• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic Con 2024 - Photo Heavy
2 2

136 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2024 at 2:30 PM, 1Cool said:

Steve gets a big smile on his face and gives me a handshake and starts talking to me about how I’ve have been and how I’m doing. I get this stunned look on my face and stammer something about being good and my name is Andrew since I couldn’t imagine he would know who I am.  We talk a bit about his new job at ComicLink and he gives me his number if I want to talk comics.  Just a sincerely nice guy and it left a smile on my face to have a nice discussion with him.  

A few years ago, I was going into a convention floor and he was going out (or vice versa) and I recognized him and stopped him to see if he could answer a question for me about Heritage Auctions (which he was no longer working for). My daughter and I talked with him a bit, nice conversation, and we went our separate ways. Another year or two I was leaving the Baltimore Convention center to get some lunch and saw him outside having a smoke break, stopped to say hello and he remembered me from before. Our daughters are about the same age, and we talked about them, comics, just stuff. We always look out for him at shows when he's there, and we've had a lot of good talks with him, he's even invited us to lunch a couple times. Really nice guy, and very interesting to talk to.

On 9/26/2024 at 7:11 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, that’s Mike Carbonaro in the black suit

Such an odd booth and I'd have to agree it does feel like an old school thrift store. Carbonaro is a staple at these big cons and is a character but his booth is probably the most unappealing booth at the con from a visual stand point.  I see him making deals for some big time books when I'm walking around so I know he is legit but that booth is a mess.  

On 9/26/2024 at 5:34 AM, 1Cool said:

Such an odd booth and I'd have to agree it does feel like an old school thrift store. Carbonaro is a staple at these big cons and is a character but his booth is probably the most unappealing booth at the con from a visual stand point.  I see him making deals for some big time books when I'm walking around so I know he is legit but that booth is a mess.  

Indeed and he likes it that way. For the adventurer and flea market guys like me, I find it fun. You never know what are in those strewn out piles. Just be very careful and carefully look through anything you buy from him. Not saying he is trying to rip anyone off but he is just in such a hurry and has a hard time focusing. I wish he priced like a flea market seller but I have gotton a lot of real good deals in those messes. 

On 9/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Indeed and he likes it that way.

It's poor customer service. It shouldn't be about him, it should be about his customers and making sure they can find what they're looking for if he has it in stock. As someone who is hyper-organized, that booth makes me gag.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 9/26/2024 at 12:00 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

It's poor customer service. It shouldn't be about him, it should be about his customers and making sure they can find what they're looking for if he has it in stock. As someone who is hyper-organized, that booth makes me gag.

That picture must have been from Friday, too, because by the time Sunday came around, it was worse - over where the guy on the left is looking thru a box, there was just a bunch of stuff on the table strewn around.

On 9/26/2024 at 12:00 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Half of the boxes were water damaged books. 

On 9/26/2024 at 1:53 PM, ttfitz said:

That picture must have been from Friday, too, because by the time Sunday came around, it was worse - over where the guy on the left is looking thru a box, there was just a bunch of stuff on the table strewn around.

It was early on Saturday morning.  I stopped over there before most people where open and he was packing up those boxes and it sounded he was trying to do a bulk sale of the whole lot.  Appears he was successful if that area was empty later in the weekend.  

Edited by 1Cool

On 9/26/2024 at 1:53 PM, ttfitz said:

There’s a few YouTube vids where collectors visit Mike’s house and he gives a them a tour, all the while hustling to make a sale on this or that book, mag, toy, whatever.

reminds me of the show “Hoarders”

On 9/26/2024 at 9:00 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

I am also super organized so I get what you are saying. Mike is a weird character. And quite the huckster. He loves what he does and does it his way.

Like I say, if you want deals you sometimes have to work for them. I have no problem pawing through messes in old houses, barns and yes even comic shows to get good deals. There are never any deals on the pretty walls but if you box dig or spend  a little time at booths like this, you are sometimes rewarded.

I got a nice pile of mid grade PCH from a box on the floor of his booth at Torpedo. Half guide because I bought them all. He loves to turn and burn fast.

One thing that almost always works is to “show him the money”. Wave cash in front of him and the deal often closed quick. 

On 9/26/2024 at 3:34 PM, Aman619 said:

thanx...  !

He loves undergrounds and all that weird stuff and is a great guy to deal with. If you want his contact info, LMK.