• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Greats

7 posts in this topic

What happens to the "Greats" of the comic field when they no longer are active, yet are still very much capable of drawing ? - It seems that the Adams, Sterankos, Colans, etc.....just seem to disappear.

If say, a Neal Adams went back to do a mini series or even a one shot, it would be huge. I'm not talking about an occassional cover....I'm talking full book..... Frank Miller is still active and he's never been more popular....Alan Moore is the same...and these guys have been around a long time....

I know there are tons of guys out there that still could deliver...Wrightson, Buckler, Starlin, etc.....so where are they ?! -

Wrightson and Starlin are both still very much active. Starlin had the Thanos series that he wrote and drew for Marvel and then did a book for Dynamite called Cosmic Guard. I'm not sure what his current plans are but he's off somewhere drawing something. His art is as good as it's ever been (inked by Al Milgrom no less.)

Wrightson is still working, although not so much in comics. He does a lot of movie work these days (Ghost Rider, Spider-man, Serenity.)

The problem is that the fans all want the greats to go back and do the same old thing. They won't accept Adams doing some new or different, they only want him doing Green Lantern or Batman. Wrightson can only do Swamp Thing, Steranko can only do Nick Fury, etc. And do you think Steranko wants to work for Marvel and Adams for DC again?

These artists HAVE been doing work. Have you bought it?

I know there are tons of guys out there that still could deliver...Wrightson, Buckler, Starlin, etc.....so where are they ?! -

Maybe they have retired...Do you not want to give up working one day? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also I have noticed that Gene Colan is selling a lot of his art on eBay these days. I guess a lot of the classic artists can make a pretty comfortable living these days selling off their old work.

Well, those that got the work back from their employers anyway... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif