• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 68 Please Grade My Book

12 posts in this topic

Robert Beerbohm here going back to grading school. I wish to thank those who have ventured opines on the first batch i listed here. I will be posting a series of books over the next couple weeks in an effort to come up to speed on tightened grading standards coupled with having bought a few pairs of eye glass 2.75 magnification "cheaters" to augment waning 20/20 vision brought on by advancing years. Any help welcomed. http://www.BLBComics.com

MarvelMystery068front.jpg

MarvelMystery068back.jpg

I've had this book since July, out of a one owner collection from a farm house in South Dakota of about 70 books where the Action 65 67 came out of - most all the books out of this batch have mostly white type paper, stored not so far from where the Lamont Larsen collection was uncovered

Kicker is just a few of the book's staples picked up a bit of moisture creep, very slight actually not getting into the inside paper at all, just a thin layer on the outside cover, stored as they were in a barn since circa 1943, when the collection waned.

Good thing is it was just a few books and this Marvel Mystery has zero rust on its lone staple it was printed with - common for this era of World War Two so they could make more bullets.

The earliest book was Detective 16 June 1938, and it, while a beater G+ well read, had white paper, making the Action #1 advert inside front cover a real beaut to look at

And i wish to thank all who have ventured opinions on what i have posted so far as i undertake a serious re-look at grading standards opinions. Having been in his this in a serious way since my first mail order ad in RBCC #47 Oct 1966 while still an 8th grader in Jr High school, it seems grading standards just keep to want to tighten and re-tighten as the price (perceived value) of olf comic books just seems to go up and up.

Maybe i should have figured out how to have kept the at least VF+ white paper Detective #27 from the Tom Reilly (erroneously called "San Francisco" copies) for today's marketplace.

At the time I sold it to Burl Rowe, then of Houston Texas, for $2200 in June 1973, it shattered the then-world's record of Action #1 selling for $1801.26 in May 1973. That Tec 27 was the first book to sell for over two grand as well as the Whiz #1 from the Reilly collection i sold to Burl for two grand even - they were that nice.

We got 100s of AP/UPI newspaper stories run about it in papers as far away as Germany and within a month we had bought 3 more Tec 27 copies along with huge amounts of other old comics - a long time ago now in a galaxy far far away.

I have no problems re-entering grading school to teach this-here old dog new tricks. I continuously dig up great old comics, like i have for decades now.

And i want to have all the people who acquire books from me to be happy camper customers who want to come back to dip inside my comics well. And i am not going to be doing 25-30 shows a year any more - too much wear and year on myself as well as the books getting to market, so i wil lbe here to get stuff mailed out pronto and answer any and all questions timely.

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.BLBComics.com

Bob, is that a small tear under the 10 cent price ??

unfortunately, sure is - an overlapping tear which ends where you no longer see it on the left of the 10 cent sign - there is also a nick at the bottom left front cover - i meant to say these two things up above and must have missed the cut & paste part when i posted

7.5/8.0

I get some free comics for all this grading right? smile.gif

sure, what would you like? 893whatthe.gif

Got a fair/good copy of FF 2? gossip.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually I only collect the older stuff so freebies are probably out of the question.

sorry.gif

6.5 FN+ because of the tear right edge, tear at staple, chip missing bottom spine, chip (or is it just a fold) lower left back cover

I have no problems re-entering grading school to teach this-here old dog new tricks.

This is the part I am most impressed with. Most already think they know everything! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dan

6.5 FN+ because of the tear right edge, tear at staple, chip missing bottom spine, chip (or is it just a fold) lower left back cover

thumbsup2.gif

I have no problems re-entering grading school to teach this-here old dog new tricks.

This is the part I am most impressed with. Most already think they know everything! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I totally agree with you. It takes a lot of class to reevaluate and change with the times. smile.gif