• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel what ifs?...

6 posts in this topic

These new ones are horrible! ugh.

I hope Oeming and Kirkman can make the thor one readable, but the rest were just aweful. the sub-mariner one was the only one that was mildly interesting....

Is there a higher purpose to them putting out this drivel?

Yes. Marvel policy is to glut the racks with product to maintain market dominance. Why? Because if you can't actually increase sales on your titles by making good comics then you might as well make more titles of questionable quality to sell along with more crossovers and do more variant covers. Fans have proven over and over again that this is a smart policy by buying the material.

I'm a huge fan of the What If title, but I read the one featuring Wolverine recently (it's #1, I think), and let's just say...I got it for half-cover at a local used bookstore, so my disappointment didn't carry the same sting that it would have had I paid full cover for it. That being said...aw heck, it was terrible. They're supposed to have one continuous storyline for the next year, aren't they? It would help if they diverged from a specific event, but they're not, they're just showing an alternate world.

I've been reading a lot of What If vol. 2 issues recently, and I have to say that What If has never been the same since they canceled vol. 1. They eventually got rid of the Watcher to introduce the stories, and also stopped answering specific questions for a while. If you were familiar with the original storyline, you would (supposedly) know what diverged and when...but if not, you were out of luck. I was just plain lost in several of them.

IMO, they need to get back to the original formula that made What If such a successful title in the 70's and 80's. I didn't read the one-shots they released earlier this year, but I hope to get them at some point.

Yes. Marvel policy is to glut the racks with product to maintain market dominance. Why? Because if you can't actually increase sales on your titles by making good comics then you might as well make more titles of questionable quality to sell along with more crossovers and do more variant covers. Fans have proven over and over again that this is a smart policy by buying the material.

Yep... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Agreed thumbsup2.gif