• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the master of the bizarre/macabre in the GA/PCH eras? Let's go for a walk on the dark side ...
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Over in the Recent Pre-Code Purchases thread, @Jayman posted a great comparison of two Bailey covers

(Don't know how to cross-thread post so including raw links too, since I'm not sure if the images come through with the tipped in link)

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/29148-recent-pre-code-purchases/?do=findComment&comment=13305735

The covers are even more striking when one considers that the RL #6 cover was published Aug 1954 and the WM #12 cover was published Sept 1954.  Bailey knew exactly what he was doing here and was one seriously demented dude or had an extremely sick sense of humor :devil:

However, as @Jayman pointed out, Lou Morales had some chops too

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/29148-recent-pre-code-purchases/?do=findComment&comment=13307998

Bailey's covers for WM were outstanding, but I don't want to limit this to covers.  As @Robot Man pointed out  ...

It's all fair game and there's a lot out there.

Share what you know and let's all take a walk on the dark side :fear:

Edited by kent allard
comment re cover dates got left out

On 10/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, kent allard said:

Over in the Recent Pre-Code Purchases thread, @Jayman posted a great comparison of two Bailey covers

(Don't know how to cross-thread post so including raw links too, since I'm not sure if the images come through with the tipped in link)

Looks like none of the images came through with the link.  If someone can educate me, I'd appreciate it and I'll edit the post.

I am NOT including any examples of my own - I'm leaving that up to you all :)

Ah @Robot Man, excellent!  I figured with your extensive PCH collection you'd turn up some good stuff.

Matt Fox certainly has some bizarre covers.  His work reminds me of Hannes Bok.  I especially like the Chilling Tales #11, though I personally was after dark/morbid rather than 'just' bizarre, which Bailey nails.  Perhaps I should change the title to reflect that.

I think pulps should be out of scope for this thread, but here are a few delicious ones I just scored in the MCS Prime auction.  Did Matt Fox do anything that was *not* bizarre?

image.thumb.jpeg.24f4c64de6cea0c4c12299cb8da6f945.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cb8d7ba0ef062afba5ca5ab9cf9794f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eded8e9df61e26c0564c55173483fe2c.jpeg   

On 10/15/2024 at 7:51 PM, C. Spaulding said:

More crime than horror but horrific nonetheless - Charles Biro has always stood out to me for having some of the most imaginative and violent covers.

IMG_6415.thumb.jpeg.f98cbedea09b1da5ce1b1e875c184c74.jpeg

Biro had such a sick mind to come up with the covers he did and that is one :bigsmile:

On 10/15/2024 at 5:03 PM, comicjack said:

Biro had such a sick mind to come up with the covers he did and that is one :bigsmile:

Whoa!  I haven't seen that one before.  He had another one quite similar involving a stove (can't recall the issue right now), and the infamous human ironing board cover, but here her hair is actually on fire.  Pretty graphic.

I would agree, Biro was willing to push the envelope and be controversial in his work ('here's a piece of candy little girl') but he didn't go macabre the way Bailey and Wolverton did.

On 10/15/2024 at 4:36 PM, MrBedrock said:

Graham Ingels, and specifically the cover of HOF 18 with its depiction of Ed Gein-like human skin draped over ghouls and gnomes, Dr. Moreau rebuilt animals, and the Old Witch presiding over everything...

hof18.jpg

Ghastly indeed!

Another master practicing his craft.  (Beautiful copy by the way (worship)(worship)(worship).  Thanks for sharing it!)

On 10/15/2024 at 6:43 PM, Jayman said:

Bill Everett delivered some bizarre fare too!

Spellbound # 14 (2).jpg

I've been waiting to see some choice morsels from Everett.  I dig the chick leaning against the tree with her arms folded.  A bit of levity :)

My problem with Everett is he seems too narrow - to me his oeuvre is just a lot of skeletons or body parts whereas Bailey and Wolverton really let it rip.

On 10/15/2024 at 6:52 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Did Biro do an ironing cover as well or were you thinking of this one by Dan Barry? Either way it gave me a reason to post this :devil:

IMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.b30509d0a2d49301c83f1896662c2cd1.jpeg

My mistake, you are correct - but it could have been Biro :)   (Ah, it's so nice that people are posting these beautiful copies of these books (worship)(worship)(worship))

Edited by kent allard
props for the cover