• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comicon 2006?

246 posts in this topic

I decided not to wait and made a reservation at the Best Western on Ash Street, between 5th & 6th. For the first time, I'll be within walking distance of the convention center(0.9 miles). And AAA got me $30 off per night.

I'm excited! yay.gif

probably going to bring my oldest son, he's 13....He's Not really into comics, BUT he does read the Simpsons and likes "The Goon" (who doesn't!!)....really looking forward to it. If somebody needs a place to "crash" for a Night,I will probably be in a Hotel "near" the Convention center from Thursday until Saturday afternoon,and we can probably squeeze you in.

I'll be at the manchester this year. All board members are welcome to drop by Fantastic Comics booth and say Hi.

If anyone has an extra exhibitor badge that they'd like to sell me, please PM me. flowerred.gif

Yeah... this goes for me too. It was great having that badge last year. Thanks again to Rich Henn.

As for the hotel... I'll be at the Manchester this year thanks to a nice rewards program at work that got me four nights stay for free! thumbsup2.gif The bad thing is that they could only reserve two nights for me. What's odd is that the nights I got are Friday and Saturday! What the hell is going on during the week that books up Wednesday and Thursday, but not the weekend? confused-smiley-013.gif Anyway, they told me to keep calling in case someone cancels so I call once a week. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It's going to be awesome staying that close to the convention. Last year I was at a Ramata Limited in La Mesa... worst experience of my life. Lost my reservation. Employee scream fight in the lobby while I waited. Customer telling the manager about $400 stolen from their room... while I waited. Second customer with lost reservation... while I waited. Entire family of Employees threaten to quite in the lobby... while I waited. They find me a room acclaim.gif but it needs to be clean... more waiting. More fighting... while I waited. Manager says my room is done acclaim.gif Drag my stuff up to said room... sheets and towels on the floor, door open. Tell the manager... I wait some more. Room is done again acclaim.gif Nope... not done... waiting. Room is done acclaim.gif And it is this time... but it's a smoking room 893censored-thumb.gif Manager tells me it's all they have. 893censored-thumb.gifsorry.gif I stay. The room reeked of smoke. It was almost as if the cigarette was still burning in the room. The window won't open because outside of it is the retaining wall for the pool that was on the next level (the hotel was on a steep hill so the pool behind it was higher than my floor). Lovely view. The bed was a freaking rock. My livingroom floor has more give. TV has three channels. No mini fridge for drinks I brought... ice machine is busted. Big bathroom. Lots of space. Can someone, then, explain why the toilet was so close to the shower that you had to push the shower curtain out of the way to use it? I didn't feel like I could keep anything of value in my room so every piece of art or comic that I bought each day wandered around with me... each day. When I left to come home I was packing my stuff and noticed that the clothes that I hadn't worn (I always take extras) smelled of smoke from sitting in the drawers. It was nasty. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Moral of the story... don't go cheap... pony up the bucks and stay somewhere decent.

What's your rate? I tried your strategy (Fri & Sat only), and sure enough rooms were available. But at $300+/night!! I reserved by Hilton Gaslamp on Comicon's website last year for $200/night. I think they get discounted rates. Do I want to reserve at $300+ now, just to ensure I get one? Or hold out for discounted rates on 2/15?

I decided not to wait and made a reservation at the Best Western on Ash Street, between 5th & 6th. For the first time, I'll be within walking distance of the convention center(0.9 miles). And AAA got me $30 off per night.

I'm excited! yay.gif

Jeff, how close a walk is this?

I'm excited! yay.gif

Just did the same, in case for some reason Feb 15th doesn't turn out the way I want. Thanks for the tip! thumbsup2.gif Better to have 0.9 miles away than 9 miles away. (Although I'm still shooting for Hilton Gaslamp on 2/15.)

Took the Best Western also, think it averaged $124 a night plus tax from Orbitz.

After years of wanting to go to SDCC, and never quite making it, I'm finally going! Booked my flight and hotel reservations last night. I'll be staying at the Wyndham, which apparently is walking distance to the convention center.

So, whatever dinners are being planned, count me in!!!