• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Quest 2006

22 posts in this topic

Time to let the old Sandman thread fade away with the passing of the old year.

Hopefully this thread can be a sandbox for those of us with an interest in Sandman art, sharing new acquisitions, thoughts on the art, and tales of our search for the pages.

Share em if you got em!

To start off the new thread, here's my last purchase of 2005, which just arrived today. It's one of the pages I'm most proud to have in my collection:

Season of Mists Dringenberg Page

Also new today is this:

Kindly Ones Hempel Ad Page

Thanks for looking, and joining me on my quest!

Jonathan

Hopefully this thread can be a sandbox for those of us with an interest in Sandman art, sharing new acquisitions, thoughts on the art, and tales of our search for the pages.

Based on the last year - I'd be surprised if you left any Sandman pages out there for the rest of us to HAVE a new acquisition. wink.gif

Love, love, love those Kindly One ads you have ...

-Mike

Amazingly, there are pages out there to be purchased, right now as I type! The problem sometimes with Sandman is the price. Often people have that one representative page from the series in their collection, and it requires "throwing bags of money" at them to get it. Or they have a collection and are unwilling to part with anything from it. hi.gif

Finding the pages requires some creativity, but it's amazing how much you can accomplish with a Google search.

Anyone looking for something in particular? You never know if I might be able to steer you in the right direction (this doesn't apply to you, Solar -- you know most of the hidden caches!) tongue.gif I believe in good karma when it comes to these things...

J

I'm still not concerned with commissioning artists to produce work for me. This was kind of an exception in that I saw an existing piece that I really liked, and bought it. Rather than tracking down a Kelley Jones or a Michael Zulli to produce a commission for me, I'd rather save that money and use it to buy a published page of their work, when a nice example comes along.

It's official. I really hate you. I mean this in a strictly, spiteful, envious way. That is some serious good OA you have there. I just want to know, what pact you had to make with Satan, to afford the artwork you have. Okay, rant over. grin.gif

First off, thanks guys for the props. No pacts with Satan -- just good people that I've made contact with in the community who continue to help me along in my quest. When I think about how these pieces were acquired (ie I think, only one from Ebay.) it really comes down to a great community of collectors, as well as a lot of digging and research to find things.

I'm not really up on all Zulli's latest activities, but I feel like he's not doing any comics work right now, which is an incredible shame. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) He works on paintings and drawings (there are a few up on Ebay right now) and his website is active but not sure what his next comic project is?

I love his linework -- it's totally all over the place but somehow all comes together to evoke the emotions he's going for...on this piece he pencilled and inked, and it shows -- an "all Zulli" piece with no inker trying to reign him in smile.gif

The latest arrival is here! This one was certainly a surprise, as I had never seen any of Yoaka Amano's Sandman pieces in the public domain. All I had to do was look in the most obvious place!

This is the page 1 "logo" drawing from the Dream Hunters GN. Looks awesome in person. Really amazing work...

Amano Sandman Goodness!

And the framed version:

Framed Amano!

This feels ultra redundant, but I know some of you guys don't read the "L" and the sentiment is genuine:

I had never dared to hope that such an artday would arrive when I first began collecting Sandman art, not so long ago. It always seemed like most of the Sandman covers weren't for me. Either they didn't feature Morpheus, which for me was a must, or they were too large. I decided there were only three covers which appealed to me, and figured none would ever be available. Then I found out that one of the three had been stolen from McKean, so I scratched that one off the list. (#11 for those interested).

Yet here it is! One of the only other two Sandman covers I would ever have considered "going for"...(the other is #50 just to round out the story) Total thanks go out to Simon for digging this up and bringing it into the light of day!

Sandman #16 Cover!

Thanks for sharing my joy!