• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World East: Planning CGC Forum Get-Together

178 posts in this topic

DAM:

$104 from NYC? Taking Amtrak (while quicker) you could've saved 60 bucks and taken the local trains... and it probably would have taken about 2 hrs and 15 min. but I guess amtrak gets you there in like 45 minutes.

Well, I don't have a completely firm idea other than to say that at least 3 and possibly 4 or 5 other guys and I are going to get together and go for dinner and probably drinks. Now, I know that we're going for something low key, and right now I'm leaning towards Nodding Head... but I have to say that the guys might even want to stay even closer than that... so if that's the case, there's Champs (a sports bar right attached to the Marriot where you can walk in the overpass from the convention center down to the entrance) but I wasn't that high on that place and it can get really crowded.

The other option is to go to the Locust/Walnut area and find something there. I'll have a more definite idea on thursday or friday when I actually talk to them again and get an idea of what kind of place they want to go to.

Just give me a buzz in the afternoon on my cell (i pm'd it to you) and we can meet up quickly and you guys can decide if you want to hang or go your own way. I'll try to post places for food and drink on this board in a little bit.

For all attending Wizard World:

Let me make some suggestions regarding hotels, breakfast, lunch etc. places to go out at night in the general vicinity.

Hotels

Somebody up above stated the Marriot at 13th and Filbert (I don't know if that's the address that will pop up, but it is on that corner) It is directly attached by walkway to the convention center and is very, very convenient. It's nice, has a hotel bar, starbucks in the lobby and is located very close to the Reading Terminal Market. Also, it has very nice breakfast buffet on the weekends (see below) and I highly recommend it if you can get a room.

If you can't the Marriot: Courtyard is located across the street. It's also a very nice place with a great hotel bar. Often used for business conferences and my old roommate used to have regional business meetings there like once a month, so I'm sure that the accomedations are good. It's located at 13th and Filbert as well, on the circle facing City Hall and across the street from the Criminal Justice Center. Also, 2 blocks away or so from the convention center. Very convenient.

If that's full, there's the Loews Hotel (although a little pricier) at 11th and Market. Across the street also from an entrance to a walkway where you can walk across to the convention center. Located on one of the main streets in Philly, near a couple of resturaunts and 7 blocks away from the historic sections and Old City. Loews has an excellent resturaunt/bar (Tellers, I think NBC 10 here broadcasts in the morning from there occassionally)... but the crowd is more low key, but it is definitely relaxed.

There's also the DoubleTree at Broad and Spruce (don't quote me on the Spruce part, it's either Spruce or Locust (they're next to each other)). Very affordable, nice rooms (I actually stayed there) and not too far from the Convention Center. It's located in the Avenue of the Arts section and is near the brand new Kimmel Center (which is beautiful!) and there's a ton of resturaunts near there (although pricey)... you're also located much more within walking distance of things on Walnut and other bars/resturaunts if you're interested in more than just the con stuff. It's also a pretty safe area of the city (most of center city is).

If you want to go upscale... go with the Ritz Carlton, located on the square on the South Broad St. side.

Or, you can go with the Four Seasons at 18th and JFK. Most of the NBA teams stay there when they're in town playing the Sixers.

As for food:

For breakfast, there's a lot of local quick options. As I said, the brunch in the Marriot is very good, and reasonably priced. Don't order off the menu, it's more expensive, and you can pretty much the same stuff at the buffet. I also believe they have a lunch buffet, but I don't know if they have that on the weekend. They do have menu lunch though, and it is good.

Across the street at the infamous Reading Terminal Market, you'll find a ton of stuff. But I recommend the Down Home Diner, especially for breakfast. It's been previewed on the food network, and I will grab a bite before work quite often there. Absolutely fantastic. Oh, and it's cheap.

There's the corner bakery attached to Maggiano's located at 12th and Filbert across the street from the Reading Terminal Market. Want a quick breakfast (or lunch) that's not fast food? Try there. It's a staple of the diet when I have to grab something during the 20 minute lunch break the court takes.

There's a Starbucks at 12th and Market (same as in the lobby of the Marriot) and Olde City Coffee in the Reading Terminal Market, a Dunkin Donuts at Broad and Arch st (two or three blocks from the Convention Center). I'm forgetting other stuff too.

Lunch:

Let me forewarn you about lunch between the hours of 12-2 at the Reading Terminal Market. It can be a zoo, because it's always a zoo. But the selection and food there is fantastic. It's so convenient to the center, that, other than venturing into China town, it's my primary recommendation. If you like Soul Food try Delilah's, the ahmish are there and have the best Rib Sandwiches and Mac and Cheese... delicious. Spataro's makes great subs, Rocco's does too. Rick's makes good cheessteaks... and there's a little Thai place in there that's pretty good too. I'd avoid Chinese in the Terminal... sketchy. There's an ice cream place right in the front that's outstanding... and a seafood place that's also not bad.

If you venture into Chinatown (because you're already pretty close) let me throw a couple of quick places out:

Joy Tsin Lau: at 11th and Race... Dim Sum served everyday, very good... go on a Sunday, crowded as hell but fantastic. Also, they have a tough time with English... I'm Asian and they always think I speak Chinese (even though I'm Korean) so I can only imagine what they think when they see non-Asians, communication is a little tough.

House of Chen: It's rated high in Zagat. I like it... not bad. Over priced though.

Charles Plaza: That's at 9th and Vine... although again, punch it into citysearch.com.... It has, hands down, some of the best Chinese food in the city that's affordable (Sussana Foo has the best (on the East Coast maybe), but you'll spend $200 easy there). It's healthier, more traditional Chinese food. Mr. Charles is the nicest man on the planet. I cannot recommend this place enough. It's FANTASTIC!

