• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X2 - The Review (non-spoiler)

27 posts in this topic

OK, this will be the non-spoiler edition of the new X-men movie.

Well, I just got back from the advanced screening of X2. So here is a quicky version for those anxious many. Sorry if things sound vague, but I don't want to ruin it for you (maybe I'll do a spoiler version too smirk.gif )

In a word...WOW! The movie picks up where the last one left off, but you don't necessarily need to see the first one to follow what is happening. Although it does help to follow the references to it. The director (Singer) uses a good mix of action, special effects, suspense, comedy, character development, and a farily solid plot.

It is a well paced thrill ride and I would recommend it to everyone (as if you weren't going to see it anyways).

Plot: Takes a good chunk of X-men lore and adds a few twists, and also a number of new things that have not been discussed in the book.

Characters: Singer develops the characters from the first movie without the problem of discussing origins (except one character). He also brings in new characters and hints at others that could appear in future movies. And there will be future movies as they could easily branch off and do a solo wolverine, or continue doing X movies until the cows come home.

Special effects: Uh, they were pretty good! grin.gif

This one is funnier than the first one, as well as more suspenseful. I think Singer was trying to approach this film from a more realistic point of view. Well, as realistic as a comic book movie can be.

Time: The movie runs 2 hours in length. But at no point did I get up to go to the bathroom, even though I had a large pop. tongue.gif

That is it for now. If you have any questions that do not involve ruining the movie for everyone, I will be glad to answer them.

Oh, and a special thanks goes out to Paradise Comics in Toronto, which is where I won my tickets from. Thanks!!!

A lot. The only character that I felt got shorted on screen time was Cyclops.

And Nightcrawler's bamfing has to be seen to be believed.

And the ending was awesome... a real surprise to me that they were able to keep it under wraps for so long. A group of us gathered by the exit after the movie, and there's nothing like 15+ professional people completely GEEKING OUT over this flick.

I want to see X3!

A TRULY INCREDIBLE FILM and the best movie I've seen since the Two Towers last December.

Kev

That's ok. I was part of that half-full theatre. I was in my seat by 5:45

Did you like the extreme screening methods?

I thought it was kind of amusing that they were so paranoid about people filming the movie that they had security guys checking every bag, purse and jacket pocket. It was even more hilarious that they had guys with metal detectors checking everyone out. I made sure to ask him what time my flight was due to depart.

Kev

They were pretty strict at the X-Men 1 screening I saw. I had just started reviewing new, Hollywood films and it was the first time I had ever actually had to prove who I was and who I was with to get into a screening. Most of them you basically walk right into.

Fellowship... was by far the worst security experience I've ever had at a screening. My paper had to notify the PR agency in advance who was going to be attending, then when I arrived I had to check in with the rep- luckily I knew her by sight or I would have had to show ID, and then I was patted down and my bag was checked out. I was amazed. That was about a month before it opened, so I can understand the extra security, but still...

Did you like the extreme screening methods?

I particularly liked the probes. blush.giftongue.gif

But seriously, that was just incredible. The line-up just to re-enter the theatre after I got a drink was nearly 20 minutes long. I was afraid if I left to go to the bathroom, they wouldn't let me back in. shocked.gif

Saw it last night at midnight. Awesome, incredible. A complete comic movie that kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. 10X better than the first one and 100X better than Daredevil. Hulk is in trouble trying to follow it.