• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's allowed for each grade: CGC Vs Overstreet?

16 posts in this topic

CGC has never published their grading criteria, Overstreet has.

So what defects are acceptable for a book to recieve 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, ect. ???

What slight's are allowed in each grade, as you've observed?!? popcorn.gif

When possible, post a scan to back-up your theory. thumbsup2.gif

Buy a Grading Guide! makepoint.gif

You mean the Grading Guide that has that NM- Teen Titans # 1 with "#1" written in ink on the cover?!?

poke2.gif

So you wouldn't just consider the #1 like an arrival date poke2.gif

I think that it depends on how old the book is. CGC is much less conservative on a GA book than a SA or Modern. The book below has a blunted edge above the 2 L's in All. I would say, that it is about the same quality book as the 5.5 ASM #109 on page 237 of the OSGG. Even though both books have different defects.

th_CGCallgreatcomics1001.jpg

No one on this forum has a clue about CGC grading. So all they can do is try to be cute. I wish there could be some serious discussion about your topic but there won't be. I have tried with other threads and they just die..........................

I know......you're right.

It would be nice to have some discussion on just the 9.2, 9.4 & 9.6 grades, ie blemishes, stress lines, ect. Curious to see if there is much difference from Overstreet.

OK, so let me take a crack at approaching this issue in a serious manner. It's a complex topic deserving of an extensive discussion.

One aspect of grading that's been noted too many times to count over the years is the dreaded dent or crease that does not break color or paper, and can only be seen when a book is held in good light at an oblique angle. CGC hates these, and in the experience of many treats them nearly as harshly as color-breaking stresses and creases. The example I'm always breaking out is my original owner Hulk 181. Structurally, the book appears to be between NM+ and NM/M, and would be graded at least a NM+ by most dealers in the hobby. CGC, on the other hand, graded the book a 9.4 owing to two unobtrusive quarter inch indentations near the spine on the back cover.

On the other hand, there are areas where CGC can be more lenient than the old grading standards in effect before its existence. Miscuts, misfolds, misplaced staples, significant loss of cover color whiteness, and sun shadows used to keep books from being given NM or higher grades by many dealers, but there are thousands of examples of CGC 9.4 and higher books bearing these defects.

OK, so let me take a crack at approaching this issue in a serious manner. It's a complex topic deserving of an extensive discussion.

One aspect of grading that's been noted too many times to count over the years is the dreaded dent or crease that does not break color or paper, and can only be seen when a book is held in good light at an oblique angle. CGC hates these, and in the experience of many treats them nearly as harshly as color-breaking stresses and creases. The example I'm always breaking out is my original owner Hulk 181. Structurally, the book appears to be between NM+ and NM/M, and would be graded at least a NM+ by most dealers in the hobby. CGC, on the other hand, graded the book a 9.4 owing to two unobtrusive quarter inch indentations near the spine on the back cover.

On the other hand, there are areas where CGC can be more lenient than the old grading standards in effect before its existence. Miscuts, misfolds, misplaced staples, significant loss of cover color whiteness, and sun shadows used to keep books from being given NM or higher grades by many dealers, but there are thousands of examples of CGC 9.4 and higher books bearing these defects.

Thanks good stuff. This is not a silly question but what is CGC's grading defects difference between a 9. 8 9.9 and 10.0 . Only because I submit some 10.0s that are perfect (IMO) and and they all come back 9.8.

Thanks good stuff. This is not a silly question but what is CGC's grading defects difference between a 9. 8 9.9 and 10.0 . Only because I submit some 10.0s that are perfect (IMO) and and they all come back 9.8.

I'm begining to think it depends on what they had for lunch that day, whether or not they had sex the night before, and what their plans are for the coming weekend. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thank you, Namisgr, for taking the time to approach this subject. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

For now, let's leave the "Miscuts, misfolds, misplaced staples, significant loss of cover color whiteness, and sun shadows " out of the equation and talk about books that have good to excellent QP.

So in 9.4, as in your example, two very slight non-color breaking 1/4" indentations are acceptable....according to CGC. I suppose one such indentation would be allowed for a NM+ 9.6? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is helpful to someone such as myself who has never actually sent a book in for grading. This and the fact that such considerations are difficult to see with a slabbed book due to the case itself.

I don't think anyone will be able to provide the rational for what constitutes a 9.9 or a 10.0.

As for what I have noticed between the grade of 9.6 and 9.8 is a richness of color, deeper, darker, brighter than the same book in 9.6 (taking the same book in 9.6 and 9.8 to compare). Anyone else's observations? popcorn.gif

I'd recommend we talk mainly of the difference between 9.0- 9.4 for this discussion, just to keep things on track.

My observation of a classic CGC 9.0 is one where the book usually has one corner where the book has been impacted, causing a ripple-like, but not color breaking, indentation along with one corner which is almost square, except perhaps 1/16th".

CGC 9.2 usually exhibit the upper RHC and lower RHC both have the corners being just off of being square by 1/16th".

It would be nice to have some regular submitters, such as Sterling or Greggy, join in....... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My observation of a classic CGC 9.0 is one where the book usually has one corner where the book has been impacted, causing a ripple-like, but not color breaking, indentation along with one corner which is almost square, except perhaps 1/16th".
You mean, like that NM comic you tried to pawn off on me! makepoint.gif