• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to buy with 9,000? Help!
2 2

35 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2024 at 10:37 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

My first point would be, buy what would bring you the most collecting joy, if you are not looking at it from an "investment" standpoint.

Now personally, I am 100% biased in your dilemma, but I would go with the ASM #1. I would say an affordable graded copy of ASM #1 may weather any price fluctuations better than some of the bronze mid-level characters / 1st appearances you are looking at. And if you are not in a rush, buy the nicest 2.0 or whatever you can. Hard to go wrong with Spidey :wink:.

Also, achieving some of those other keys post ASM 1 purchase over time will be far more attainable than trying to get ASM 1 after the big spend.

2c

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is where I am currently at. I am not as big of an x-men fan, but xmen1 I could get in a higher grade and it has more 1st apps, as well as the greatest "villain," Magneto ! :) I would overall enjoy asm 1 more because like u said,  all the other asm books are way more attainable after that . 

On 9/12/2024 at 11:02 AM, Tnexus said:

I'd buy a nice OA cover or page personally. 1 of 1's will likely retain more value.

I have thought of this . I don't know much about original art scene as I am way too broke to seriously partake in it.  Also, 9k is not enough for a Buscema Conan cover or Todd asm one lol

Steer away from bronze age, copper, and modern books.  Looks like they are still declining. A TMNT 1st print CGC 9.8 just sold on Heritage for "just" $87k. I believe I heard of a private sale during the covid collectibles boom where someone paid close to $250k for a 9.8 copy. Hulk 181's have been declining in price, unsure when it will end.  Silver age seems to be rebounding and adjusting to prices.  It appears majority are at their 2020 fmv, some even as down as 2019 prices.  Golden age appears to be the strongest market. Certain genres like GGA, PCH, etc. have skyrocketed after the covid boom.  

You should be able to pick up a nice looking 4.0 ASM #1 for around 9K (shrug). Maybe target a 3.5 for around 8K and pickup some/one of the lesser keys as well.

i have no idea what the future of the SA market is, but since i have been collecting for about one decade now or a little over, spiderman has consistently performed well. asm1 is a good book as are asm2 and asm3. all the key ditko villain first appearances have done well, post-covid bubble notwithstanding. i personally like 2 and 3 more than issue 1 since there is no important first appearance in issue 1. but all three are great books that will probably remain in demand for as long as people care about silver age books. 

I'd probably buy a few really nice Wrightson's House of Mystery covers and then maybe put the rest in my bank account, then change my contribution amount in my 401K to 25-30% for a few months.  Once that remaining comic money runs out then I'd convert my contribution back to 15%.  By the time I retire, that $9k in my retirement account will be worth much more than the $9k I would have spent on a comic book. 

On 9/12/2024 at 10:01 PM, Semicentennial said:

I'd probably buy a few really nice Wrightson's House of Mystery covers and then maybe put the rest in my bank account, then change my contribution amount in my 401K to 25-30% for a few months.  Once that remaining comic money runs out then I'd convert my contribution back to 15%.  By the time I retire, that $9k in my retirement account will be worth much more than the $9k I would have spent on a comic book. 

That works until it doesn't. Don't ask how I know. Me, I'd hit a stack of 9.4 slabbed DC Horror (Adams and Wrightson) or some low grade 50's PCH with mad eye appeal. Possibly others, ASM always seems to have staying power. Sadly, 9K is the new 900, so the booty might be underwhelming. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/12/2024 at 10:44 AM, Dark Knight said:

Steer away from bronze age, copper, and modern books.  Looks like they are still declining. A TMNT 1st print CGC 9.8 just sold on Heritage for "just" $87k. I believe I heard of a private sale during the covid collectibles boom where someone paid close to $250k for a 9.8 copy. Hulk 181's have been declining in price, unsure when it will end.  Silver age seems to be rebounding and adjusting to prices.  It appears majority are at their 2020 fmv, some even as down as 2019 prices.  Golden age appears to be the strongest market. Certain genres like GGA, PCH, etc. have skyrocketed after the covid boom.  

TMNT 1 had a major price increase in the last 10 years.  If and when the price is stabilized for this book, then that's #1 book to get for the Copper age.  Can't go wrong with a print run of 3250

On 9/13/2024 at 1:47 PM, jimjum12 said:

That works until it doesn't. Don't ask how I know. Me, I'd hit a stack of 9.4 slabbed DC Horror (Adams and Wrightson) or some low grade 50's PCH with mad eye appeal. Possibly others, ASM always seems to have staying power. Sadly, 9K is the new 900, so the booty might be underwhelming. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

This is exactly what I would suggest too. I would think Batman has a higher upside right now then Spiderman does. Batman sales in the BA are crazy good with constant increases. Batman 227 237 241 and 251 Detective Comics 395 400. Super high-grade Phantom Stranger 10 would be on my buy list too.