• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible to press a giant...

9 posts in this topic

...without ruining it? I was looking through my 100 pagers this morning and, with thoughts of pressing and resto in general dancing in my head, thought that it would be close to impossible to press a giant issue, or squarebound. Maybe Greggy was ahead of his time. Any thoughts to the contrary?

Spine area might be close to impossible to press, but I see no reason why corners/edges could not be pressed. Just isolate the area in need for treatment.

There is no reason you can't press a giant or squarebound as long as you're careful. Unless I am losing my mind, I asked Matt Nelson about this last year when we were talking about pressing and he said he can do it. Tracey Heft said last year that he won't do it (except for localized pressing), but I think his technique is different than Matt's so it may not be appropriate for squarebounds with interior staples.

And here I thought I had found an area of the hobby that could possibly be free of tampering and corruption. The hunt continues. sorry.gif

Even if you couldn't press the spine, you could still press out a corner with a tacking iron or with your fingertips. Pressing isn't just using a dry mount press.