• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a Marvel Zombie are you?

16 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2024 at 7:44 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I recently completed a full inventory and I'm sad to say I only have 300 DCs out of 11,500 books. That 97.4% Marvel Zombie.  I need to go back in time 30 years and tell myself not to be so focused.

I don't know (shrug) that sounds about right :wink:

These days I mostly follow certain creators, and they don't do much work for the "Big Two".

I usually get about 30 new books a month. Marvels tend to account for 2 or 3 of them, and maybe a bit more with DC, say 4 or 5.

But from my back issues collection, probably 25 of my approximately 75 long boxes are Marvels (mostly from 1970 to 2000).

I’ve tended to prefer reading a wide range of comics, genres, publishers, apart from a short period at the start of my collecting, that summer of 1977 through to 1982, when I was Zombified and oblivious to anything which didn’t have the sacred Marvel Comics Group or Marvel All-Colour Comics on the cover.

Then onwards, I liked a mix of Marvel and DCs, no preference, and this was diluted still further during the indie boom of the 80s, and also by the introduction of more European material when I was at university and got more experimental and pretentious ( joking? ).

Since then, to keep engaged with the medium, I’ve just focused on anything which looks interesting, not judging it at all by publisher. Impossible to quantify something so variable and give a % breakdown.

That said, now cured of the Zombie virus, I still look back on those exciting first five years of Making Mine Marvel to the exclusion of everything else.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I only bought Marvels the first 5 years or so I started buying comics as a kid.  The first DCs I bought were The New Teen Titans and I bought quite a few DCs off the rack in the 80s.  To this day though, I've not actively sought out any DC series to collect as far as actively buying back issues.  

I'll say I'm at 40% DC, 30% Marvel, 30% Other (indies, foreign, modern, magazines).  Marvels have been easier to rehome during my downsizing efforts, so there is some distortion from my earlier ratio.  Can't quite seem to give away the DCs with marginal current market value, so they remain and slowly become the bulwark of my holdings.  Gotta learn to love the DCs, I guess. 

David 

For may years I was Marvel only, then I discovered Kyle Rayner, then the JSA, then eventually I expanded. I guess it's because I started with the Marvel Master works my library had. I read and reread those things to the bone. Only DC I remember them having was the Death Of Superman Tpb. Yet strangely, the first tpb I ever got I ordered from this internet bookshop. Yeah, an internet site that sells nothing but books. It'd never work, but it treated me well. I ordered Alan Davis' The Nail. I must have seen an ad for it in Wizard or something. Otherwise I don't know how I knew about it. I didn't have a comic shop, just a newsagent, and I didn't use the net for comics really, except for occasionally some flash-in-the-pan site that would last as long as that bookshop, comicbookresources.com.

Nowadays I'm a lot more balanced in my collected editions. But I still lean towards anything X-Men or Fantastic Four, though I am behind on both books. Krakoa lost me as it was just too much and too unfocused, and too little Hickman, and I didn't like the Dan Slott run, and am waiting for North's run to get an omnibus, as I keep hearing how good it is.