• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I resubmit or not worth it?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I submitted an X-Force #1, that was originally in its polybag, for a Signature Series of Rob Liefeld and did not have it pressed. I did this before I really knew about pressing and what it can do for the value and look of the book. I got it back with an 8.5 rating with the following grader notes: polybag crease/bend back cover and spine stress lines cover. I feel that if I resubmit, with a press, that it should easily get a 9.4 or higher. Is it worth it to resubmit?

Screenshot_20240917_093722_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_093751_Chrome.jpg

Here's what I would do to find out if it is worth it. 

1.  Find out the cost for yourself to press and resubmit.  You can go to the CGC website and look up the costs of everything.  Make sure you look up shipping costs (there and back) as well as insurance.  If you're dropping it off at a con, factor that.  If you're international, factor those costs in.  Nobody here knows that about you but you, and there's no way for any random internet stranger to know without you telling them, and it does affect the cost.

2.  Find out the achievable price if you were to sell it right now as is.  I'd start with ebay sold, and then look at gpa analysis to see if you if you can at least find a price range.  This is data that anyone here would look up as well.  If the there isn't exactly applicable data, you do your best to get a range.

3.  Find out the likely achievable price range for a CGC SS 9.4, this should be readily searchable.  

Do some math, see if the math works out for your own personal preferences.

My 2c would be that it's not worth it.

A while back I sent in a book that I had a 3rd party presser press for a signing - it also came back an 8.5 (in hindsight I should have just sent it in w/o a pre-press, but lesson learned). I sent it back to CGC for a press & regrade and it came back a 9.4, which I think is still below what it should be - the graders notes say 'creasing to cover' which I learned meant fiber breaks, which won't come out in an additional press.

With your book, I see 2 big issues - there's that CBC on the spine and a chunk out of the bottom left corner - an additional press isn't going to do much for either of those issues. 

That said, like the other posters have said, do your cost analysis to determine if the press, regrading and shipping is worth it to you. If it is, go for it, but I wouldn't hold your breath that it'll get graded too much higher, and you might actually lose that custom label. 

On 9/17/2024 at 10:49 AM, Adulwulf said:

I submitted an X-Force #1, that was originally in its polybag, for a Signature Series of Rob Liefeld and did not have it pressed. I did this before I really knew about pressing and what it can do for the value and look of the book. I got it back with an 8.5 rating with the following grader notes: polybag crease/bend back cover and spine stress lines cover. I feel that if I resubmit, with a press, that it should easily get a 9.4 or higher. Is it worth it to resubmit?

I see enough defects that this will never get to a grade that makes this worthwhile to get pressed and regraded.  You'd need a 9.6 or better as this is a very common book.

Chalk this up as a lesson learned at a relatively inexpensive cost and keep the book to show your grandkids 'I remember when Papa didn't know anything about pressing and sent this in'..

On 9/17/2024 at 9:49 AM, Adulwulf said:

Nope, consider it the price of learning a valuable lesson that you won't repeat.  The book just doesn't have enough value to resubmit. (thumbsu

I dont worry too much about the grades of my signed books.

The sig is what matters to me.

That said, Id probably crack an 8.5 and throw the label in bag/board with the book...as a certificate of authenticity.