• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a Superman-Story which doesn't exist ?

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

can anybody tell me if the following story appeared anywhere:

"The Sun-Stealer of space"

writer: Paul Kupperberg

penciller: Irv Novick

inker: Joe Giella

46 pages

Superman battles Solarus

cover artist: Eduardo Barreto

I tried to find it in every comic book I could imagine, but failed.

Appearance could be approx. August, 1985.

archi

Thank you, Jayman, but you are right: This isn't what I wanted.

This story is by John Byrne, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Jerry Ordway, who was also the cover artist.

By the way: It was Swans first art since Byrne introduced the new Superman.

archi

ah, yeah, Sun Devils ...

I had the pleasure of reading the whole 12issue series last year although it's not my usual collecting field.

It was a mixture of Star Wars and Legion of Super-Heroes, well drawn and written and I was very entertained during the read.

"DC Comics presents" would fit into the time range but I know all 97 issues and the four annuals, and in the missing story there isn't any guest star to find.

Thank you so far,

archi

welcome to the boards

i swear, the manners around here are just going to hell. to hell, i say!

whatever the book is, it's not indexed in the GCD. unless of course, you have some of your information wrong

Thanks for the link, rob react, I'll try and ask Mr. Kupperberg himself. If he's still working for DC, he may be able to search within the company/the companies possibilities.

I also tried the GCD and Mike's Indexes, Sal, but I couldn't find it.

The information I have is correct, and the original art is somewhere out there.

archi

I couldn't find a villain named Solarus.

Solaris is a villain created by Grant Morrison specifically for the DC One Million mini-series, published in 1998. He has never appeared outside of this series.

Morrison has said he might use him in an upcoming All Star Superman issue.

There are a few villains (or other characters) in the DC Universe who have the same name but are different characters.

Scorcher was one of them, a character being part of "Dark Nemesis", the group in "Teen Titans Vol. II", and a villain from the New Teen Titans. No relation in any way.

I wrote to Mr. Kupperberg and he said he couldn't remember the story but he thinks he has some more information at home. He wanted to look and write again. Very kind of him !

archi

Thanks for the link, rob react, I'll try and ask Mr. Kupperberg himself. If he's still working for DC, he may be able to search within the company/the companies possibilities.

I also tried the GCD and Mike's Indexes, Sal, but I couldn't find it.

The information I have is correct, and the original art is somewhere out there.

archi

Could you tell us what prompts the question? You apparently know about the story, who did it, but not if it ever was printed? I'm guessing you've seen a scan of the original art and are wondering if it is an unpubbed story?

Just curious...

There are a few villains (or other characters) in the DC Universe who have the same name but are different characters.

Scorcher was one of them, a character being part of "Dark Nemesis", the group in "Teen Titans Vol. II", and a villain from the New Teen Titans. No relation in any way.

I wrote to Mr. Kupperberg and he said he couldn't remember the story but he thinks he has some more information at home. He wanted to look and write again. Very kind of him !

archi

True, but I could not find any reference to any villain named Solarus in the DCU.