• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a standard for forum auctions?

59 posts in this topic

I'm with the too many rules guys.

I've had one forum auction where I took pm bids and everything worked out fine. In fact, since I was communicating directly with the bidders it gave each of us the opportunity to get to know each other better.(I did release the results of all the bids to each bidder after the auction was over...so they wouldn't feel they were scammed).

Same with my bidding on another seller's forum auction...half the fun is the story that I'll tell about the bid. If I tell the same story in a posted bid...it just sounds like I'm trying to pity out the competetion.

Bottom line

It's all like ebay and anywhere else. Better sellers will stand out over time. If anyone has outstanding success then his auction style will be copied by others and then we'll have non-madated conformity instead of a pre-set rigid format.

I have to agree with comicnut though, I have been on this forum for a while now and posted only a minimum of times. I could have feefed up my posts but didn't and to be told that I can't sell or buy is ridiculous!

I have to agree with comicnut though, I have been on this forum for a while now and posted only a minimum of times. I could have feefed up my posts but didn't and to be told that I can't sell or buy is ridiculous!
Agreed. There shouldn't be any restrictions. And if it seems too scary for some then they shouldn't participate. I enjoy the variety of Auction formats here lately.

I never used to look in this forum too often but now I do, and have enjoyed bidding.

Here is a problem,as I see it.

On ebay,one can place a large bid,secure in the fact that he'll get the book for one increment more than the last person bids. Here,someone can wait until the last second,bid two cents more and no one has a chance to bid.Thats already happened.

So,you either bid an amount that could be way more than anyone else,or you risk losing the book.

Sorry, saw a chance and took it! There were no increments posted and it was more in fun than anything else!

I think if the marketplace is going to become a true "auction house", then yes, rules should be applied. Otherwise there will be anomosity towards others when it truly isn't due!

Who will make the rules? Who will have the time to moderate the action? I believe this will cause many headaches for some...

If someone is willing to post a book as an auction on here, THEY need to make the rules and make sure they are abided by. In a post above, someone said it best by saying that the "true sellers" will shine through and set a path for others to follow.

Just my "two cents".

confused-smiley-013.gif

In the pre-ebay days, there was a lot of auction-type sales on the comics newsgroup and one real succesful format was the "ONCE-TWICE-SOLD" method where the auctioneer updates the bids every day, and after 3 days the book is sold. Take a look at an example here.

JMO...but if we as a group can't police our own forum then all is lost... crazy.gif

heck..we out shillers, trimmers, scammers and all the misbegotten ilk in the comic industry I'm sure a scam would be detected and inappropriate behaviour ridiculed....as far as forum auction system as it stands we should do as the Beatles said and "Let It Be"... makepoint.gif

A few improtant points i'd liek to add.

1) Even a hi posting forum member can shill auctions.

2) It should be up to the seller what the rules are.

3) I would prefer all bids be disclosed as this is a public forum, but would not make it a rule.

4) What is to prevent a bidder snipe at 4:58 to go in the 5 minute rule?

Just a few thoughts you may want to throw around.

Roy.

I think any format that doesnt pizz off other forum members is a good format.

Nothing wrong with private PMs, as long as the current bids are updated frequently. As long as you have a cut-off time to place a bid, there should be no issues.

I agree that if you are going to snipe, dont do it with placing a pennies more than the final bid, that is pretty tacky.

I think a seller should just post a bid increment that relates to the value of the book, shipping price, and an optional (but highly encouraged BIN) I seriously doubt we would have too many shill bidders

Hey, adding optional BINs is a great idea! thumbsup2.gif

Regardless of the rules, I've been really enjoying watching all these forum auctions. Hoping to start up my own when I have more time to scan & write up descriptions. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think a seller should just post a bid increment that relates to the value of the book, shipping price, and an optional (but highly encouraged BIN) I seriously doubt we would have too many shill bidders

Regardless of the rules, I've been really enjoying watching all these forum auctions. Hoping to start up my own when I have more time to scan & write up descriptions. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That's what I forgot. Probably should have included BINs for my auctions... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe this has already been said but why not...

Pm all your bids to the seller and the highest bid takes the item. Start the bidding at a low price of around say $6. Then everyone PM's me with their offers and then the best offer takes it. Say you have 3 days to get the offers in. At the end of the 3rd day all the offers are published and the high offer takes it.

That way, it is hard to shill, and you know if someone posts the item then they are serious about selling it.

Yeah, but wouldn't that possibly pose a problem with letting people know everyone's bids. Say there is 2 minutes left and you bid $24.05 and I say oh ok, I bid $24.50 and win.

By Pming the most you will pay may end up making the seller more money, and allowing you to get the book without being cut out of the deal for a few quarters.

Yeah, but wouldn't that possibly pose a problem with letting people know everyone's bids. Say there is 2 minutes left and you bid $24.05 and I say oh ok, I bid $24.50 and win.

What's the problem with that? People get sniped on Ebay all the time.

By Pming the most you will pay may end up making the seller more money, and allowing you to get the book without being cut out of the deal for a few quarters.

I would think the acceptance of "proxy bids" via PM would lead to all sorts of potential problems.

I guess we'll find out on Sunday if my current approach is feasible. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If you post a decent bid increment before auction start a lot of this outbid by pennies stuff goes away. Something that has a realistic value of $25 should have a bid increment of $1 to start.

That's what I forgot. Probably should have included BINs for my auctions... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey thanks guys. Over 200+ posts and I've finally contributed..... yay.gif

Seriously though. BIN would give an idea of what seller is looking for. The only problem is:

I'm selling a hot copy of Thundercats #1 with a BIN of $50

I start the bidding at $1 with $1 bid increments.

Someone offers me $40. Can I take it? Would the seller look bad for taking it? Or would that count as just a bid for $40 and you still have to let time expire?

If you post a decent bid increment before auction start a lot of this outbid by pennies stuff goes away. Something that has a realistic value of $25 should have a bid increment of $1 to start.

I used a $5 bid increment to avoid this problem.