• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something New Just Discovered Regarding DC Ashcans

29 posts in this topic

Darn it tth2, I was going to mention that one. In Whiz Comics' Case, there were 3 attempts to copyright it using ashcans. So, that makes sense there. Interesting about human torch though.

I thought the story was that Red Raven was cancelled after first issue and therefore Torch, it's replacement, started with #2.

This may be discussed somewhere in an old thread (my apologies, no time to look), but does anyone know where the Double Action #2 copies surfaced from? I just picked up the 1993 Sotheby's catalogue which noted they were offering a newly discovered 5th copy. The 35th OS Guide states there are now 7 copies known. Where where they from?

Moondog, with respect to the debate over whether Double Action is an ashcan or not, are there any other DC ashcans that are in color or number as high as 7 copies? Also, in the book you quote from, is there a source listed for the info on the four Action title ashcans?

Mark:

The source was Sol Harrison. Sol did not have a Double Action 1 in his files but he did have 2 loose Double Action 2 covers. Steve Fishler bought one and I bought the other (which I sold in 2004).

The DC Flash seems to be the most common DC ashcan. I once owned 3 and knew of 3 others.

I saw a Double Action 2 for sale in the mid-70s at a Chicago YMCA mini-con. It was on a dealer's table and was a VG at best. I've never seen any others.

The only other color ashcans I'm aware of are Super Market Comics and Super Market Varieties that Fawcett published. The DC Real Screen Funnies sports a yellow cover (it's the same cover artwork as the regular issue # 1 but only in yellow).

--Gary