• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne

11 posts in this topic

Man, I've been looking for a Byrne page to add to my meager collection and I can't believe the price spread on his OA. Vintage X-Men pages go for thousands, while his more recent work can be had for less than a hundred. Are his X-Men (and to a lesser extent FF) pages artificially high do to nostalgia or is it because his current work is held in such low regard? Any comments or advice?

Ray

I hear you on this one. My guess is the nostalgia factor plus the fact that older stuff has changed hands many times thus everyone wanting to inflate the price a little each time on each subsequent sale and then over time those pages are pushed up in price? That's my guess on it.

I don't think the nostalgia factor should be underestimated though.

I don't like most of his art since about the date of around FF 255 or so. For me, his art is collectible for only a 3 year period or so from the late 70's, to the early 80's, with a few exceptions. And as far as his non X-Men art from the same period, I would not pay much more then maybe Buscema or Kane art from the same era.

For most artists, there is an era that is considered their prime. For Byrne, the "magic" occurred during his run on X-Men. His art was fantastic back then, and the stories didn't hurt either! In my opinion, his art has never been the same. Nor should it: artists change over time whether they do it on purpose or not. Unfortunately, while some for the better (and, by better I mean popular appeal), others change for the worse.

For Byrne, his X-Men art will always hold a premium for this reason. And, yeah, I agree that the nostalgia factor does count for a lot too.

For most artists, there is an era that is considered their prime. For Byrne, the "magic" occurred during his run on X-Men. His art was fantastic back then, and the stories didn't hurt either! In my opinion, his art has never been the same. Nor should it: artists change over time whether they do it on purpose or not. Unfortunately, while some for the better (and, by better I mean popular appeal), others change for the worse.

For Byrne, his X-Men art will always hold a premium for this reason. And, yeah, I agree that the nostalgia factor does count for a lot too.

Excellent point.

In reference to the X-Men stuff, it's his best work, it's one of the most beloved runs in the history of superhero comics and it's THE most important run in X-Men history. Those are some significant factors.

Well, here's my opinion.

For X-Men, it was Austin's inking job.

That's why the pages are so high for covers and pages from Byrne/Claremont/Austin era. thumbsup2.gif

I completely agree that Austin made a HUGE difference. Great inkers can make ALL the difference. Look at Miller, Byrne, Starlin, Kirby, and the list goes on and on!!!