• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2024 at 9:30 AM, Prince Namor said:

Available now at Amazon!

I think I would have bought the book if it was just about discussing the contributions of all those great creators.  I can do without the negative around Stan Lee.  Same message but different tone.  Just my opinion. 

Edited by DanJD

On 10/8/2024 at 11:39 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

If hyperbole did not exist, Stan would have felt it necessary to invent..

Fixed that for y--

Oh, never mind... :sorry:

On 10/8/2024 at 7:30 AM, Prince Namor said:

Available now at Amazon!

* Best Sellers Rank: #88,361 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

Also available Son of Origins of Marvel Comics (Deluxe Edition)

* Best Sellers Rank: #39,126 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

This stuff matters to us. Not so much to the world at large. But I can't fault you for being almost 50,000 spots lower on the charts than Stan Lee's book. It's a niche but the topic matters I think. So any speech has value - even if it is just to spur testing in the crucible of ideas.

On 10/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, jcjames said:

Stacy Lee was Peter Palmer's girlfriend. 

xD

I thought that was Rosey Palmer and her 5 sisters? ... GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/8/2024 at 9:27 AM, sfcityduck said:

This stuff matters to us. Not so much to the world at large. But I can't fault you for being almost 50,000 spots lower on the charts than Stan Lee's book. It's a niche but the topic matters I think. So any speech has value - even if it is just to spur testing in the crucible of ideas.

ConfusedLarryw7

No need to be confused. The "crucible of ideas" is a First Amendment concept. The concept is that speech has value, regardless of its accuracy, because it is only through the clash of ideas that occurs during dialogue and debate that we can bounce ideas off one another and find better answers than any of us might have arrived at on our own. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/7/2024 at 11:35 PM, sfcityduck said:

Mitch does the author footnote his sources for his information? His threads come across to me as predominantly as a collation of aerguments made in places like the Jack Kirby Collector, the Kirby Museum blog site, etc.

There is definitely value to collating information. And it does take effort but it is unhelpful if the original sources are not cited so the context can be checked.

Contents are what is important...footnotes as just footnotes...nobody really reads them

In this masterpiece, the quotes themselves speak for themselves ........

This is the most controversial posting on this board for 2024, the most controversial book about comic book history for the 2020's....

It is a must read SFDuck....as a sixty year collector plus, as a person who grew up with these books and read Hulk #3 until it was worn out, .....Read the book If you dare!!

and then come back and hit me with everything you got on this books inaccarcy.

Edited by Mmehdy

The sales numbers matter to you.. but this is comparing Apple to Orange....of course Chad does not have the advertising power and distribution that Marvel has.....It is David vs Goliath.......

So...the truth takes a while to come out...slowly the tide will turn....in five years board members and other collectors will hail this book as a watershed moment in comic book  history....

In other words...give this book time to get there!

Edited by Mmehdy

PPT - Fallacy #4-Appeal to Popularity PowerPoint Presentation, free download - ID:2608204