• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Cover (2nd at Centerfold) -- How does CGC grade / treat that?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hey there!

I have a very sought after bronze newsstand key with a very rare (I have never seen or heard of one) second cover in the centerfold of the book.

I know with double covers where the covers are stacked consecutively at the front of the book CGC assigns the grade to which ever cover has the highest and it denotes which cover received the high grade.
But I have never seen a 2nd cover placed in the centerfold area, on top of that the cover is upside down (the 2nd centerfold one that is)...

I would assume, as this is a manufacturing error much like the more typical 2nd cover error that you would treat it the same and grade the inside cover at the centerfold (assuming that is the higher grade).
But I wanted to check before submitting and also wanted to know if I should bring this submission to the attention to someone in particular as I would assume a more experienced grader may need to handle it.

Please advise.

• Administrator

Hello!

Great question! Unfortunately, this type of situation is not covered in our CGC grading guide or on our Website Grader Notes (found HERE). Because of this, in order to understand how our graders would identify such a piece, we would need this in hand to be reviewed with our graders. Although it is a cover, as it would be the interior most wrap, it may not be treated/identified as such on the grade in the same way as normal multiple cover issues. Because of this, we would need the book in hand to review. 

When submitting this, please write on the packing slip and on a sticky note attached to the bag/board "EXTRA WRAP/COVER INNER MOST WRAP ATTN Shawn". Once we have this in house our graders will review this directly to confirm. Thanks for checking and your understanding.

Regards,