The other places are hit or miss... and I can't think of them all now.

Dinner:

This post will go on forever, so here's the quick rundown:

On Walnut St. (between broad and 22nd), there's a bunch of upscale places that all serve high quality stuff.

At Rittenhouse square, there's Bleu, Devon and Rougue... nice places, but a stuffy crowd... drinks are nice there though, very open on a nice night.

In Olde City, there's Buddhakhan at 4th or 3rd and Chestnut. One of my favorite eateries in the city. Pan-Asian cuisine. Excellent. Used to see Mutumbo there all the time. Lots of clubs in this area too (you can go to Glam and see where A.I. got shot at!) and plenty of bars... but be prepared for an area that's popular for people who visit philly a lot, and not necessarily a favorite for me to hang out in now... but it's cool.

On second st., just below Market, there's the Plough and the Stars, Irish bar and eatery. Good place, really nice bar, after 11 pm crowded, but I think worth it. Nice beer selection.

There's Tequilla's at 16th and Locust, they don't take reservations, but it has some of the best Spanish food in the city. Dark in there, but really nice. Go early and enjoy.

As for bars, hit Rittenhouse Square and areas from Walnut on down or head to Olde City.

there's stuff outside of Center City, but it requires cabs and mass transit, if you don't know the city, best to stay sort of local. Anyway, any other info you want on stuff, let me know.

bruce:

damn, here you go, let me roll out the Thai places, as that's my favorite food:

Down on I believe 10th and Arch, there's a decent Thai place, but I forget the name. I can find out if you want me too. Good food, not outstanding.

There's Tamarind (one of my favorite, and a block away from my house) down in between front and second streets. Nice quality Thai food, and good service.

East of Amara: located at 5th and Bainbridge... not bad, a little pricey, but the quality is definitely there, but if you go all the way there, then you mind as well go to Tamarind.

Amara: The original off of East of... located in the Rittenhouse square area. Punch it into city search for exact address. Have been there two or three times. Excellent, but a little small in the space dept (common for Thai places)

There's a couple of Thai places in University City that are really, really good. And also some fantastic resturaunts (and the UPenn area of the city is very nice), but I didn't list them because of the distance, it's not that far, but it is a little hike.

If you really want to drive, there's Thai Pepper in Ardmore, just out side the city which is my favorite Thai place. It has some of the best Thai food I've had.

Oh forgot to mention:

There's Jones at 7th and Chestnut for brunch... very good.

There's the Las Vegas Loungue (7th and chestnut as well) for drinks... fantastic. very low key and easy going.

And for sushi... there's Morimoto's... expensive, but I think pretty damn good. Reservations necessary.

If there's anything else I missed... let me know.

yes I do... Iron Chef Moriomoto. On the food network they previewed the opening of the resturaunt with mogul Stephen Starr (who owns like 7 hot spots here in Philly)...

I've been eating dinner at Jones or drinking at Las Vegas and seen him running across the street and running around... I've eaten there once... I'm not huge into Sushi, but's it's delicious. Thankfully, one of my rich firm lawyer buddies expensed the meal and we ate for free.

Bruce:

I would personally love to go for Thai on friday, i'll talk to my guys, and if they only want to do drinks, or if only some of them want dinner, we can all arrange for Thai, but let's see on Friday.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS:

We will now be meeting at the CGC Booth at >5:30 sharp< to make sure we leave enough time to arrive promptly and hold on to our 6pm reservation. On Saturdays in particular, the restaurant would not wait long before seating others if we were late.

ALSO, due to the size of the party, the restaurant is insisting on "Family-style" service. This basically means we will be choosing a few Italian entrees and appetizers to be shared by all, instead of ordering individually off the menu. This is common for larger parties in many restaurants. If anyone is a vegetarian or requires a menu alternative for whatever reason, please PM me asap so we can look into accommodating you in advance.

UPDATE #8 FINAL "Philly Phorum Get-Together"

Saturday Evening

We'll meet Steve Borock and Paul Litch at the CGC booth and proceed to the restaraunt.

Bruce........Bronzebruce13........Yes

David....... DAM60.....................Yes

Tom..........TomG.......................Yes

Arnold.......Arnoldt......................Yes

Rui............Ariamus....................Yes

Kevin.........Kevthemev...............Yes

????..........Hodeedo0................Yes

Jeremy......Buena Vista..............Yes

Sam..........Yertle........................Yes

Chris.........Chrisco.....................Yes

Brian.........Foolkiller...................Yes

Tom..........RedSkull...................Yes

Dan...........FlyingDonut..............Yes

Ted...........Superworld...............Yes

Bob...........HG Comics...............Yes

Josh .........ComicLink.................Yes

=============================

Friday Evening[/b]

We'll meet at the CGC Booth? and proceed to a restaraunt/bar.

Looks like we may be meeting up with Brian's crew for Thai food and spirits.

Bruce.....................Bronzebruce13...........Yes

George..................Gman..........................Yes

Mike & family.........CGCFan.....................Yes

Brian and crew......Foolkiller.....................Yes

=============================

Looks like bronze bruce,Gman and my brother are all going to be getting silly in Philly friday,surprised Gman is offering drinks on him.Be cool if Gman drank himself and feel flat on his face on the "Streets of Philidephia" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif KS

Guys, it was great to be able to put some faces with names tonight at Philly. I had a really great time - well worth the trip!! Dinner was awesome and I hope to be able to do more forum get togethers in the future.

If anyone is ever in NYC for a con, please be sure to look me up.

Best,

Dave

aka

DAM60