• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 1960's "Car Toons" Mag... Date and Issue #?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Thought the Mag Forum might be the best place to post this query.

Picked this up in a lot a little over a year ago and sort of forgot about it. I was organizing some stuff and I pulled it out and read it:

car_toons.jpg

I'm left with a couple of questions. First, does anyone know what issue # or the date on this specific issue? There no indicia or other publishing info on the interior. The only evidence of a date is a possible distributor mark on the cover "10-21-15"(?) and that fact that the back cover advertises a couple of 1960 Hot Rod and Custom Car Annuals. So, maybe Oct 1960? Any guesses/info would be appreciated.

Also, though I know that I've flipped through 70s/80s Car Toons in the past, I had forgotten just how heavy on sequencial art they were. Though the digest-sized issue here has a couple of text stories and a few one page gags, the majority of the interior is made up of paneled stories. It's at least as much of a comicbook as Mads from the same period. Should these maybe start being considered for inclusion in the "Comic Collecting Hobby, or maybe even in the OS?

They should absolutely be in the OSPG - but so should many undergrounds, and Harvey Kurtzman's HELP! should return to the guide as well. I also think that many of the collectible fanzines from the 60s and 70s should be listed - especially those with sequential art stories (even moreso if the artist is well-known). Don't hold your breath, apparently "Victorian" comics and BLBs are more worthy of space in the price guide.

Cool book - I've never seen a #1 - I imagine it could fetch some coin on ebay if listed properly. I'm a fan of the mid-60s Drag Cartoons with Wonder Warthog stories.

#1, wow... Good news is the were 2 copies in the lot... headbang.gif

I was away for a couple days and I appreciate the info. I'm going to check those links now. Thanks again. Need to consider when how to list one of these perhaps. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif