• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d best CGC'd Marvel collection on the block......

56 posts in this topic

The guy's cashing out, who cares why?

It appears there's at least one person that does! 27_laughing.gif

Wrong, I don't care about people simply "cashing out" while dealers expound on WHY they're cashing out. I don't care, they do, and therefore I wonder WHY dealers put out so many strange reasons....

It's all very strange, since on one hand, I'm slammed for saying that people should collect for the books and not investment (e.g. "No one pays $150K for a comic without thinking of the investment side"), but when these SAME guys are SELLING off their entire collection, suddenly it's not about cashing out their investments, but some other ethereal reason.

What do you think the total proceeds will be? I doubt it will be much more than $1 million. If you`re talking about some of the pricier zip codes in the US, $1 million doesn`t buy you very much at all.

Only $1 million total? I thought the guy had ALL the early Marvels in CGC 9.4 or higher, with many pedigress, along with a a significant run of books after that?

Maybe my math is off, but my rough estimate comes out to more than what you're saying. I was thinking between $2 and $3 million easy for the entire collection. That's enough to buy a nice estate home/mansion anywhere in the US.

Plus, when you really think about it, no way is the 3rd Best CGC collection on the planet ONLY worth $1 million. That's just not possible. screwy.gif

$2-$3 million only gets you a two bedroom in my part of town. 893whatthe.gif

$2-$3 million will get you a 10,000 sq foot ocean front or intracoastal waterway house in my state.

Before this conversation gets too far off-topic into real estate values, let's examine the real gist here:

Does anyone actually believe, as stated here, that the 3rd Best CGC Collection on the Planet is *only* worth $1 million?

no

As a long-term committed collector, I've been waiting 12 years for prices on early high grade Silver Age Marvels to depreciate, and I have yet to see it.

Long-term is collecting since 1994? 27_laughing.gif

Don't be dense, JC. I've got my OO Bronze collection amassed from 1971-1976 and 1981-1985 (I've told my story about the collection and posted examples many times on the boards), and since '94 have been buying early high grade Silver. Also, 12 years of buying and holding is most assuredly long-term, be the investment in comics, other collectibles, or stocks and bonds. The point, which you seem to have curiously overlooked, is that there has yet to be a significant price depreciation in this sector for at least 12 years, and a small decline would be welcomed by long-term collectors like myself. Capisco?

It's all very strange, since on one hand, I'm slammed for saying that people should collect for the books and not investment (e.g. "No one pays $150K for a comic without thinking of the investment side"), but when these SAME guys are SELLING off their entire collection, suddenly it's not about cashing out their investments, but some other ethereal reason.

I bought a new house in '02, and sold many, many nice books to help pay for the move and various ancilliary expenses. And yet, here I am...still collecting. People sell books all the time for reasons other than "I better sell these books right now and get out of the hobby forever because prices will never be higher!" confused-smiley-013.gif

Just FYI, I live in one of the most expensive places in CA and 2-3 million will get you a pretty decent place. I have to say though, this guy has to have serious money to have afforded those books. Even several years back they were super expensive.

As a long-term committed collector, I've been waiting 12 years for prices on early high grade Silver Age Marvels to depreciate, and I have yet to see it.

Don't be dense, JC.

But he does it so well. confused-smiley-013.gif It's like asking Einstein not to be a genius. Or asking Van Gogh not to paint.

Someone types something this stupid:

Ooooooooooooooooh, a WHOLE 12 years? Someone call the police. 27_laughing.gif

Yet I'm the one being laughed at. Comic geeks sure are a strange bunch. screwy.gif

IThe $1 million is probably right for a profit on those books. A million dollars, by the way, buys you 198 houses in Loudoun County, Virginia, and and 230 houses in Fairfax County. That first house in Reston is down the street from me - a million dollars doesn't get you very much anymore. I'm damn glad I bought my house in 1999.

Oh, and I cashed out my 9.8 slabs to pay for a bathroom remodeling.

C'mon JC how many of us have consistently collected during the past 12 years, seriously. I willing to bet the majority of us haven't, way more. Most of us were probably in and out of the hobby twice during that time.

What do you think the total proceeds will be? I doubt it will be much more than $1 million. If you`re talking about some of the pricier zip codes in the US, $1 million doesn`t buy you very much at all.

Only $1 million total? I thought the guy had ALL the early Marvels in CGC 9.4 or higher, with many pedigress, along with a a significant run of books after that?

Maybe my math is off, but my rough estimate comes out to more than what you're saying. I was thinking between $2 and $3 million easy for the entire collection. That's enough to buy a nice estate home/mansion anywhere in the US.

Plus, when you really think about it, no way is the 3rd Best CGC collection on the planet ONLY worth $1 million. That's just not possible. screwy.gif

My estimate was based on Doug's statement that only 464 books were being sold, not complete runs of every Marvel SA title.

As for my estimate, perhaps $1 million is a bit light (I initially forgot AF 15 foreheadslap.gif), but it still wouldn't be more than $1.5 million for this lot. Basically, I simply made fairly liberal estimates of the prices for most of the major keys, assuming they were all 9.4s except for Hulk #1:

AF 15......$150,000

ASM 1........60,000

Avengers 1..20,000

DD 1...........15,000

FF 1..........100,000

Hulk 1 (9.2)..40,000

JIM 83.........60,000

ST 110........15,000

TOS 39.......40,000

X-Men 1......60,000

That comes to a grand total of $560,000. If any of these books are 9.6s or 9.8s, then the price could go up, and if they're lower grade, then the price will go down. I think it's safe to say this collection will NOT include the 9.6 AF 15, 9.6 FF 1, 9.6 JIM 83, 9.6 ST 110s, 9.6 TOS 39s, 9.4 Hulk 1, 9.4 TTA 27 or 9.4 TTA 35.

The fact is these mega-keys make up a huge percentage of the value of every Marvel run. So the real question is how much are the remainder of the books worth, again assuming an average grade of 9.4? The early ASMs and FFs will generate a few 5-figure books in 9.4, but that's about it. Using YOUR $2-3 million estimate, the remaining 454 books would have to be worth $1.44-$2.44 million, or an average of $3171-5374 per book. I can't see that. You'd be amazed how quickly the values of most titles decline once you get out of the early issues, particularly Avengers, DD, ST, TOS, TTA and X-Men, unless there are a LOT of 9.6s and 9.8s.

I would guess $700K at the most for the rest, or an average of $1541 per book, which therefore brings us to $1.26 million, more than my original estimate but well short of $2-3 million.

These estimates don't even take into account the fact that so much inventory is hitting the market at one time. Presumably, this would drive prices down. If above-average prices are recorded, with so much inventory flooding the market, it would certainly make you wonder what in the world it will take to trigger that darned Great Crash.

Tim's right... there just arent that many big dollar Marvels to add up to 2 or 3 million bucks. Only Spidey, Hulk and FF have 5 figure books in issues 1 - 10 in 9.4+.. and being the 3rd best collection, and not a complete Marvel collection at that, and, given that most were books discarded by the top 2 collections, well, as amazing as these books are all together, we cant exaggerate the final tally.

I dont think more than half of them will sell right away anyway. Too much - - too expensive. We all want them, but at what price???