9:17 am - no idea the timezone. (Let the argument begin!  Just kidding)

On 10/16/2024 at 5:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

the notation that the Earth was created on October 21, 4004 BC at 9:17 am - no idea the timezone. (Let the argument begin!  Just kidding)

This idea was Usshered in back in 1750, when timekeeping was not as refined as today's.

However, Superman, the Spectre, the Flash, Rip Hunter and many others have ventured even further into the recesses of the past.

comicrh7.jpeg

comicshow25.webp

Edited by Albert Tatlock
scan added.

On 10/16/2024 at 11:06 AM, VintageComics said:

People lead with a belief rather than form it by allowing the words to speak for themselves. 

You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions. :wink:

It's why proper, logic and reason are so important in any historical discussion. Words matter. Meanings matter. Context matters.

Yes, people do start with belief and work backwards, such as starting with the presupposition that the bible constitutes proof of anything.

I have no problem with people believing anything they want, and you know I have no problem with you Roy, but you're brow-beating everyone about proper logic while not employing it yourself. Biblical debates are not the place to employ formal logic.

On 10/16/2024 at 10:24 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

The kid on the right cannot bear to watch.

I think the adult had just found the barn loft stash. Dang. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/16/2024 at 5:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

That's because they didn't waste time over thinking things, like we do. GOD BLESS ...

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You forgot to add something they were less impactable.  They didn't destruct Earth, but we do!!!

On 10/16/2024 at 6:23 PM, JollyComics said:

You forgot to add something they were less impactable.  They didn't destruct Earth, but we do!!!

...and they were cooler looking. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/16/2024 at 11:06 AM, VintageComics said:

This is a great side tangent that can illustrate how one poorly chosen word can affect the outcome of an entire discussion perpetually, and how that poorly chosen word can create a world of conflict and disagreement.

The dinosaur discussion in regards to the biblical narrative always causes a stir, mainly because I believe parts of the Bible has been mistranslated for centuries due to intellectual dishonesty. I believe it's a case where translators put their beliefs before the facts and interpreted, rather than translated passages not than letting the facts speak for themselves. 

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew originally, and it was translated out of Hebrew into all common languages.

1st verse of Genesis, as popularly translated and commonly accepted reads like this: 

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Note the use of the word "the" (see bold in verse 1) leads everyone reading to believe that this was THE actual beginning, with no previous existence making the creation story about 7000 years old chronologically, and removing any ability for there to be a fossil record. 

But a more correct translation, even though not well recognized, is that the verse should read like this:

Just correcting the worth "the" to "a" completely changes the meaning of the entire opening passage, and by extension, changes the entire biblical record, meaning that there WAS a previous existence, and that it was buried under water.

For biblical enthusiasts, they'll also note that this correction ALSO starts to align with later passages which talk about a 1st, 2nd and 3rd earth and heaven, a previous possible flood referenced in the time of Noah, etc. It completely changes EVERYTHING. 

But for this discussion, it also completely opens the existence for a fossil record before the Genesis 1 creation story, removing 'conflicts' with science and aligning the two. 

Did someone just make this up? Is there a precedent that supports the use of the word "a" rather than "the"?

There actually is. 

2000 years ago, Hebrew was almost a lost language in the Middle East. Because the Koine (ancient) Greek was the prominent language of the world due to the conquests of Alexander The Great, the situation was so dire that at the time Hebrew became a near lost language and lost to history. Because of this, the scholars of the time committed to translating the ancient Hebrew texts to Greek, using prominent Greek and Hebrew scholars of the time so the old texts could be understood by the average person because they no longer spoke Hebrew.

They chose 70 scholars to perform that translation and the translation came to be known as famously as "The Septuagint" or "The Seventy". 

Technically yes, but I'll nit-pick that based on the modern academic census (and actual Hebrew temporal clauses) it is actually better interpreted as "In the beginning OF god creating the heavens and the earth". I would not go as far to say this 'aligns' it with science, rather it simply defeats the dogmatic concept of creation ex nihilo ;)

*runs back into the shadows* YOU WON'T GET ANYMORE FROM ME ON THE SUBJECT! *cackles*

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/16/2024 at 12:26 PM, Mmehdy said:

It is clear Stan did not create Spider-Man...it was Joe, Jack, Steve and then maybe Stan putting it together.

