• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you were Steve Borock, What would you do?

112 posts in this topic

I was just pointing out that some recent complaints against graemlins (coming from certain individuals) bogging down the substance of a discussion, and yet what we just witnessed had the same result yet without the icons. Irony.

Mica, do you have a problem with me you'd like to discuss in a non-passive-aggressive manner?

screwy.gif

27_laughing.gif

shy.gif

I was just pointing out that some recent complaints against graemlins (coming from certain individuals) bogging down the substance of a discussion, and yet what we just witnessed had the same result yet without the icons. Irony.

Mica, do you have a problem with me you'd like to discuss in a non-passive-aggressive manner?

screwy.gif

yeahok.gif Wuss. Without your Photoshopped pictures, you're nothing. poke2.gif

I would recommend that they (1) go back to the old definition of restoration that we used for decades before CGC, namely that ANY detected work done to a comic is considered restoration, even if that detection happens at a later time, and (2) grade books independently, without a curve, regardless of census or age, and (3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading.

I would love to see that happen, but would would happen to all the slabs graded under the looser standards?

You're out of order, Counselor. But feel free to take me down a peg, scuba text boy. devil.gif I'll put my Photoshop behind my back.

I think no matter what Steve does, or decides to do, its never gonna be good enough to silence the flack he gets. He will never be able to please everyone, because its human nature to dwell in peoples faults.

signed:

CGC Fanboy

I would recommend that they (1) go back to the old definition of restoration that we used for decades before CGC, namely that ANY detected work done to a comic is considered restoration, even if that detection happens at a later time, and (2) grade books independently, without a curve, regardless of census or age, and (3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading.

Wouldn't want this to get buried under a lot of chit chat(in place of dreaded greamlins)

The first point is valid, and the 2nd point is arguable (I don't believe they grade based on the census, but there are definitely differences in grading GA and SA/BA/MA books due moreso to the differences in the physical construction of the book than any "curve").

However, CGC does "(3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading". Steve has said time and time again that every book gets graded based on it's own merits, and not based upon the submitter. Who does not believe Steve's statements to be true? confused-smiley-013.gif

Concerning grading based on the census, Steve and CGC didn't know me from Adam in 2000, but yet over the last 5 years I have submitted dozens of books that garnered the top-census grade at the time (although some may no longer hold that distinction, they did when I got them graded)! grin.gif

It's not a matter of whether we trust Steve. I've known him for years, and he is definitely a solid guy. But, bias always gets in the way, no matter who you are. That's why you need fool-proof ways to guarantee unbiased grading. That way it's all above suspicion. And that's what a grading company should be: above suspicion.

Anyway, I thought I'd post my opinion, because it's easier to talk about this problem from the outside (without tons of cash tied up in CGC books) than from the inside (where biases due to financial gains or losses will undoubtedly cloud opinion). Those of us with money tied up in CGC books will want to make sure we fix the house of cards without it falling down. Those of us from the outside don't care whether the cards fall down first, as long as their fixed.

Wouldn't want this to get buried under a lot of chit chat(in place of dreaded greamlins)

Who you callin' chit-chat? stooges.gif

You're out of order, Counselor. But feel free to take me down a peg, scuba text boy. devil.gif I'll put my Photoshop behind my back.

Is the answer to my question no, then?

I would enact a policy that cleaning and pressing cannot improve a book's grade more than .5 to end the problem of books going from 4.5 to 9.0.

I would add a term to the user agreement that confidentiality can be broken in cases of fraud, in order to protect the greater industry of buyers.

I would love to see that happen, but would would happen to all the slabs graded under the looser standards?

Try to sell them, or get them regraded. Everyone will take a loss here, but frankly people have been minting money for the past 5 years artificially. When the dust settles, they hobby might just recover.

Is the answer to my question no, then?
My answer would be yes, probably. Not like you care one bit. Back when KrazyKat was booted you lamented that graemlin wars were worse than he was.

Since then you've kept harping about it.

I merely pointed out that you were doing (whether intentional or not) the same thing directly or indirectly that you've been accusing yay.gif of. We all do it to some degree,..... except for the part about the complaining.

I liked the response that I quoted and didn't want to see it get buried under a lot of "hey that's my image you're using huyuck". thumbsup2.gifmakepoint.gif

You meant "flack" right? Freudian slip? confused-smiley-013.gif

signed - Evil Cartoonish CGC Basher!

Flak, not flack. poke2.gif

Wrong. Flack is a variant of flak.

flack

n 1: a slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the

advantage of their employer [syn: flak catcher, flak,

flack catcher]

2: intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the

[embarrassing lack of self control] Party"; "the government has come under attack";

"don't give me any flak" [syn: fire, attack, flak, blast]

3: artillery designed to shoot upward at airplanes [syn: antiaircraft,

antiaircraft gun, flak, pom-pom, ack-ack, ack-ack

gun]

It's not a matter of whether we trust Steve. I've known him for years, and he is definitely a solid guy. But, bias always gets in the way, no matter who you are. That's why you need fool-proof ways to guarantee unbiased grading. That way it's all above suspicion. And that's what a grading company should be: above suspicion.

Where do you feel that bias in the grading process gets introduced? It is my understanding that the "receiving" department does not communicate to the "grading" department where/who the books came from.

That said, I'm sure there are examples of books that come through where the graders know who owns it simply b/c of pedigree or some other personal knowledge of the book. However, Steve has indicated that in these situations the grader with the "bias" will recuse themselves from evaluating those books.

You meant "flack" right? Freudian slip? confused-smiley-013.gif

signed - Evil Cartoonish CGC Basher!

Flak, not flack. poke2.gif

Wrong. Flack is a variant of flak.

flack

n 1: a slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the

advantage of their employer [syn: flak catcher, flak,

flack catcher]

2: intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the

[embarrassing lack of self control] Party"; "the government has come under attack";

"don't give me any flak" [syn: fire, attack, flak, blast]

3: artillery designed to shoot upward at airplanes [syn: antiaircraft,

antiaircraft gun, flak, pom-pom, ack-ack, ack-ack

gun]

sorry.gif Whoops, looks like I have an old dictionary that needs retiring. According to this antiquated tome, there used to be only one spelling. I guess it's time I joined the new millennium and bought one with all these hip new alternate spellings in it. confused-smiley-013.gif