• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade change for a hole on a page
3 3

10 posts in this topic

How will a cut out section of a comic affect the grade of a book?  The book has a rough grade of 5.5 without this hole.  How much will this affect the grade?  Will it cause the book to get a qualified grade?  I am not an expert with holes and was hoping for a little advice before I made a purchase.  If this is off topic I can delete this thread.

IMG_7745.jpeg

Edited by Tubthumper82
Misspelling

On 9/25/2024 at 3:28 PM, Tubthumper82 said:

How will a cut out section of a comic affect the grade of a book?

A cut or torn piece out of an interior story panel is definitely a defect that makes a book eligible to receive a Qualified  Grade from CGC.  In this case, assignment of an "otherwise" grade is straightforward -- just ignore the missing piece.

However, assigning a Universal Grade to such a book is a much less well-defined endeavor.  I've seen books with a missing piece or pieces certified with Universal Grades ranging from CGC 0.5 all the way up to CGC 6.0.  I've never been able to deconstruct or "reverse engineer" this part of CGC's grading rubric.  Maybe @The Lions Den will share his thoughts.  :foryou:

PO-Q96.thumb.jpg.a7b907905a9da65d822535cbbda6ea6d.jpg PO-15.thumb.jpg.b62a2e72a8dc52e94b62d91a0ca92dcc.jpg PO-60.thumb.jpg.3e97a0e37192acc0b69b83c4ac70ad8f.jpg

Qualified as is

You can request that cgc grade the copy as if the piece were not "missing" and it would receive a blue label with notes or request that it be graded as is and receive the qualified label. A request does not guarantee that cgc will honor the request. It's the reason you see both labels with similar defects...lower grade blue or higher grade green is what you need to consider.

Edited by Funnybooks

On 9/26/2024 at 6:08 AM, Funnybooks said:

You can request that cgc grade the copy as if the piece were not "missing" and it would receive a blue label with notes or request that it be graded as is and receive the qualified label.

You have this backwards.  Account for the missing piece, then Universal (Blue).  Ignore the missing piece, then Qualified (Green).  :preach:

A submitter may request that his/her book be assigned a Universal Grade, and CGC will honor that request.  However, a Qualified Grade is assigned at the sole discretion of the CGC Grader(s).  Remember, most submitters don't know which specific defects (or even what condition range) make a book eligible to receive a Qualified Grade.  What do you think CGC's response would be to a submitter who requested CGC to "Please ignore the 5" tear on the front cover and assign this book a Qualified Grade."  hm

On 9/26/2024 at 10:12 AM, Tubthumper82 said:

Thank you very much.  I appreciate this greatly.  I love learning new things :)

In this case, CGC would probably just make a note of it and factor it into the overall grade. And IIRC, they treat flaws on the cover differently than they treat flaws on the interior... 

On 9/26/2024 at 9:02 AM, zzutak said:

A cut or torn piece out of an interior story panel is definitely a defect that makes a book eligible to receive a Qualified  Grade from CGC.  In this case, assignment of an "otherwise" grade is straightforward -- just ignore the missing piece.

However, assigning a Universal Grade to such a book is a much less well-defined endeavor.  I've seen books with a missing piece or pieces certified with Universal Grades ranging from CGC 0.5 all the way up to CGC 6.0.  I've never been able to deconstruct or "reverse engineer" this part of CGC's grading rubric.  Maybe @The Lions Den will share his thoughts.  :foryou:

PO-Q96.thumb.jpg.a7b907905a9da65d822535cbbda6ea6d.jpg PO-15.thumb.jpg.b62a2e72a8dc52e94b62d91a0ca92dcc.jpg PO-60.thumb.jpg.3e97a0e37192acc0b69b83c4ac70ad8f.jpg

It really depends on several factors including how large the piece that's missing is, where the piece is missing from (does it affect the story or not, because remember all grading should be done from the POV of READING a comic book) and what the rest of the book is like, structurally to being with. 

It's sort of a sliding scale, or a convergence of several sliding scales, but I'd start with the grade of the book without the missing piece defect, and then adjust from there. 

A higher grade copy takes a much larger hit than a lower grade copy for every introduced defect. 

Also, I believe if it affects the readability of the story, you're going to have a much larger hit to the grade than if it's just missing from an ad page or a margin. 

Edited by VintageComics