• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it okay to just buy a book from an artist at NYCC without having them sign it?

6 posts in this topic

I think it's totally fine to not want a sig. I picked up a book at NYCC last year and didn't recognize that it was the artist who was right in front of me - he asked if I wanted it signed and I said no thanks, presuming there was an upcharge, but in hindsight he was probably just being friendly.  I picked up a couple other books at tables where I did recognize the artist, and they didn't ask if I wanted it signed, so I think it's just an in the moment kind of thing and you shouldn't feel bad about declining a signature (especially if they charge for the sig).

I don't think they will be upset if you don't want it signed. Sadly a lot of creators have become disillusioned with signing stuff. Assuming a lot of people are doing it just to try to flip it to make money. So, honestly I think you turning down their sig offer will probably tell them you care about the book more than making money off their sig. So, they will probably appreciate it.