• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this weeks Marvels... not bad

10 posts in this topic

so we all like to trash new books every now an dthen, But I just read two good Marvels: Daredevil and Spidey/Other. Bendis is really bringing DD to a rousing close of his long reign. Big stuff happening. So big, I almost think its a DC with a complete character/universe overhaul just months away! Its all different after this series.

As for Spidey, well, Im on record as being uminpressed with thie whole OTHER thing. But, if this is where Strazinski was heading, he sure gave it some thought. I liked the inner dialogue about the Spider or the Man. It made sense in a silly comic boooky way, and clearly explained how and why SPidey "died" and was reborn, and how it all fits in with all that has come before,. So Spideys back and and all is well for moving onward again...

I'm going to disagree with you on The Other storyline... 11 parts [embarrassing lack of self control] plus one part okay does not equal any kind of redemption. JMS' addition to the Spidey mythos (aside from Gwen's trist with Norman) seems to be that Spidey is not just a freak accident, and frankly, I think that takes away from the character's originality and uniqueness.

And given that Spidey did exactly what happened in this issue about a year earlier in the Spider-Man Dissassemble storyline in Spectacular Spider-Man (he changed into a spider and then metamorphosed within the Spider's body to emerge with new powers and abilities) makes this even less original and hardly salvage-able.

As for Daredevil... I'm waiting for the hardcover.

I'm going to disagree with you on The Other storyline... 11 parts [embarrassing lack of self control] plus one part okay does not equal any kind of redemption. JMS' addition to the Spidey mythos (aside from Gwen's trist with Norman) seems to be that Spidey is not just a freak accident, and frankly, I think that takes away from the character's originality and uniqueness.

And given that Spidey did exactly what happened in this issue about a year earlier in the Spider-Man Dissassemble storyline in Spectacular Spider-Man (he changed into a spider and then metamorphosed within the Spider's body to emerge with new powers and abilities) makes this even less original and hardly salvage-able.

As for Daredevil... I'm waiting for the hardcover.

thumbsup2.gif

I didnt even remember that other Other storyline with a spider. oh well, I just didnt think this one chapter was as bad as the previous ones. As fo the overall length, yeah, it sucks, cause right now the story is over, but there are three more issues to come!

I don't think its bad at all. When Peter "died," I did wonder how Marvel was going to handle an ensuing 893censored-thumb.gif storm. I still have yet to read the past 2 weeks worth of comics, but I don't really have any complaints. I just hope this "new costume" isn't off the wall and doesn't look all that different. I didn't read the Disassembled Spidey story though. Is that how his web shooters became organic?

I don't think its bad at all. When Peter "died," I did wonder how Marvel was going to handle an ensuing 893censored-thumb.gif storm. I still have yet to read the past 2 weeks worth of comics, but I don't really have any complaints. I just hope this "new costume" isn't off the wall and doesn't look all that different. I didn't read the Disassembled Spidey story though. Is that how his web shooters became organic?

So Parker "dying" doesn't affect you at all? Despite not reading how it was resolved? What can Marvel NOT do that would bother you? If all you're worried about is a change in costume, I'd suggest you don't get the character at all. Maybe Archie is more your speed...

Jim

I don't think its bad at all. When Peter "died," I did wonder how Marvel was going to handle an ensuing 893censored-thumb.gif storm.

What 893censored-thumb.gif storm? I think people are becoming a bit de-sensitized by what Marvel does to their characters. 5 years ago there may have been a 893censored-thumb.gif storm, but today it is a gimmick. A sad, sorry, and ultimately ineffectual gimmick.

No storm at all really, because no one actually thought he was dying. But I'm not surprised to see you defending the validity of this garbage. Even if the story wasn't a total hackjob, the Pat Lee artwork in many of the chapters was enough to make everyone but the most adamant supporter run for the hills.

At least this last part with the Deodato art looked better.

And yes, the Spectacular story was where he gained the organic webshooters and gained another unused power, a rapport/connection with spiders.

So Parker "dying" doesn't affect you at all? Despite not reading how it was resolved? What can Marvel NOT do that would bother you? If all you're worried about is a change in costume, I'd suggest you don't get the character at all. Maybe Archie is more your speed...

Jim

Jim, I didn't say that. I expected Peter to return if he did "die." Marvel wouldn't be dumb enough to kill him off for good. God help anyone who actually thought he was dead at the time. screwy.gif