• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JLA 1 is it fair?
4 4

26 posts in this topic

I pictured the cover and the book apart to see better.

The spine split is probably 1/3 of the length or even a bit more...

Corners cutted from page 9 to 18 but it's not affect panels or text so I guess it change nothing. 

20240914_090657.thumb.jpg.64606a480e79204790f168850191e5d6.jpg20240914_090711.thumb.jpg.8a1254f2b85b2865e726504f07ae5912.jpg20240914_090742.thumb.jpg.75a90d27b842b25330783d2cd8fc44c6.jpg20240914_090525.thumb.jpg.2dd41b6a74fb32e32417c8ba96c6a27a.jpg20240914_090534.thumb.jpg.4f62297e3426f278928c245798721eb1.jpg

20240821_095910.jpg.f09be18b840113534afea7c2e542b29d.thumb.jpg.c56fb2344169b4ffd8a254742b7c59fc.jpg

For what it's worth, I don't believe the edge chips on the back cover are purely "organic" (having developed as a result of rough but "normal" handling/wear).  I've never seen "naturally-occurring" chips with edges this straight.  I'm 99% certain either scissors or a cutting blade was used here.  hm

J4.jpg.21234f4535651990151e9086be309a77.jpg

On 9/14/2024 at 5:07 PM, zzutak said:

For what it's worth, I don't believe the edge chips on the back cover are purely "organic" (having developed as a result of rough but "normal" handling/wear).  I've never seen "naturally-occurring" chips with edges this straight.  I'm 99% certain either scissors or a cutting blade was used here.  hm

J4.jpg.21234f4535651990151e9086be309a77.jpg

Obviously pal. lol

Edited by Coverdeath

I was thinking to send it to MCS, i know they are rude in grading.

So make it me feared a bit. 

But I m really a bad grader, I tought it stay nothing of my book but in definitive 1.8 would be nice.

Edited by Coverdeath

On 9/14/2024 at 10:14 AM, Coverdeath said:

I was thinking to send it to MCS, i know they are rude in grading.

So make it me feared a bit. 

But I m really a bad grader, I tought it stay nothing of my book but in definitive 1.8 would be nice.

Yeah, I graded VF. They graded FN. I graded NM-. They graded VF.  About 20% of my grades, they matched my grades.

I bought them and got one or two grades better after CGC graded my books.  We definitely know.

So all the forum is now putting the target on me because I cutted the top corner of the cover myself, what in the hell is different that if it was fall by itself or anything else...?

I think that some have me on their black list. 

How it count for the people who already replied to my thread?

@JollyComics

@vheflin

@Grendelbo

@scburdet

On 9/14/2024 at 11:11 AM, Coverdeath said:

I cutted the top corner of the cover myself, what in the hell is different that if it was fall by itself or anything else...?

As another member mentioned in your sales thread, there is a difference between the piece falling off itself vs. someone taking a pair of scissors to the to the book.  A piece falling off on it's own is considered a defect and natural.  Someone snipping off a piece is trying to remove the defect to improve the appearance of the book which is not good.  

Edited by Semicentennial

On 9/14/2024 at 11:11 AM, Coverdeath said:

How it count for the people who already replied to my thread?

Irrelevant.

PGM graders do their best to give you an honest assessment of numerical grade (based on the description and images provided).  That being said, hidden defects (like replaced staples, a detached centerfold, or a married or missing interior page) or undisclosed restoration (such as color touch, a tear seal, or trimming) will affect the eventual CGC grade category (Universal, Qualified, Restored, etc).  I would argue that grade category generally has a much greater affect on value than a one- or two-increment change in numerical grade:foryou:

On 9/14/2024 at 8:31 PM, Semicentennial said:

As another member mentioned in your sales thread, there is a difference between the piece falling off itself vs. someone taking a pair of scissors to the to the book.  A piece falling off on it's own is considered a defect and natural.  Someone snipping off a piece is trying to remove the defect to improve the appearance of the book which is not good.  

I wanted to improve it to my eyes and my eyes only, I always knew that it will look worse for everyone else, but for me it was better. At the time I did it I never planned to sell the book and now that I'm selling it people tell me that it's a technique to improve the book...

Edited by Coverdeath

On 9/14/2024 at 8:43 PM, zzutak said:

Irrelevant.

PGM graders do their best to give you an honest assessment of numerical grade (based on the description and images provided).  That being said, hidden defects (like replaced staples, a detached centerfold, or a married or missing interior page) or undisclosed restoration (such as color touch, a tear seal, or trimming) will affect the eventual CGC grade category (Universal, Qualified, Restored, etc).  I would argue that grade category generally has a much greater affect on value than a one- or two-increment change in numerical grade:foryou:

Again this is ridiculous, you just have to torn it with your fingers of a insignificant inch and the book will change of category again! What do you want from me that I damage it more than what is it already!?

On 9/14/2024 at 12:01 PM, Coverdeath said:

I wanted to improve it to my eyes and my eyes only, I always knew that it will look worse for everyone else, but for me it was better. At the time I did it I never planned to sell the book and now that I'm selling it people tell me that it's a technique to improve the book...

I understand that you want to make it look good for yourself, I'm sure a lot of uninformed collectors will do the same.  I'm sure I did some color touch on some of my books when I was 10 years old, because I wanted it to look good in my collection.  If someone told you to trim your book if you plan on selling it because it's a technique to "improve the book", then they were trolling you.  It may improve the appearance of the book, but you're actually hurting the value of the book.  It's fine if you trim the book, it's just not disclosing it and then trying to sell it without mentioning anything you've done to it makes it look shady. 

You also didn't address the missing pieces on the bottom right corner.  I know you said it wasn't trimmed, but it looks like its missing pieces.  

Edited by Semicentennial

Dude the “work” you did is ridiculous, especially when you try and sell it in multiple sales threads without disclosing the “improvement” you made. Plus you don’t allow returns? LMAO

Plus you have already changed your board name how many times?

How many strikes should you be allowed??

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

Edited by Jordysnordy

I've bought maybe one trimmed book that I know of.  I didn't know it was trimmed until a few months later.  The book looked great in hand, but once I saw the trimming I was just disgusted with the book.  Now I don't know if the seller trimmed the book or not, but if they did and sold the book without disclosing the trimming to make the book look better, then I'd sure as hell would be royally pissed.  This is exactly what happened with this book.  It was trimmed to "improve the book" so that it could sell better and without any disclosure.  Not cool at all.

Edited by Semicentennial

@KCOComics

Your last advice on the sale thread had absolutely no sense, you told me to describe my book as restored and more of that told me the price I have to put on it?

As I said many times I could simply torn the corner and the book will be back in the blue label, this is a non sense.

Im really deceived by how the people are thinking, acting, buying, in this hobby. 

I will stay far from it and never use these forums again to sell a book and I also hope to never have to sell a book.

Anyway i buy only what I like so it will be no reason to have to sell.

I will also take distance from these forums except few relations in pm.

I like to have different opinions and comparate them to others but certainly to be targeted as I am now!