• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

I have been on the lookout for a 1960's Dan DeCarlo pin-up page for several years, but it wasn't until Dan Forman made this page available I thought it was worth the funds and effort to add one to my collection:

Pep_196_p16.jpg

Most of the things I was looking for are here:

* Dan DeCarlo's signature

* It is from the mid sixties.

* All of the "core five" (Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead & Reggie) are in it.

* It is a scene straight out of a Beach-movie with Annette & Frankie. (Goes with this and this.)

* Rudy Lapick is the inker (my educated guess).

And on top of that there is the bonus of Moose and Josie, Melody & Pepper!

When I showed it to Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez at Comic-Con in San Diego Jaime told me that he actually remembered when it was published in Pep #196 in 1966. He must have been eight years old at that time. He also said thet he didn't realize at the time that Dan had put Josie and her friends in it, that came later. They were both very enthusiastic about it (even though Harry Lucey is their favorite Archie artist). :)

It is slightly oversized, approximately 19" X 13", so it didn't fit in my suitcase but fortunately I was allowed to carry it (in a mylar bag) as a "personal item" on the flight home. :grin:

Click on the picture for a larger scan in my Dan DeCarlo-gallery on CAF.

Edited by Caltex98

Finished the Singapore Comic Expo and picked up over 20 sketches and some OA.

Met and interviewed some great artists: Olivier Coipel, Humberto Ramos, Cameron Stewart, David Mack, Harvey Tolibao, Frank Kozik, Alex Solis, Kim Jacinto, Phillip Tan, Andie Tong, Sonny Liew, and the list goes on.

I've got pieces all over the place.

Will be uploading pics with details on my CAF:

CAF Folder

You can see raw pieces without the accompany details or stories on photobucket:

Photobucket Photo Dump

Here are some for those who need a prompting to click the URLs. PS: Can someone help identify the Coipel female drawing? He kindly did a sketch (no request specified) and whacked that up.

Andie Tong Dr Strange Commission

66F462CF-6D9A-487B-8048-CE7D4DE721E8.jpg

That Dr Strange is terrific!

I have been on the lookout for a 1960's Dan DeCarlo pin-up page for several years, but it wasn't until Dan Forman made this page available I thought it was worth the funds and effort to add one to my collection:

Pep_196_p16.jpg

* It is a scene straight out of a Beach-movie with Annette & Frankie. (Goes with this and this.)

When I showed it to Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez at Comic-Con in San Diego Jaime told me that he actually remembered when it was published in Pep #196 in 1966. He must have been eight years old at that time. He also said thet he didn't realize at the time that Dan had put Josie and her friends in it, that came later. They were both very enthusiastic about it (even though Harry Lucey is their favorite Archie artist). :)

It is slightly oversized, approximately 19" X 13", so it didn't fit in my suitcase but fortunately I was allowed to carry it (in a mylar bag) as a "personal item" on the flight home. :grin:

Great story and Pin-up :applause:

I had pretty much stopped collecting commissions, in favor of only collecting published pieces, but I couldn't pass up a chance to get a couple more pieces by Kelley Jones and Phil Noto, two of my favorites, at Cincy Comic Con this weekend.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics. You can see nicer scans and pics in my comic art fans gallery, linked in my sig line.

Kelley is a super nice guy and I never thought I'd own a single sketch by him, much less two. Since I got Batman a few years ago, Swamp Thing seemed like a good choice this time.

14aj3t0.jpg

I never thought Phil could top the Batgirl he did for me a few years ago, but I am in love with this Widow. I had a hard time deciding on who to have him draw, so it seemed like kind of a boring choice, but since that's what he's working on these days, it seemed like a safe bet. He knocked it out of the park. I lurv it.

15prclf.jpg

Pep_196_p16.jpg

Cool page and great story :applause:

I have always wanted to get a complete issue of Infantino's Flash original art since I bought my first Flash OA 10 years ago. I have been working on this particular project for over 7 years, but I figured you guys would appreciate what I have so far. I picked up 4 pages this week from the great people at All Star Auctions.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=160206

Also, if you know where I can find some of the missing pages, please PM me.

I have always wanted to get a complete issue of Infantino's Flash original art since I bought my first Flash OA 10 years ago. I have been working on this particular project for over 7 years, but I figured you guys would appreciate what I have so far. I picked up 4 pages this week from the great people at All Star Auctions.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=160206

Also, if you know where I can find some of the missing pages, please PM me.

I appreciate!!!