That's not clear at all. It's definitely not clear to Steve Ditko and Joe Simon (or Stan Lee but I know you don't trust what he says, so let's focus on Steve and Joe).

Steve says Spider-Man was created by him and Stan. Ditko also says the idea that Jack worked on wasn't the Spider-Man idea that got published in AF 15. In Ditko's mind, it os just like Jack saying he created Thor, when Thor was an already created character. At a minimum, Ditko believes that he and Stan created the version of Spider-Man that appeared in AF 15 (the only truly fully created Spider-Man), including the costume, powers, webshooters, etc. Just like the Thor in JIM 83 was a new creation (a re-creation) despite Thor already being an extant character in comics and books because he had new unique attributes. Finally, in Ditko's view, Kirby's Spider-Man idea was an unworkable idea that was a "failure." All of this is in Ditko's written articles quoted up thread.

[Corrected Edit] Ditko also says that he and Lee created the Hulk that became popular in TTA after the Hulk that appeared in Hulk 1-6 failed. Again, Ditko views the "re-created" Hulk to be a new creation just like Hulk was a new version of Frankenstein. This reasoning jives with what Kirby said in interviews: "Hulk is Frankenstein." 

Joe Simon denies that the ideas he and Kirby worked on constituted creating Spider-Man. He does claim to have come up with the name "Spiderman," but basically says "so what?" Joe took Kirby to task for claiming S&K created Spider-Man. He said in an interview that Kirby told him (Joe) that he (Kirby) made the claim because he was concerned about money. 

All of the above is preserved in Ditko's published writings and interviews of Jack and Joe. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/17/2024 at 1:44 AM, COI said:

Yes, people do start with belief and work backwards, such as starting with the presupposition that the bible constitutes proof of anything.

I have no problem with people believing anything they want, and you know I have no problem with you Roy, but you're brow-beating everyone about proper logic while not employing it yourself. Biblical debates are not the place to employ formal logic.

+1000

On 10/16/2024 at 10:06 AM, VintageComics said:

There actually is. 

Is what you are trying to say is…

In “The” beginning of the Marvel Universe ”A” Stan Lee Lied.

Got it! :jokealert:

On 10/16/2024 at 4:34 PM, sfcityduck said:

That's not clear at all. It's definitely not clear to Steve Ditko and Joe Simon (or Stan Lee but I know you don't trust what he says, so let's focus on Steve and Joe).

Steve says Spider-Man was created by him and Stan. Ditko also says the idea that Jack worked on wasn't the Spider-Man idea that got published in AF 15. In Ditko's mind, it just like Jack saying he created Thor, when Thor was an already created character. At a minimum, Ditko believes that he and Stan created the version of Spider-Man that appeared in AF 15 (the only truly fully created Spider-Man), including the costume, powers, webshooters, etc. Just like the Thor in JIM 83 was a new creation despite Thor already being an extant character in comics and books because he had new unique attributes. Finally, in Ditko's view, Kirby's Spider-Man idea was an unworkable idea that was a "failure." All of this is in Ditko's written articles quoted up thread.

Kirby also says that he and Kirby created the Hulk that became popular in TTA after the Hulk that appeared in Hulk 1-6 failed. Again, Ditko view the "re-created" Hulk to be a new version just like Hulk was a new version of Frankenstein. This reasoning jives with what Kirby said in interviews: "Hulk is Frankenstein." 

Joe Simon denies that the ideas he and Kirby worked on constituted creating Spider-Man. He does claim to have come up with the name "Spiderman," but basically says "so what?" Joe took Kirby to task for claiming S&K created Spider-Man. He said in an interview that Kirby told him (Joe) that he (Kirby) made the claim because he was concerned about money. 

All of the above is preserved in Ditko's published writings and interviews of Jack and Joe. 

All of the things Ditko, Kirby or anyone else said acknowledging Lee's input were wrong.  All the things they said bad about Lee are right.