• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,603 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2024 at 3:26 PM, VintageComics said:

I think that is the conclusion that most will agree with throughout this entire thread. 

Yep, this is an appeal to numbers and popularity, but what else is the measure of the success of Marvel's collaborative greatness between Lee and Kirby than the fact that most people believe that it's their greatest achievement. 

963kp3.jpg

On 10/9/2024 at 6:51 PM, comicwiz said:

By 1967, with the forthcoming Grantray-Lawrence cartoon, merchandising, action figures, games...someone was about to make a lot of money...and it wasn't the person that sat at the drawing board. When Lee asked Ditko years later, if he would return for one LAST SPIDER-MAN STORY, Ditko replied, "Not until Goodman pays me the royalties he owes me."

I wonder where Sean Howe got this? 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:52 AM, Prince Namor said:

I wonder where Sean Howe got this? 

In 2005, Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko, Lee says “Much later, I asked Ditko if he would ever consider coming back to do one final Spider-Man story. To my surprise, he said, ‘Not until Goodman pays me the royalties he owes me!’ I had no idea what he was talking about, as Martin usually kept me apprised of such things.”

On 10/9/2024 at 7:57 PM, comicwiz said:

In 2005, Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko, Lee says “Much later, I asked Ditko if he would ever consider coming back to do one final Spider-Man story. To my surprise, he said, ‘Not until Goodman pays me the royalties he owes me!’ I had no idea what he was talking about, as Martin usually kept me apprised of such things.”

Sounds like something Lee made up, because he assumes every one is as motivated by money as he was.

If Ditko was after money, he would've taken it when Lee reached out about the co-creator status to him during the first Spider-man movie hoopla. Ditko could've gotten paid big right then and there. I don't believe it was ever about the money. I believe it was over the work he'd done that Lee was credited for. 

On 10/9/2024 at 9:42 AM, Prince Namor said:

Sounds like something Lee made up, because he assumes every one is as motivated by money as he was.

If Ditko was after money, he would've taken it when Lee reached out about the co-creator status to him during the first Spider-man movie hoopla. Ditko could've gotten paid big right then and there. I don't believe it was ever about the money. I believe it was over the work he'd done that Lee was credited for. 

Add another tick to the lie count.

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/8/2024 at 3:13 PM, Aman619 said:

youre always 120% for or against something, not a great example of moderation.  And sure the truth is the truth...  Which truth?  Everyone here agrees that Stan got and took too much credit for Marvel  Nuff Said.  The rest is character assassination plus, for good measure, deification on the other side.  Regardless of the eye openingly impressive amount of research done for the book -- which is a major feat -- the problem remains one of cherry-picking what works best.  It's delivered less like an "opinion" than Moses coming down with the Word of G-d.

I'd get defensive and snippy too if I were the author.  But after a while, the rest of us just roll our eyes at the stubborn and dismissive nature of the replies..exhaustingly slapping down all points made against it, and questions about details.    

But -- the "truth is the truth" right?   too bad its handled in such an off-putting manner.  

I am 99% on SM side...120% does not exist in the real world....

Research means credibility.....and this book does hit the 99% mark....

Stating the truth is not defensive ...it is factual.......

Read the book and come back at me.....

On 10/8/2024 at 11:04 AM, AndyFish said:

Wow 86 pages.

Stan was prone to hyperbole.  To the general public who know these characters only from the movies he was the creator of the Marvel Universe.  To those of us who have actually spent time reading the books we know that's not the case.   One need only look at STAN LEE CREATES THE DC UNIVERSE or STRIPPERELLA to see what Stan comes up with on his own.   Jack Kirby (who I consider the King of Comics) was an amazing visionary but his dialogue was often clunky and at worst embarrassing.   Same goes for Steve Ditko (Prince of Comics), read his MISTER A to see what a solo version of Spider-Man might have been like.

There was some magical combination of these teams.

Ignorance is not unusual-- how many "hardcore" comics fans barely know who Will Eisner is and the massive contributions to the industry he made that paved the way for guys like Lee and Kirby-- Lee respected him so much he wanted him to take over as EIC of Marvel when he was leaving but Eisner declined because he didn't know or like Superheroes (source?  Will Eisner told me).

Congrats on the book.  Best of luck with it.   We all have our own opinions and I respect that.

Will Eisner…the true King of Comics!

On 10/8/2024 at 4:41 PM, Prince Namor said:

Correct, and I pointed this out near the start of the thread.

The absence of any semblance of balance from the OP's side, and the venom and vitriol being spewn about Stan Lee and anyone else who would dare disagree with the author who get insults like:

1) LOL

2) "you're a Marvel Zombie"

3) "you were taught to hate New Gods"

4) "you're blind because of your hero worship"

...these accusations do NOTHING to advance the discussion and everything to show that the clip is empty and that there's nothing left in the chamber to debate with.

Expand  

Those comments were made as a generalization - not toward anyone specifically.

They're generalizations you've stated about most if not all people that don't agree with you. It's an ad hominem attack. You're throwing shade at every person who disagrees with you, as though they're the unreasonable ones. 

If RMA was fact checking you the way he fact checked everyone else's debate tactics, the length of this thread would double. 

What evidence have you proposed?

It doesn't matter what evidence anyone proposes because you keep moving the goalposts. It's your central debate tactic. 

The fact that you don't see yourself doing it is far more worrisome. 

For example, you pit quotes from Stan and Jack against each other, when they're not even talking about the same thing.

They were talking about the creation of Thor.

Correct. In the quotes you provided:

i) Kirby was generalizing about how he came up with some of his ideas over the years. 

ii) Stan was specifically talking about the gift of flight as being his idea.

You still think they're talking about the exact same thing and worse, you believe the two quotes contradict each other. 

Everyone can see that they don't.

I'm not sure what else can be said when the use of logic isn't the point of the discussion. 

Edited by VintageComics

• Administrator
On 10/10/2024 at 4:11 AM, Prince Namor said:

I get it, Delic. You have NOTHING to show proof that Lee came up with Thor flying other than, "Lee said so."

So you nit pick this insignificant detail that means nothing.

I GET IT.

You have nothing.

YOU LOST.

Either continue the DEBATE on the SUBJECT - Proof that Lee came up with the idea - which you can't - or QUIT.

Because I have provided FIVE reasons that show Lee most likely DIDN'T and a SIXTH one I still haven't unveiled yet.

So come on, Delic. Stop making excuses. 

As you would say: EVERYONE CAN SEE IT - YOU'VE LOST.

Your move, slugger.

This has reached the point of being contentious.  Please refrain from this to avoid the thread being shut down.