• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d best CGC'd Marvel collection on the block......

56 posts in this topic

Tim,

Excellent incite on your part. Yes, many of my doubles found its way into this guy's collection. They weren't bad books, I just found a higher grade or a PC copy instead. In fact, he's very picky and only bought a superb copy, not just because the CGC said it was 9.4.

Good to see you're alive and well, Tim. I haven't made it to the boards in a while.

Doug

Doug PM sent....congrats, this sounds great! headbang.gif

Roy: looking for a copy of X men #1 in 9.8 or better poke2.gif but am willing to pay as much as $200.

Doug: Are you serious?

Roy: Yeah, why , you don't like Jim Lee?

Doug: yeahok.gif

You have me pegged all wrong - I think the guy is making a killer decision to sell now, and buy a house - I seriously applaud him for it.

But I really have to ask if the guy is buying a couple of Sly Stallone's old mansions with the proceeds, as the books I'm hearing about will generate *serious* capital if he's only selling it to finance a new house.

Then again, if he is moving to LA and will be living between Nicholson and Beatty, then it might make sense.

Maybe he is getting a house built. That would make the most sense.

I realize that, but I was simply making a joke based on how much I estimate his entire collection will bring on the open market.

Harry,

My dupes were expunged a while ago, pretty much when I first opened Pedigree. It's nobody you would know, I don't think.

don't know if you noticed the 27_laughing.gif after my statement................

actually find it truly funny that i was partly correct as Tim points out............ thumbsup2.gif

actually find it truly funny that i was partly correct as Tim points out............ thumbsup2.gif

The disheartening thing is that if you could accumulate all of Doug`s and Tom`s throw aways and "B" copies, you would definitely have the 3rd best Marvel SA collection in the world.

But I really have to ask if the guy is buying a couple of Sly Stallone's old mansions with the proceeds, as the books I'm hearing about will generate *serious* capital if he's only selling it to finance a new house.

What do you think the total proceeds will be? I doubt it will be much more than $1 million. If you`re talking about some of the pricier zip codes in the US, $1 million doesn`t buy you very much at all.

What do you think the total proceeds will be? I doubt it will be much more than $1 million. If you`re talking about some of the pricier zip codes in the US, $1 million doesn`t buy you very much at all.

Only $1 million total? I thought the guy had ALL the early Marvels in CGC 9.4 or higher, with many pedigress, along with a a significant run of books after that?

Maybe my math is off, but my rough estimate comes out to more than what you're saying. I was thinking between $2 and $3 million easy for the entire collection. That's enough to buy a nice estate home/mansion anywhere in the US.

Plus, when you really think about it, no way is the 3rd Best CGC collection on the planet ONLY worth $1 million. That's just not possible. screwy.gif

As always, the amount realized is primarily dependent on the quality of the key books, and whether their asking prices are realized. It will be very interesting to follow the disposition of this collection, and see how the market reacts to what I expect will be exceptional books with "aggressive" price tags.

Sure, but I just don't buy this "he's only selling to finance a home purchase and for no other reason" statement, as supposedly this guy isn't a) rich or b) have a big job, and c) apparently socks all his available money into comics, but he suddenly decided he needs a multi-million dollar estate?

Personally I think he's smart to sell now, and get his money out when the getting's good, but WHY when a collection comes up for sale, why do dealers feel the need to give out all these bizarre reasons? Are they really that scared of how the market will react to a smart collector-investor selling off their assets?

The guy's cashing out, who cares why?

As a long-term committed collector, I've been waiting 12 years for prices on early high grade Silver Age Marvels to depreciate, and I have yet to see it.

See, for those of us who are primarily buyers and not sellers at this stage of our lives, a little price softening would be a very good thing, indeed. I doubt, however, that the release of this extraordinary collection will make it come about. Let's all see how the books are priced, and how well they sell.

Only $1 million total? I thought the guy had ALL the early Marvels in CGC 9.4 or higher, with many pedigress, along with a a significant run of books after that?

Maybe my math is off, but my rough estimate comes out to more than what you're saying. I was thinking between $2 and $3 million easy for the entire collection. That's enough to buy a nice estate home/mansion anywhere in the US.

Plus, when you really think about it, no way is the 3rd Best CGC collection on the planet ONLY worth $1 million. That's just not possible. screwy.gif

$2-$3 million only gets you a two bedroom in my part of town. 893whatthe.gif

$2-$3 million only gets you a two bedroom in my part of town. 893whatthe.gif

Naturally I'm talking about residential areas here, where you can buy actual ESTATES. There's a really nice one in Beverly Hills that is going for a discounted $3.76 million and it's killer.

I'd take that over a "2 bedroom in your part of town" any day of the week. 27_laughing.gif

gotta agree with JC on this one. if there are 464 early marvels covering all of the Keys with 95% at 9.4 or better and 30% of them are Pedigrees, a $2000 average price seems "way too low"...............

i mean almost every book is gonna command at least a Grand and the Keys and older ones should generate Big Bucks. despite all the dire predictions about a softened market, i'm betting this dude will be just rolling in cash in a month......i mean, this is virtually unprecedented........ 893whatthe.gif

i'm most curious about the grades on the dozen Super Keys.......... cloud9.gif

Before this conversation gets too far off-topic into real estate values, let's examine the real gist here:

Does anyone actually believe, as stated here, that the 3rd Best CGC Collection on the Planet is *only* worth $1 million?