• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading Back Issues Versus Off-the-Press New Stories: Anticipate or Gratify Now?

8 posts in this topic

What's your preference?

I think most readers like reading new stories as the unfold (whatever modern title that may fancy you: New Avengers, Batman/Superman etc.) - but doesn't that "unfinished" feeling ever get to u when u get to the end of a comic? Like - u then have to wait A MONTH before u continue reading - and even then, the story arc isn't necessarily over. Or do you enjoy the anticipation?

Otherwise - the option is just to mainly read back issues - where u can read entire story arcs in a single sitting - no chance to get impatient - u can read as much as u like.

Are you someone who can't wait to get to an ending? Then perhaps back issues are for you!

OR, do you think waiting is half the fun? Then pick up those comics as they come off the press!

I used to love reading books month-to-month but that was BB -- Before Bendis.

Back in the day I loved reading stories that stretched out over several issues. Each issue still had as much bang for the buck as their done in one counterparts but the story still had a couple or three issues to develop. A couple of examples that stand out in my mind are Secret Wars, the Punisher mini series and the Simonson run on Thor. All of those were great individually but left you where you could hardly wait until next months.

Today, however, it is completely different. It makes me sick reading 22 pages (plus 26 pages of ads) just to see a bunch of talking heads, uh... talking. Sure the more complex story lines are cool but each issue sucks. Just go grab a random issue Daredevil or U. Spider-Man or New Avengers. Chances are, if you know nothing about the current story arc, you will not go get the next issue. For me there is almost no joy in picking up a random book and "giving it a try". If I want to try out a new title I have to drop $20 on 6 or 7 issues. If I don't like it then that money is just wasted.

What's your preference?

I'm a monthly guy, but there are some books I buy in trade only. There are definitely books that I should go to trade only on (100 Bullets, Daredevil), but my collector mentality won't allow it.

I still buy all the Bullets trades in case I want to go back for a series re-read, but I cannot not get the monthly (although it's frustrating as hell sometimes).

I probably wouldn't buy another 30 Days of Night book as a monthly, but I'd buy the trade.

I guess it really depends on the series.

I have no interest in new comics in the least - other than the odd truly exceptional work (that I buy in TPB anyway) I outgrew that format a long, long time ago.

The only reason I read back issues now is for nostalgia, to get back that feeling of being a little kid again, exploring these incredible worlds for only 25-cents a shot.

I've been very busy reading back issues (mostly Marvel) from about 1962 to the late 70's. (Currently am reading the original Ghost Rider run). I've enjoyed reading comics on a regular basis from the early 80's on, but never had the passion many longer-type readers had. And...by that I mean the readers that were reading the runs since they started in the early 60's. So, I started reading most of all the Marvel runs since then to become more familiar with Marvel Universe history.

I am planning on re-reading everything...including the 80's and 90's comics I purchased new as they were printed. I do know I'll have a better appreciation for the stories having now a better understanding of the history of the characters.

Gotta' admit, the moderns are even more fun now having read since the 60's and 70's on a regular basis. What's frustrating though, is I'm definitely enjoying DC's stuff over Marvel in terms of quality.

Reading both...but liking the moderns better. I've learned however, that in order to really really appreciate the modern stuff, you've gotta' read the back issues to become familiar with the history of the character. Makes it all that much more appealling in a big way.

When I've finally re-read everything, I know I'm going to want to buy the back-issues I've missed ('cause I'm not buying anything new right now). I may not be interested in any Marvel back-issues though...mostly because there doesn't seem to be a Marvel Universe anymore. Something tells me though Marvel appears to be getting back on track and my opinion on that may change.